General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Timing Belt Replacement

Old 07-13-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold
Timing Belt Replacement

So I'm thinking about replacing my timing belt and water pump in the next few days... My main question is, can I handle it? My usual philosophy on learning how to do anything

Last edited by Unevolved; 07-14-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: Timing Belt Replacement

huh?
Old 07-13-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

You can han!
Old 07-13-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

han u can
Old 07-13-2008
Registered!!

reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all

lol. new forum motto "You can han!!"

Check the DIY link in my sig.
Old 07-13-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

haha messed up site ftl
Old 07-13-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
haha messed up site ftl
x2....wth is going on?
Old 07-14-2008
Registered!!

colourwolf will become famous soon enough

i cant post and pm yesterday, never get any email notice when i got a pm....WTF yo
Old 07-14-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

its one of those things you can definately do on your own, but it'll eat up a lot of time. If you can, i would rather pay to have someone do it for you at a reasonable price.
Old 07-14-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^and what would that price be? including parts or just labor?
Old 07-14-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
^and what would that price be? including parts or just labor?
$10 bucks and a beer yo.
Old 07-14-2008

Originally Posted by Tragedy
$10 bucks and a beer yo.
lol alright. so ill be driving down to texas from california...ill have the 10 bucks and ill bring a 30pack of ur choice...hahahah
Old 07-14-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

lolz. That's the way it should be though. If you are into tuning cars, by now you should know of a couple guys who could do it on a sat/sunday for some cash and good vibes.
Old 07-14-2008

Originally Posted by Tragedy
lolz. That's the way it should be though. If you are into tuning cars, by now you should know of a couple guys who could do it on a sat/sunday for some cash and good vibes.
serious man. but unfortunately, the world doesnt thrive off of "good vibes n some fellowship"......

but seriously anyone know a good/decent price?
Old 07-14-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldnt pay more than $400 labor for replacing timing belt and waterpump. thats the max not including parts ($20 belt, $80 pump from dealer). if you really have money to spend, replace the crank pulley too.
Old 07-14-2008
Registered!!

reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all

sl33py:

In SoCal you are looking at 450-500 ish from a reputable indie shop for a full service job. This should include:

Timing belt, alternator and AC and PS belts
Cam and Crank seals if needed, definitely new VC gasket and spark plug tube seals
Coolant flush
Timing Belt replacement
Waterpump Replacement
Timing belt Tensioner replacement

Without the Tensioner, you can do it for $400.

Damn you are close by me - I'm in north OC. I'm busy this month otherwise I WOULD help you do it for gas money and beer. PM or something if you need the crank pulley holder or tools.

I kid you not, if you attempt this yourself and get stuck, PM me and I'll safety net you - I don't know if I have time to spend a whole day out working though.
Old 07-14-2008

^dang bro. i much apreciate it. rite now im deciding if i wanna do this myself or have a shop do it...

ive pretty much dont EVERYTHING on my car myself so far, rotors, brakes, suspension, MTF/oil change... myself...but iono if im up to this yet...

if anythign i will let you know man. thx in adv
Old 07-14-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

****in cake wake......1 day at the most.........TDC,valve cover, side covers, unbolt & flip p/s pump up,loosen tensioner, bam......throw a water pump on. Get the honda instructions step by step & you can't go wrong
Old 07-14-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

its very easy. if you have the free 7thgen manual posted on this site you can do it. as long as you can follow directions well and have the right tools. the most key thing to working on cars is patience. if you get mad at your car dont work on it... your prone to break things when your frustrated.
Old 07-14-2008

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Sweet Jesus I can post again.

Damn, that was the most agitating issue ever.

And the damn thing still didn't work right. ****.

Anyways. I'm going to attempt the job tomorrow morning, update to follow.

Last edited by Unevolved; 07-14-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
i wouldnt pay more than $400 labor for replacing timing belt and waterpump. thats the max not including parts ($20 belt, $80 pump from dealer). if you really have money to spend, replace the crank pulley too.
Honda charges like 580 with new belts and pump. I did it myself for around 250, but that included tools I could keep like a 24 inch breaker bar.

