General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

The new Honda ATF-DW1

Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up The new Honda ATF-DW1

I would like to provide a quick update on the Honda ATF since I saw people over the Bob is the oil guy are talking about new honda ATF DW-1 which will be using in the new 2011 vehicles and somebody mentioned that it will be compatible with the Z1.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/18-m...s-atf-dw1.html

It is said that it addresses for the low temp.

The new Honda ATF DW-1 will be replacing the current ATF Z-1 and is completely compatible with all Honda models.

Maybe factory fill on some if not all 2011's.

The key benefits for the Honda ATF DW-1 are:
• Low Temperature, Lower Viscosity:

- Better lubrication

- Reduced friction at low temperature

- Improved fuel economy

- High Temperature, Stable Viscosity:

- Maintains film thickness

- Improved protection against breakdown

- Full synthetic, high film strength
another person's info

Lastest on ATF DW-1
The latest info from Honda as of September 3rd:

A new ATF is now available for all Honda vehicles. Honda ATF DW-1 was developed with the intention of improving low temperature fuel economy. DW-1 is capable of maintaining a lower viscosity at lower temperatures resulting in less energy required to move the vehicle during the warm-up period. High/normal temperature viscosity remains the same as the current ATF-Z1.
APPLICATION:
Factory Fill - All 2011+ MY Honda vehicles will come with ATF-DW1.
Mixing - Automatic Transmissions currently filled with ATF-Z1 can be filled or topped off with ATF-DW1. Mixing the two fluids will not negatively affect performance.
Storage - Dealers using bulk storage systems can mix the new ATF-DW1 with the old ATF-Z1 if necessary. However it is recommended that the existing stock of ATF-Z1 be depleted before refilling with ATF-DW1 as mixing the two does deplete the performance advantages of the DW-1.

NOTE:
When all of the transmission fluid is replaced with ATF-DW1 on a vehicle which has previously been operating with ATF-Z1, such as during a transmission or torque converter replacement, the customer may experience a change in shifting feel during cold-start at cold temperatures (below 0C). If a customer is concerned or dissatisfied with this characteristic, simply drain 1L of the ATF DW-1 and fill with 1L of ATF-Z1 to restore the original shift-feel. For this reason, you should maintain a small stock of ATF-Z1 during winter months.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...d.php?p=879338

So now we might be able to use fully synthetic without feeling isolated from the Honda "Z1" community. I am looking forward to using it, if it becomes available.

Last edited by kbook; 10-19-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough
Re: The new Honda ATF-DW1

Niceee!!!

Thanks man!
Old 10-19-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go poke around the dealers sometime to see if i can get a hold of some

I wouldnt mind a 1~2mpg increase lol
Old 10-19-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I have 3 quarts of z-1 left, but I can't wait to try the dw-1 out!

Maybe with a bit of luck it'll help out all of us with failing transmissions.
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

I called the Honda dealer in my area. The part rep told me that it costs $7.70 a qt
It is not different from the z1 so i will try it also.
Old 10-19-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kbook
I called the Honda dealer in my area. The part rep told me that it costs $7.70 a qt
It is not different from the z1 so i will try it also.

I get 20% discount, so about 6 bucks a court, same as the old one, nice
Old 10-21-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

repost, i mentioned this many months ago its rumored to be a full synthetic and many honda mechanics ive since talked to say it is NOT recommended for older transmissions. esp when you will be mixing it with 2/3 of the old fluid (synthetic blend). the newer transmissions are actually designed differently for synthetic fluid. the older trans may experience shifting problems using the new fluid and you probably will even develop slipping gears due to the synthetic being introduced into an older trans with contamination and deposits. i got convinced enough that its a bad idea. full synthetic trans fluid (mobil1, but still) has caused trans failure on this board in the past. i love how those guys on the other forum guess and speculate without any facts. Z1 isnt going anywhere, there are still 20+ yrs of old cars that depend on it. thats like discontinuing 5w30 oil and say everyone now starts using 5w20. bottom line, the new trans fluid is a thinner synthetic, probably for better gas mileage since honda cant seem to design cars to be more efficient on their own. their engines from 10-20 yrs ago get better mileage than the newer models.
Old 10-21-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is no chance a thinner fluid will help slipping caused by mechanical wear of the clutch packs. most likely it will become worse.

Old 10-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Cool, thx for the clarification Gearbox.

Back to trying to decide to manual convert, or rebuild my POS auto.
Old 10-21-2010
Premium Member

i know, im in the same boat. part of me just wants to do a kswap and call it a day. everywhere ive talked to say the auto to manual swap will cost a ton of labor, and i would have to make sure to source all the correct parts. auto is just as bad, most place want $3-5k for a rebuild which i doubt will last. and i hate to just throw up my hands and have a used trans swapped in (still expensive) and then in the back of my mind wonder whether the previous owner beat the crap out of it, and what will happen in a few yrs again from defects. we still dont know if 05 trans has the same issues, or we will find out as they get older... autos are the worst thing about these cars and a ticking bomb waiting to fail. for $5k you could get a whole engine swap and be done.

if you want more lubrication and longer trans fluid life, lc20 additive will pretty much give you all the benefits this new fluid is claiming, without any side effects. altho, the lc20 did not help with the slipping at all. but at least it hasnt gotten worse.
Old 10-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I was quoted $2500 for labor on a kswap with manual conversion, plus 5-6k in parts, basically the value of the car. So, I'm considering attempting to rebuild a junk trans with an IPT rebuild kit like the other member from here did.

