General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Jack Points - Driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough
Jack Points - Driving me crazy!

Okay, so I don't have a hydraulic floor jack. I use the OEM floor jack that came with the car.

Here's the issue: Where can I jack the car up so I can place the jack stands at the 4 jack points?

I've tried jacking it next to the jack points so I can squeeze the jack stands next to the points but the problem with this is the metal spots bend because they're soft(er). I've tried other spots but they bend too. The metal is too soft. The only part that's not soft are the jack points but I need those for the jack stands.

Check out pics of points I've used that I've managed to bend:

Name:  SAM_1120.jpg
Views: 15623
Size:  56.9 KB
Name:  SAM_1118.jpg
Views: 18639
Size:  70.1 KB

It doesn't look bent but it is:
Name:  SAM_1114.jpg
Views: 8092
Size:  62.7 KB

I didn't take a pic of the spot next to jack point but trust me it's worse.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Nosepicker; 10-12-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough
Re: Jack Points - Driving me crazy!

Buy a 3 ton floor jack, that jack is really for emergency use only.
Old 10-12-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i dont see how you can do it with a floor jack either? i have one and still have to use the soft metal next to the jack point. there is only room for either the jack or the stand in that spot. both sides of my car are totally dented from having to do that. luckily i have sideskirts or it would look like a mess.

Last edited by gearbox; 10-12-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gearbox
i dont see how you can do it with a floor jack either? i have one and still have to use the soft metal next to the jack point. there is only room for either the jack or the stand in that spot.
Exactly!!!

WTF Honda!!!

It sucks because I can hear & see the soft metal bending.

Then I used that axle point in the pics or whatever you call it and it still bends.
Old 10-12-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I've known people using it on the axel, you could try that
Old 10-12-2010
Registered!!

I just thought of something...I think I'll just use that jack point in the pic above and place a 4x4 wood between the floor jack & jack point. This way the soft metal won't bend.

I'm a freakin' genius!!!

LOL!
Old 10-12-2010
Banned

Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Why dont you just use the jack point on the subframe below the rad...?
Old 10-12-2010
Registered!!

breathingsulfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nosepicker
I just thought of something...I think I'll just use that jack point in the pic above and place a 4x4 wood between the floor jack & jack point. This way the soft metal won't bend.

I'm a freakin' genius!!!

LOL!
that is genius lol
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

kyle_l88 will become famous soon enoughkyle_l88 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nosepicker

I'm a freakin' genius!!!

LOL!
Hahah yea that would work too bad i never thought of that.

But yea like gearbox said, I used that area next to the jack point as well. Not really much to can do. Mines all bent to **** too but the sideskirts do their job . I don't think its messing anything up either, at least not that i can tell.
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

i always put the jack on those bolts by the jack point then put the jack stand on the real part. mine dont bend?
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Corners are stronger than flat spots. But yeah, I bend my **** up too. I did get it one time from the middle around the engine somewhere that was nice and strong.but I had to stick a large jack all of the way underneath the front end.

I agree that you should not be using that for servicing, but at least you are using stands!
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point

I struggled with this issue and I also have a hydrolic jack but usually just jacked at the rear (side) jack point until I had enough clearance for the jack stand up front. It barely clears on lowest knotch of my stand though. There is a spot up front with an arrow pointing to the recommended jack point would post a pic but don't have a camera today It is so much easier!!! Also if you have access to a harbor frieght you can pick up a decent jack for $40 and save your arm from some cranking
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

y not jack it up by the frame
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

Awhile back when I did my timing belt kit change I borrowed a hydraulic floor jack from my friend. It was one of those cheap Harbor Freight floor jacks. The problem with this was that at its highest point I still couldn't get the jack stand under the jack point. And it still bent the soft metal.

Seems like there's no other way other than what I suggested in post #6.
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

OMG guys! I took pics for ya.

In the center of the car in the front:
Name:  frontjackpoint.jpg
Views: 23009
Size:  81.7 KB

In the center in the rear:
Name:  rearjackpoint.jpg
Views: 13869
Size:  83.0 KB

Jack it up in the center where I showed ya then put it on stands from there. It'll work, I use them all the time.

Last edited by lazlong; 10-18-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

^ do that
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

CGaud is an unknown quantity at this point

Word! Def will give you enough clearance... It could depend on the stands you use though. I have ones with a deep u shape and others that have less of a bend which I prefer to use on my civic.
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lazlong
OMG guys! I took pics for ya.

Jack it up in the center where I showed ya then put it on stands from there. It'll work, I use them all the time.
We all just got pwned!

Last edited by Mad Dog Tannen; 10-19-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Come on guys there are 6 jack points. There is 1 in front of the car and 1 in the back of the car. Then there are the other 4 between the tires. There is 1 on the left and 1 on the right on each side of the car. There are also more jack points than this but those are the main ones.
Old 10-19-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I'd like to add, if you can, get a decent floor jack. I got a 3 ton floor jack for like 50 bucks. Money well spent. Lifts the car way higher than I thought and gives me more than enough clearance to slide the stands under the car.
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Thanks Lazlong.

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
We all just got pwned!
Y'all should be kissing my hairy ***** for creating this thread. Otherwise, we would have had bent, eventually leading to holes, jack points.

BTW, as I mentioned, some floor jacks do not lift the car high enough to get the jack stands underneath the points. With that said, make sure you buy the mid-higher end models.
Old 10-19-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah. I went to Harbor Freight and got a good one. I had a shitty one from another store which barely lifted my car . Needless to say I was pissed when I needed to work on my car.
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Didn't CLEFT (or whatever his screen name is) mentioned in his Timing Belt DIY to never lift the car from the front or rear as it would bend the subframe? That's probably the reason why I stayed away from doing that.

Dammit!

Last edited by Nosepicker; 10-19-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2010
Trance Addict

I dunno. I always used the 2 areas Lazlong pointed out. I'll keep those other locations in mind for next time though that 02 mentioned.
Old 10-19-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

The plastic piece under the bumper in the front even have an arrow to point where to place the jack.
The rears i use the frame for the control arms (where the sway bar is attached to the chassis).
Old 10-19-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
The plastic piece under the bumper in the front even have an arrow to point where to place the jack.
The rears i use the frame for the control arms (where the sway bar is attached to the chassis).
Yes this is also a jack point as well. You can also jack up right where the knuckle and control arm meet at. There is also jack points towards the center of the car on each side. They usually use these points on lifts. Its behind the regular jack points, its the very long part that extends down and goes from the front wheel to the rear wheel. And yes you can jack up on the sub frame. The sub frame is a very sturdy and very durable, hell the thing weighs bout 100 lbs. Usually the front jack point is on the subframe anyway.
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Deviant117 is an unknown quantity at this point

Put a 2 foot long 2x4 on a soft spot and jack that. It'll go right up and distribute the weight better.
Old 10-19-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Deviant117
Put a 2 foot long 2x4 on a soft spot and jack that. It'll go right up and distribute the weight better.
Another genius!

Great minds think alike.