General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

60,000 mile Transmission fluid change

Old 07-05-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01civicexboy is an unknown quantity at this point
60,000 mile Transmission fluid change

I look in the DIY's and I didnt see how I can flush out my automatic transmission. Can someone refer me to a webpage or what not on how to do this. I dont feel like paying Honda to do the 60k mile maintenance and charging me an arm and a leg for it. Thanks guys, any help will be appreciated!
Old 07-05-2005
Registered!!

Bump
Old 07-05-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
its the exact same procedure as motor oil changing. there should be a drain plug that you can access if your not lowered or up on jacks to be easier. unbolt, drain the atf, tighten back in, refill.

gearbox has an auto ex and hes not dropped, he claims he changed his atf without raising the car. also check out the manual, im sure it tells you what fluid you need and a procedure hopefully
Old 07-05-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
yea if your not lowered, and you are thin and have a good reach. also if you know exaclty where the drain plug is. you could do it without jacking the car up.

You gotta be pretty strong too, becuase you kinda gotta knock it loose, just as if you would with the oil drain plug.
Old 07-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you can do it without jacking up the car, but jacking it up makes it alot easier.
Old 07-06-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
aren't you suppose to flush it at 60k rather then just drain it?
Old 07-06-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
aren't you suppose to flush it at 60k rather then just drain it?
You cant even flush a manual tranny they say??? Only the auto.

But basically jack the car up, look for the lower drain on the transmission (passenger side). Its the smaller plug that a socket wrench fits in. Open it up and drain it out. Than look for the drain thats on the same side of the tranny(passneger side) but a little higher up and more towards the firewall. Open that up. Hopefully you have a manual pump. The easiest way to get the fluid back in, is to get a manual pump. Plug the lower drain back up. Than set the new tranny fluid up near the battery, since it has to be higher than the place the fluid is going. Stick the smaller hose of the pump into the fluid. Cover the other end of the pump with your finger and pump a few times to get some pressure in the line. Fluid should start flowing. Now hurry and put the hose your covering in the top drain part thats still left open. try to make sure the hose is as low as you can get it in there (not too far in). Just so it stays still and doesnt leak fluid all over. Bolt it back up when it starts leaking out and is full.

You need about 1.6qts I think it is. 1.6 of the bottles is fine, so just buy 2.

This is for the manual tranny, but should be the same basic idea. The pump is only 5 or 6 bucks, and is a little rubber ball looking thing in the middle, with a hose on each end of it. you can get it at Ace Hardware. Use only Honda tranny fluid.

Costs about 18 bucks to do it yourself.
Old 07-06-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
on an auto tranny, when you take the bolt off there is a magnet on the end of it, clean the metal shavings off, thats honda tranny filter
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

Ok I finally had time to pick up the hose and the fluid from Honda. I am looking under my car now and I am amazed at how many bolts there are to the transmission. I am confused on which one to loosen to drain the fluid. Can anyone tell me what bolt needs to be taken out?
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
why did you buy a hose? Anyway, the bolt is closet to the passenger wheel. It is a 3/4 lookiong bolt. All you need is a wrench to loosen it, no sockets. Look for the bolt that has the deep square end in it. that is the bolt. Replace the washer after you do this to prevent leaks.
Old 07-08-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
wow i'm shocked you waited 60k miles on an auto. I did mine at 18k and it was filthy. Been doing it every 10k since then. Dealer does them now cause car is lowered and I can't fit under anymore.
Old 07-08-2005

AzNTiG3R is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
wow i'm shocked you waited 60k miles on an auto. I did mine at 18k and it was filthy. Been doing it every 10k since then. Dealer does them now cause car is lowered and I can't fit under anymore.
the manual says 60K miles/3 years for an auto and 120K for manual
Old 07-08-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
um no actually it says 30k for auto and even thats way too long.
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

Hey now lets all be nice lol I still havent found the bolt. If anyone has a picture of the exact location of the bolt to drain the tranny I would really appreciate it...
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
yeah i did mine at 30k and it was nasty. The fluid wasn't even red anymore, it was more of a orangish brown color. The drain bolt on a auto is on the right side near the subframe. My bolt was painted blue. It was the only bolt that had some blue paint on it if that helps at all.
Old 07-09-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for the input. All of the bolts are blue. The one that is most blue however is close to the strut arms supporting the wheel. Any pictures or anything?
Old 07-09-2005
Registered!!

