General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Does Anyone Know How To Use Touch Up Paint ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topgeari4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Does Anyone Know How To Use Touch Up Paint ??

Hey, i know it sounds stupid but how do u use touch up paint.
I have a 02 civic lx coupe silver, i went to the dealer and bought the touch up paint

a few days ago at college some stupid idiot backed into my car and left 2 big scratches exposing the primer i think ? ( the rest of the car is silver but these 2 spots are black) there about 1/2 of a inch each right under the front left light
there are "swirl" marks on the front bottom left bumper ( these are silver and i think its just in the clear coat itself )

can someone guide me to how i can hide or even fix the scratchs ??
thanks
Old 09-24-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Does Anyone Know How To Use Touch Up Paint ??

you first wanna clean the area as well as possible...

then go to autozone or wtever and buy the duplicolor touchup paint/pen....then jsut apply in careful portions....thats it.
Old 09-24-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

eh, touchup paint is really only good for small rock chips. any bigger and youre not gonna be happy with the outcome. and silver is really hard to match even with the exact same color.
Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

EM2MAGMET914 can only hope to improve

oo im sorry to thread jack but i kinda have same kind of question except i was shaving my trunk n whoopie me i didnt research enough to get a good clean job done n i read somewhere to use a sponge on the green side with bug off n to take off the glue...and after i finished i realized i basically wetsanded the part tht the glue was on...soo haha to me i shaved my trunk n got razor burn..... sorry for tht but yea will touch up paint to any good or should i just get duplicolor can n respray the whole bumper? cuz i got scratches down to primer from someone backing into me parking on the bumper too so yeaa what would be better? again..sorry to threadjack
Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
eh, touchup paint is really only good for small rock chips. any bigger and youre not gonna be happy with the outcome. and silver is really hard to match even with the exact same color.

ok i just used my touch up paint
you can still tell where the idiot hit my car but at least its not black anymore
yea the touch up paint is a bit lighter and too hard to match

anyone else got any tips ? on like how to blend the touch up paint with the body paint ?
Old 09-24-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by EM2MAGMET914
oo im sorry to thread jack but i kinda have same kind of question except i was shaving my trunk n whoopie me i didnt research enough to get a good clean job done n i read somewhere to use a sponge on the green side with bug off n to take off the glue...and after i finished i realized i basically wetsanded the part tht the glue was on...soo haha to me i shaved my trunk n got razor burn..... sorry for tht but yea will touch up paint to any good or should i just get duplicolor can n respray the whole bumper? cuz i got scratches down to primer from someone backing into me parking on the bumper too so yeaa what would be better? again..sorry to threadjack
If you still see the color of your car you dont need to do anything but add some polish and buff- you wont notice- you basically just dulled the clear coat. Dont try spraying your car parts yourself with a rattle can- nothing as big as a bumper or a trunk will look good- small things like side mirrors or grills you can get away with, but not bigger things- they will look like crap.
Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

what car polish should i use, and how should i apply it ?
Old 09-24-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

meguiars scratch-x, or the turtle wax ice liquid clay bar also works very well. top it off with wax once you get it looking good. apply and take off with 100% cotton cloth.
Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

EM2MAGMET914 can only hope to improve

okk so um i have that meguiars scratch x n tht was my first idea exactly n i even have meguiars clear coat wax so i did the scratch x n thn the wax n idk how this is possible? but now it looks dull but shiny?....idk but ok..basically i sanded it down..i kno the look and thts wut it is even cuzzin n few friends told me..and laughed at me.. but yea i kno im dum shoulda heatgun or something but ugh was in a rush thts wut i get....idk maybe pix would help? but yea the polish didnt work... ALSO i looked around and none of the auto part stores in my area have MAGNESIUM METTALLIC paint the duplicolor exact match i gtg to a diff town to get it n i dont want to..im wondering...will GRAPHITE work?? cuz in the book they have in the store it didnt have mag met but listed it as graphite...is it same??
Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

DefiantOne is an unknown quantity at this point

for minor scuff/scratch of the clear coat use a heavy grit compound then use a polishing compound (you could also wetsand it, but i advise not to if you have not done it before), and gearbox is correct silver is hard because it will have a halo effect, nothin you can really do with that, unless you spend some more money and take it to a professional,