General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

2001 civic intermediately runs rough

Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radar1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 civic intermediately runs rough

Have a 01 civic with auto tranny. Almost daily when I start it within a minute it will run like it's out of gas, but only after I drive about 50ft.. I can shut it off and immediately turn it back on and it will run just fine. It doesn't matter hot or cold, and it doen't do it every time but at least daily. It will run so bad that it will not pull itself. I have been able to put it in park and after a few minutes it will clear up and be good to go. No lights showing up and the computer is showing no codes. Any ideas???
Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2001 civic intermediately runs rough

maybe change the fuel filter and get a tune up like plugs,air filter and maybe try a fuel suystem cleaner like tecron or gumont.
Old 04-07-2010
rzc
Registered!!

rzc is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to get new coilpacks back when... and also did use the techron which cleaned up whatever gunk it was then. I switched back to NGK as suggested in the link below. Still getting about 40 t0 42 mpg and started using lubecontrol for 2 months now (btw Gearbox I havent noticed any drastic change yet???) Im at about 280,000+ miles on an 01 LX and still going with the original clutch and tranny. Almost forgot had a crack on my exhaust manifold but replaced it which another OE back when.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ml#post4245793

Last edited by rzc; 04-07-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good suggestions above. Also clean your Throttle body sensors and valves, it's probably due and is always good to stay on top of. It can cause this problem. When you start the car up does it blow white smoke out of the exhaust? It's possible you have a head gasket issue and the coolant is seeping into your cylinders and burning up when you first start the car making it stumble.
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

The car does not smoke when this happens. I dont believe it would be a head gasket " no symptoms there" and I can drive it for an hour and shut it off for 5 minutes and sometimes it will do it and sometimes not. Coils checked out ok. Is the only fuel filter on this car in the tank? Auto parts store says it's in tank. If this was the problem wouldn't it run bad all the time "I'd think so" and more than likely throw a code? Thanks for the ideas
Radar1
Old 04-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Clean your throttle body sensors and valves. That's a great place to start and it's almost free. Just need some throttle body cleaner.
Old 04-07-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if you see the rpm drop below 700 before it dies, its an idle issue and you should be checking the idle air valve and throttle body parts for carbon buildup. if the car drives fine sometimes, its not the fuel pump.
Old 04-15-2010
Registered!!

02 sensor was the culprit. I'd never thought one could do this.
Old 04-15-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its possible, because when they get old, the response time drops. so pressing the gas quickly doesnt give the sensor enough time to send info back to the ecu. i noticed it too but wasnt bad enough to where the car wouldnt move forward. your check engine light shouldve come on tho if there was o2 sensor problems.
Old 04-15-2010
Registered!!

lewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura about

how much did it cost u to replace th O2 sensor?
Old 04-16-2010
Premium Member

01-03 civic $50 each
04-05 civic $250 each
Old 04-17-2010
Registered!!

lewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura about

^
thanks
Old 04-17-2010
Registered!!

How old is old? The car has 65k original miles. It would also start running rough just sitting in park half the time,"before driving it"; but I could shut it off and restart and it would run like a dream. Since I'm going back to school I didn't have the time to track the problem down and I didn't want to get stranded on the interstate so I took it to the best shop in my town. These guys are honest but expensive; cost 300 bills. OUCH!!!!! Just glad to get it fixed. Thanks for the suggestions.
Radar1
Old 09-01-2010
Registered!!

gudoffer is an unknown quantity at this point

where do u buy the O2 sensor for 01 civic for $50?

my o2 sensor light doesnt come on, came on once and went away. but yea cars at almost 195 000 km and it sucks on gas, runs without power...

should i change my sensor?
Old 09-01-2010
Premium Member

it will come on again, when the sensor gets old the response time goes down and thats why sometimes the light will come and go. its time for a new one. i got my bosch oem type sensors from advance auto for 01-03 civic. i can check part numbers but you should figure out if its the primary or secondary sensor thats bad.