General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Camshaft position sensor malfunction issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gangulyarchan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Camshaft position sensor malfunction issue

Hi,

I have a strange situation here. Yesterday the engine check light came on. I went to the local AutoZone and they checked the code with a OBD II reader. It came up as P0430- Cam shaft position indicator malfunction. I am not sure whether he cleared the code or not but after starting the car while leaving Auto Zone the check engine light went off.

Today I went to a reputed local mechanic and he said he would connect the car to his computer and check for any codes. He said he could not find any codes and that all was well with the car's engine. He said the O2 sensor and the idle air intake and everything else is fine with the engine. He asked me to add an engine cleaning additive saying that some particles in the gasoline can make the sensor malfunction. I am not sure whom to trust now, the OBDII reader at AutoZone or this mechanic.

This is a used car which I bought 2 months back and has 126k on it. The car is in really good condition. I have had no issues with it in the 1000 miles I have driven it. I got it checked by a Honda mechanic before I got it and he said everything was fine with it. I have had no stalling issues, knocking or any other symptoms associated with engine problems. I am getting around 28 miles to a gallon in all city driving. So before the check engine light came on and even now no one can detect any problems with the car.

So here are my questions -:

a) Should I go to a Firestone and get the engine checkup diagnostic done and shell out 120 dollars or should I wait for some more
time for the Check engine light to come up again and then go there?

b) Or should I get the camshaft position sensor replaced right now?

This is my first car and hence I might be sounding a bit paranoid. I have no idea what's going on with my car and need some advice.
Eagerly awaiting a response.

Thanks for your time.
Archan.
Old 03-12-2010
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Camshaft position sensor malfunction issue

Wait for the light to come back on. I had that sensor replaced a while back and its not cheap. Have you gotten your timing belt and water pump replaced yet?
Old 03-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gangulyarchan is an unknown quantity at this point

@lordhelmet - Thanks a lot for your response. Since I got this car when it had 125k on it, I have no way to check if the timing belt and water pump had been changed or not. The Honda mechanic who checked the car said the change should have been done at 90k. Since it was a single owner car and looks and feels well maintained I believe the belt was most likely changed. I have no way of telling for sure though.
Is there any connection between the timing belt and the Camshaft position sensor malfunction?
Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2010
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

To replace the sensor is basically the same steps you must take to replace timing belt and water pump. If you haven't replaced those yet I'd say replace the sensor at the same time. If your sensor craps out be prepared to have your car towed to the shop.