Oh and don't change your TB before 115k. The 90k thing is bullshit.
Old 07-21-2008

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder

Oh and don't change your TB before 115k. The 90k thing is bullshit.
care explaining the "bull ****" for me? i am curious. if honda and like 99% of car manufactures say to change it 100k or before?

(no sarcasm intended, i am really curious to what ur explanation is)
Old 07-21-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
care explaining the "bull ****" for me? i am curious. if honda and like 99% of car manufactures say to change it 100k or before?

(no sarcasm intended, i am really curious to what ur explanation is)
Honda doesn't say to change it before. I've got a 6th gen and in both the shop manual AND printed car manual it say 115. Yet, in the hane's manual it says 90k without the mechanic justifying it in any way. We're talking 25k difference! I wonder how much he got payed to write that. Whatever the situation, Honda is benefiting from that discrepency.

Why should I have changed it at 90k when Honda says 115?
Old 07-21-2008
Registered!!

Sorry, it's 105k in both manuals. so 15k difference.
Old 07-22-2008

Why should I have changed it at 90k when Honda says 115?
well, i ask myself "risk going an extra 15kmiles with a belt that is at the ends of its life... or just change it at 90k (im actually at 101k rite now) and have a peace of mind..." plus, ur gonna change it sooner or later arnt you? so why risk ur engine for a mere 15k?
Old 07-22-2008

well, i guesss you do have a point...that is if you dont drive ur car much....

but i commute to college 5x a week...and put about 25k+ a year on my car... so i really wouldnt want to take that chance, especially getting stuck on the freeway; and after watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGh-3...eature=related

i dont wanna take that chance...but i guess thats me.
Old 07-22-2008
Registered!!

I watched your vid. Nothing like the daily dose of fear pumped out 24/7 by the media. I'm not saying the mechanic isn't right, but you gotta wonder if what he's saying is true. I mean if what this guys says is true --telling us to change it BEFORE the maintenance schedule-- then the implications are that Honda is having us replace the belt late so that we **** up our engines, which is pretty much consistant with the asses they are. I don't know what the truth is.

What I do know is that the video you posted has a sensational quality about it. It's like the mechanic was frothing at the mouth to get us to change belts. Maybe HE'S the one who's full of ****, since he wants people to change belts at a quicker interval. (more work for him) He didn't say anything about the conditions the vehicle which threw a belt was in. Extreme weather results in a different maintenance schedule.

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 07-22-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2008
Premium Member

ive seen cars with 150k+ miles on the original belts and they still looked like very good shape
Old 07-22-2008

I mean if what this guys says is true --telling us to change it BEFORE the maintenance schedule-- then the implications are that Honda is having us replace the belt late so that we **** up our engines, which is pretty much consistant with the asses they are. I don't know what the truth is.
It's called preventative maintenance. If you replace the timing belt and water pump, you're looking at about $50 of parts and three hours in the garage. If the timing belt snaps, you're looking at about $1200 of shop work to pull off the head and have a full set of valves seated, because odds are you bent every last one. That, and your car's out of action for the better part of a week. I mean, hell, it's your car. The fact of the matter is, the timing belt on a D-series motor is not readily visible, thus cannot be checked as standard maintenance. As such, it's better to err on the side of caution for reasons mentioned above.

Everyone drives differently, it all comes down to how much wear and tear your engine's gone through. If you go easy on your motor, you probably won't need to replace as soon. Simple logic.
Old 07-23-2008

telling us to change it BEFORE the maintenance schedule-- then the implications are that Honda is having us replace the belt late so that we **** up our engines, which is pretty much consistant with the asses they are. I don't know what the truth is
to my understanding, he is telling us to replace it, because after xxx,xxx miles, ur timing belt could go out at any chance...and IF IT DOES go out, then ur mech is gonna fu*k you up the ***...

...anywho, i got my timing belt, water pump, tensioner, power steering belt, alternator belt, crankshaft seals, and a few other seals replaced for 400$ today....

my wallet is feeling it...but the price wasnt too bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt Replacement