General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Idle Air Control

Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dagua002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Idle Air Control

can anyone help me locate the idle air control valve, i'm having major problems.

i have a 2000 Civic Ex

thanks!
Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Idle Air Control

should be somewhere on the throttle body
Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

i'm fairly new to this, where is the throttle body?
Old 01-21-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its the smaller piece screwed to the throttle body, where the two coolant hoses feed into. #2 in the pic, below the throttle body. throttle body is after the air intake, but before the intake manifold.

Old 01-21-2010
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

whats the problem your having?
Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

my car starts choking up as if it were going to turn off. and the check engine light is on and says there's a problem with the idle air control valve.
Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dagua002
my car starts choking up as if it were going to turn off. and the check engine light is on and says there's a problem with the idle air control valve.
Don't buy a new IAC valve, you will be wasting your money. It's very rare that they need to be replaced. The check engine light is just telling you that there is a problem with the air system.

Most likely, the IAC valve needs to be removed and cleaned. Perhaps the throttlebody needs to be cleaned as well. Check to see if you are leaking air anywhere.

Oh yeah, and don't touch your throttle body idle screw.

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 01-21-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

yea i'm not replacing the iac valve just yet. i'm taking it out and cleaning it first to see if that works. buying a new iac valve is my last resort. is there anything else that might be causing this?
Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

nothing else i could think of... ur iac valve is just prob clogged. so just take it out n clean it
Old 01-22-2010
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

You're going to have to take off the TB to get the iac valve since yours is at the bottom. I would clean the TB as well. Cover any sensors with a rubber band and a plastic bag (or whatever). Spray out the holes with carb or brake cleaner and make sure it's all clean. When you put the IAC back on, put a little oil on the seal so it expands a bit.
Old 01-26-2010
Registered!!

where can i find the o-ring for the iac???????
Old 01-27-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

got mine from honda dealer for around $2
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

i cleaned the IAC but it still chokes up but barely only at high rpms. there is a black piece in the IAC i wanted to know if that can be removed??
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

RonJ will become famous soon enough

No part inside the IACV should be removed.

What specific OBDII code for the IACV is the ECU throwing? I ask because there is more than one, and troubleshooting for each code is different. In addition, the IACV is only one possible cause for an idle problem.

Finally, you mention that the engine bogs at high rpm. This does not fit with an idle problem and sounds more like misfiring. How old are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor?
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

I went to atozone and the checked the code it came back with Idle Air Control problem i'm not sure the code though. what else can be the idle problem??? and i have no idea how old the spark plugs and wires are. and whats cap and rotor? i'm new to this so i might ask dumb questions
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

In the hood fuse box, there's a 7.5A fuse labeled Back Up. Remove this fuse for a few minutes and then reinstall it. This will clear all CEL codes from the ECU. Then drive the car and if the CEL turns on and remains on, bring the car back to AutoZone to have them pull the CEL codes again. Post all retrieved codes in your thread.

If you don't know how old are the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor, then you should probably replace them.

Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

what spark plus and plug wires do you recommend? where can i buy the cap and rotor?
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

I went to atozone and the checked the code it came back with Idle Air Control problem i'm not sure the code though. what else can be the idle problem??? and i have no idea how old the spark plugs and wires are. and whats cap and rotor? i'm new to this so i might ask dumb questions
There are many reasons idle could be off, not just the IAC valve. Air leak, coolant leak, TB/IAC valve dirty, head gasket. Your check engine light is pointing to one or a combination of these. I had a similar problem, same check engine light, and the problem turned out to be a combination of leaking radiator fluid, a vacuum leak, and a dirty tb/iac valve.
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

what spark plus and plug wires do you recommend? where can i buy the cap and rotor?
Honda, or napa autoparts sells a japanse cap/rotor. But the prices are about the same.

Though I wouldn't change it just yet. Check the cap and clean the electrodes. If it doesn't improve anything, it's unlikely to be spark related. NGK copper V-power plugs are just fine.
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
There are many reasons idle could be off, not just the IAC valve. Air leak, coolant leak, TB/IAC valve dirty, head gasket. Your check engine light is pointing to one or a combination of these. I had a similar problem, same check engine light, and the problem turned out to be a combination of leaking radiator fluid, a vacuum leak, and a dirty tb/iac valve.
whats a vacuum leak?? i can clean the TB with the carburator cleaner??
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

A vacuum leak would not cause a low idle.

Post your CEL codes.

Again, if you don't know how old the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are, just replace them.
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

alright i will as soon as i get them
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

my CEL never turned on but its still doing the samething. it chokes up while i drive but doesnt stall out or anything. any suggestions why it still might be happening?
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RonJ
Again, if you don't know how old the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are, just replace them.
-----------------------
Old 01-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
Honda, or napa autoparts sells a japanse cap/rotor. But the prices are about the same.

Though I wouldn't change it just yet. Check the cap and clean the electrodes. If it doesn't improve anything, it's unlikely to be spark related. NGK copper V-power plugs are just fine.
how do i clean the electrodes?
Old 01-29-2010
Premium Member

alcohol and a cotton swab?
Old 01-29-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
alcohol and a cotton swab?
It won't get the corrosion off. You need a small flathead screwdriver to gently push the stuff off, but not so hard that you scrape into the delicate metallic electrode.
Old 01-29-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Ok first of all dont always trust autozones codes, they give the right codes but there descriptions most the time is wrong. So you need to get the service manual for your car and the codes are under the fuel and emissions section. And it will show the page where you can diagnose the problem.

And the best way to get corrosion off is use some baking soda with water or coca cola.
Old 01-29-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
Ok first of all dont always trust autozones codes, they give the right codes but there descriptions most the time is wrong. So you need to get the service manual for your car and the codes are under the fuel and emissions section. And it will show the page where you can diagnose the problem.

And the best way to get corrosion off is use some baking soda with water or coca cola.
I forgot it's the same corrosion as battery terminals, duh. Baking soda ftw. (not to be confused with baking powder)