With the number of us here who need rebuild kits, I wonder if we could set up a group buy?
Old 10-21-2010
Registered!!

I agreed with gearbox also. I'll try them a try and see how the transmission reacts to the fluid since the quote I grabbed from other web mentioned thing like is the customer doesn't like the shift of the new fluid then the tech had to put the z1 back.

My friend had exp where he changed accord 92 trans fluid that lacked trans maintenance and it died 10 month after getting fluid changed.
Old 10-21-2010
Registered!!

Yeah that's funny. If my trans fails, it maybe a great opportunity to get civic si or k swap for sure. Kswap is really expensive so it is around $7k all together?
Old 10-21-2010
Premium Member

i just did our 92 accord recently with z1 and its running like a champ. its a fairly neglected car and i havent been around to take care of it, but at 90k the trans shifts smooth as butter. i try and change the fluid yearly otherwise the shifts get rough. i think we only did the fluid a couple times since new.

and yeah, i would love a kswap but for now no money to even think about it. altho, it would mean the car is pretty much new again as far as powertrain goes so it might be worth it if car lasts another 5-10 yrs.
Old 10-21-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i just did our 92 accord recently with z1 and its running like a champ. its a fairly neglected car and i havent been around to take care of it, but at 90k the trans shifts smooth as butter. i try and change the fluid yearly otherwise the shifts get rough. i think we only did the fluid a couple times since new.

and yeah, i would love a kswap but for now no money to even think about it. altho, it would mean the car is pretty much new again as far as powertrain goes so it might be worth it if car lasts another 5-10 yrs.
Yeah my friend's Accord, apparently, lacked of maintenance and using regular DEX/MERC probably kill the trans too.

I decided to keep my civic for another 5 years at least and I will try to set money aside for the new car or swap. At least, cheaper than buying a new SI for sure. Going thru all the payments for the last five years were painful.
I hope at that time, I can find a cheap k then rebuild and put it in.
Old 10-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Maybe in a couple years the cost of doing swaps into 7th gens will come down..

My friends Integra swap was only a G installed, that only covers the mounts and wiring harness for a k swap.
Old 10-22-2010
Premium Member

^thats what ive been hoping since 2002 lol. i would even settle for the a3 with hondata im not picky.
Old 10-22-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearbox
^thats what ive been hoping since 2002 lol. i would even settle for the a3 with hondata im not picky.
lol..

I`d settle for someone rear ending my car, and writing it off if it means I can kiss this auto trans goodbye.
Old 10-23-2010
Registered!!

Not related to the original topic but I would like to know anyway.

Usually, when people get the Used k engine, they should rebuild them first right? Inspect valve, pistons and etc before they drop the motor in?
Old 10-23-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Usually the motors people buy for swaps are low mileage jdm units, no need to rebuild. Thats especially true with K motors since they were first released in 2002.
Old 10-24-2010
Premium Member

yeah unless your motor has over 100k then no need to rebuild. just buy from a reputable source.
Old 10-25-2010
Registered!!

cool!! Thanks guys.
Old 10-26-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by kbook
Yeah that's funny. If my trans fails, it maybe a great opportunity to get civic si or k swap for sure. Kswap is really expensive so it is around $7k all together?
My transmission slipped badly today, so I got pissed off and took a k-swap parts list to the scrap yard. I'm only posting this, because K-swap cost was discussed earlier in the thread. The prices might be a bit more up to date than the XProductionz numbers, but the list is definitely missing the odd part..

RSX headers- 20.00
RSX Downpipe- 30.00
k20 intermediate shaft- 95.00
Civic Si axles- 100.00
RSX subframe- 150.00
Shifter Assembly- 45.00
Shifter Cables- 40.00
Radiator- 100.00
Fans- 30.00
Radiator hoses- 25.00
95 civic throttle cable- 5.00
Si AC line- 100.00
RSX clutch line- 20.00
RSX power steering hose- 85.00
RSX power steering return line- 25.00
95 civic power steering reservoir- 30.00
01-05 Civic manual pedal assembly- 30.00
01-05 Civic clutch master cylinder- 20.00
01-05 Civic shifter trim- 20.00
Hybrid Engine Harness- 300.00
Mounts-400.00
k20a3 complete swap- 2000.00

Total: 3910.00

Last edited by MindBomber; 10-26-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2010
Registered!!

I looked up on a website called JSH ??? they sell JDM K20a . That Type R engine is really expensive. At this point, I really have no clue but the price is tempting. But is the K20a3 has around 160HP?
Old 10-26-2010
Premium Member

if you get the a3, you need hondata flash. i wouldnt even bother without it cause its almost as slow as the civic engine. $4k installed for an a3 swap seems very fair to me, thats cheaper than some auto trans rebuild i got quoted.
Old 10-26-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The K20a3 is 160hp, K20a2 is 200hp and K20a is 220hp.

The price is less than I expected it would be, my friend just spent $3500 to have a manual swap done in his Prelude, so I expect my cars would cost at least that much. Going with a k20a3 you could get a better motor and the manual for only a bit more than that, even with with Hondata.
Old 10-27-2010
Premium Member

yeah the a3 output is very similar to the older civic SI which is around 140WHP. its lil better than the d17 (100-110WHP) but not by much. maybe cause the rsx is also heavier idk. and manual would ofcourse have some more hp compared to auto since there is less power loss thru the trans. i think the auto a3 is only around 125WHP. with a few boltons and hondata, its a huge difference like a new motor. but, you gotta use premium gas.