General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

97 Hatchback water leak in the hatch

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaveLHatchback is an unknown quantity at this point
97 Hatchback water leak in the hatch

I have a small pool of water in the spare tire area every time it rains. I can't spot where the water is coming in. Anybody had similar issues and have a fix?
Old 10-07-2010
Registered!!

barkbuster is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 97 Hatchback water leak in the hatch

I had the same issue with my 91 civic DX. The gaskets around the tail lights were shot. Also the light assy. attached to the trunk(reverse lights and running lights I think). Replace the gaskets is probably the way to go. I just ran a bead of silicone around each opening with the light assy removed. No more water in truck.
Old 10-12-2010
Registered!!

DaveLHatchback is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 97 Hatchback water leak in the hatch

The water was coming in by penetrating the gaskets around the tail lights. I did too much work to repair, removing one of the gaskets. The gaskets are silicone glued to the body. The easy repair is just put a heavy bead of silicone around the entire gasket perimeter, or a thin bead of silicone above and below the gasket, then re-attach the light. From the factory there is a silicone bead on both sides of the gasket.

I also had to remove the (2) air vent ports, located below the lights. Each vent is attached to the body with (2) plastic push-locks. The plastic push-locks must be removed from the inside or guaranteed they will break. Both vents were saturated with water. I dried them out for a couple of days, then put a heavy bead of silicone around the gasket perimeter, then re-attach.