General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Engine hesitation

Old 01-13-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SnoBall92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Engine hesitation

I've been looking at all sorts of posts, and have had no luck finding a problem like mine. Maybe I haven't read far enough (been reading 3 hours), forgive me if I missed it. I have a hesitation problem with my car ... it has a D16Y7 engine, automatic, have a 92 dx or cx body ... engine was swapped when I bought the car.

ONLY when my car is cold and around 89-100km/tank & 300km/tank it'll almost stall (feels as though I completely took my foot off the gas pedal) and about 5-10 seconds later it feels like I slammed the pedal to the floor, then it'll repeat maybe once or twice and it'll be fine. Is there a way to solve this?

I have taken my car to a few shops ... they keep telling me nothing is wrong, but obviously something is. I'm really frustrated with this and hoping someone has suggestions. Please help me

Last edited by SnoBall92; 01-13-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine hesitation

clean out the intake system (throttle body, the idle air sensor bolted to it, fast idle thermo valve, etc). could be a faulty tps sensor too which would require replacing the whole throttle body.
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
clean out the intake system (throttle body, the idle air sensor bolted to it, fast idle thermo valve, etc). could be a faulty tps sensor too which would require replacing the whole throttle body.
What about his fuel pump?
Old 01-14-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i guess its possible but i dont see how it would cause his problem. either the pressure is below spec and will cause all sorts of problems while driving like power loss, or its at spec and delivers fuel. i would blame clogged injectors before a fuel pump too.
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

nah not fuel pump.. fuel pump is usually one or the other, good or bad, never in between. if fuel is getting to the injectors the fuel pump is good. get some injector cleaner and dump it in your gas tank and clean out your idle valve like gearbox said. i think you should be good!

also, idk if this applies to you but in our d17s a dirty MAP sensor can cause this problem. my map was dirty and it had the same exact problem. clean out your map sensor (if you have one?)
Old 01-15-2009
Registered!!

fuel pump is fine ... used injector cleaner a week after we changed the fuel filter ... thought we caught it, found out still does it ... thanks for the ideas ... gonna check them out this weekend since the hood will be up
Old 01-19-2009
Registered!!

D16Fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

replace your fuel filter. i bet you a stalling honda civic thats the problem
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

Fuel filter was changed shortly after I bought the car, hesitation didn't go away. So it's not that, but can't check anything else at the moment.

The car is dead! Temporarily.

White smoke coming out the exhaust, smells like gas, engine light is on, horribly rough idle, fluids are topped up (and were before this problem started).

Would run the car over a cliff if the brakes weren't brand new!! Someone can come steal it ... I won't mind!

Last edited by SnoBall92; 01-21-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2009
Registered!!

rck0669 is an unknown quantity at this point

my car did the same thing i changed my cool temp sensor and it went away
Old 01-25-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

White smoke- blew the head gasket most likely.
Old 02-03-2009
Registered!!

Head gasket is perfectly fine ... mechaincs have no idea what it was ... we just reset my comp and it seems to be fine ... for now ... not sure if it still hesitates, i'll find out in the morning
Old 02-03-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Damn man, you would have a much easier time diagnosing whats wrong with an electronic unit that connects to your odb2 port that displays throttle position, fuel pressure, voltages, etc...
Old 02-03-2009
Registered!!

Boosted EP3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my 98 LX and ou wont believe how simple it was. One of the spark plg wires was faulty causing sporadic connection. It would idle fine then while driving it would stutter and hesitate really bad then the RPM's you jump really high. Eventually it would miss al the time, the check engine light came on and the white smoke started. My wires still looked like new and they werent that old so even if you cant tell I would recomend changing them. Heck it,s alot cheaper than the fuel pump.
Old 02-03-2009
Registered!!

pacotaco is an unknown quantity at this point

fuel injectors i think thats whats wrong with mine is it like a cut cut or is it a cut and then peirod then throttle
Old 03-08-2009
Registered!!

Thanks ... still don't know what was wrong with it, but it seems fine now. The plug wires are less than a year old ... one of the first things I changed when I bought the car ... don't think the person before me knew what regular check-ups were.
Old 03-08-2009
Registered!!

bigaudiofanatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Were do you live I will come steal it if your close enough always wanted a project car.
Old 03-09-2009
Registered!!

ramonjones16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude I had a similar problem. There is a number of things it could be. One I've seen engine stalling due to carbon build up in the fuel injection site. That could be what is causing your motor to sputter like you described because the flow of fuel to you cylinders isnt constant. Like someone previously stated clean out your intake system and replace air filter if needed. If you are driving in cold weather consider getting a cold air intake it helps using the cold air in during combustion in the cylinder. Also like someone previously stated spark plugs and spark plug wires check them if you have any oil or black **** in your cylinders CLEAN THEM OUT you are losing horse power and throttle response. If your spark plugs are melted or damaged you arent running on all of your cylinders which could also lead to engine sputtering and stalling. So that should be it. Now for your white smoke blown head gasket, engine overheating because you dont have coolent in your car, or water leaking on the headers are all things that ive seen. Gasoline smell should give the hint that you probably blew a piston through the bottom of your motor which means your ****ed and need a new motor. Or cracked head gasket means you mine well replace the motor because it will bring on more problems