just look for the bolt that has a washer on it. And the bolt is the one that a 3/4 ratchet will just fit into. Stick a ratchet up there and find the bolt that the ratchet will fit into. the bolt is closest to the passenger wheel.
Old 07-10-2005

AzNTiG3R is an unknown quantity at this point
um no actually it says 30k for auto and even thats way too long.
Page 200 under "Normal conditions" in the manual, "replace [tranny fluid] 120,000 miles then 90,000 miles after...." Page 202 under "severe conditions" in the manual, "replace [A/T] 60,000 miles, then 30,000 miles after." yeah we were both kinda wrong, but damn your just a str8 up jackass bout it.
you kno for a moderator, u don't seem to kno shiet. And after you read this, ur prolly gonna say some shiet like "wanna get banned?" Do you feel this immense power w/ ur empty threats of mere words? Yeah, ban me if it makes you feel good, but i'll always find my way back, after being banned like 5 times already. So gearbox, u can kiss my !

Last edited by AzNTiG3R; 07-10-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2005
Premium Member

Oh hey sorry wasn't trying to upset you, just posting what I know from a maintenance brochure that was published by honda specifically for the 01+ civic. You need to calm down with that name calling, kid.
Old 07-10-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
Oh hey sorry wasn't trying to upset you, just posting what I know from a maintenance brochure that was published by honda specifically for the 01+ civic. You need to calm down with that name calling, kid.
antiger has anger issues, and how do we know its under hard conditions. anyway, yes name calling is wrong. and we normal conditions are different intervals. just feel good that your not as ignorant as others.
Old 07-10-2005
Premium Member

Here you go guys. Straight from Honda. Everything should be done under severe conditions unless you live in a perfect atmosphere, which doesn't exist. Please don't insult my intelligence. I've been here a long time and know quite a bit about civics actually.

Old 07-11-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
not to question you but whats the point of normal service intervals if you say that it should always be under extreme conditions unless its a perfect environment. i don't get it.
Old 07-11-2005
Premium Member

Good question, and the answer is in the owners manual. You should follow severe maintenance if you drive under any of the following conditions:

1. driving less than 5 miles per trip, or less than 10 miles per trip in freezing temperatures.

2. Driving in extremely hot conditions 90F, 32C

3. Extensive idle or long periods of stop and go driving.

4. Driving with a roof rack, or through mountains.

5. Driving on muddy, dusty, or deiced roads.

I really don't think anyone can say they haven't done at least one of those.
Old 07-11-2005

i don't do any of those. i will be drivin in mountains in a couple of days though, but here in atlanta i don't do any of that crap. i stick with reg intervals. except i change my oil every 3k and i change my plugs every 60 k. ive only had the car 5 months and changed the plugs when i got it. i will be changing the timing belt soon though. not gonna wait till 90k. probably 80 or 85.
Old 07-11-2005
Premium Member

You don't have city traffic or drive in the winter? Must be nice. I always do 2, 3, and 5. If you get timing belt done, might as well get an oem pulley new and have them put that on along with waterpump. Since everything will be apart anyway...
Old 07-11-2005

no when i get that stuff changed i will be getting uderdrive pulleys and probably a lightweight flywheel, i will wait till 90k cause my warranty will almost be out anyway. what do you mean about the water pump?
Old 07-11-2005
Premium Member

ah okay. well usually they do the water pump with timing belt since everything needs to come out to change it. Better to do it with the timing belt than have it go out a year later and have to pay all that money again. When I get my cam gear in august, i'm getting timing belt, pulley, and water pump put on as well for the same $250 charge. If you don't already know, waterpump is part of the cooling system. It does just what it says...pumps coolant lol.
Old 07-11-2005

i just didn't know the pump needed to be changed also. but thanks for the heads up. when my ride hits 90 k im gonna have to order, the underdrive pulley, the cam gear and the flywheel to get my mechanic to do it all at once. new water pump price=?
Old 07-11-2005
Premium Member

I think I paid $80-100 for it. The belt is cheap at least
Old 07-06-2009
Registered!!

ProudMarineDad is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 60,000 mile Transmission fluid change

My 2001 Civic EX calls for a transmission fluid change at 120,000 and my Haynes repair book agrees.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 60,000 mile Transmission fluid change