General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

HELP! P0740 code problem

Old 02-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic707Style is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP! P0740 code problem

hey, I got a check engine light on in my car. Used an OBD-II to check it and came back with P0740 code indicating the TCC or problems with the automatic transmission. I don't feel much of a difference though however I've heard some scary **** about replacing the transmission. So what's going on, anyone else have this problem? Oh and I've got 42,850, and no warranty. How the hell do you fix this isht?????
Old 02-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
code P0740= Problem in Lock-Up Control system.

Basically it tells you to measure some line pressures, and if they are out of spec, to repair your hydraulic system. If they are in spec, to replace a solenoid, AT clutch pressure solenoid.

After replacing that, if when you clear the code, it comes back, then it says to replace torque converter and tranny.
Old 04-25-2008
Registered!!

hossafat is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HELP! P0740 code problem

Hello, I had the same thing happen, got the same code. Read some other forums and bought a case of Honda Transmission fluid. Did a drain and replace.. 2 and a half quarts, ran the car for a day, did it again the next day and again. I was told the first change replace 50%, second changes 30% to new fluid, so I bet I have replaced 70% to new fluid. Alot of people said not to do the power flush transmission change, just this drain and refill. Finally did a code scan and cleared the codes, it was gone, but that maint light kept staying on. By this time I was so upset about having to change a transmission with 60k miles, I thought i still had the problem even though the code wasn't showing up and I had no problems with shifting...Then I remembered that damn thing is the one that comes on in intervals until you clear it, i think it's hold down the odometer 20 sec, turn the key and start the engine, let go and it's gone until the next interval. I lost my mind with that P0740 code. I would try this before going to the dealer ONLY if your just getting the code and no real shifting trouble. Good Luck.

Last edited by hossafat; 07-25-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: see Update....
Old 07-25-2009
Registered!!

hossafat is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HELP! P0740 code problem

UPDATE: Well it worked for almost three months, then I got the light again, changed two qts of ATF, stayed on. I had get the tranny changed. I was told at the time the light had come on the Torque Converter was bad and eventually it would fail and nothing could save it. You could take off the the tranny coolant line servos and clean the screen and do a full re-flush and maybe the light wouldn't come on for a while.
I was able to look at the clutch plates and they were not worn that bad, but the shift point at full throttle went up to 6k rpm. After the rebuilt was in, I noticed a major difference that i couldn't before. Total cost 450.00 remove 795.00 for rebuilt. I also changed the battery and two door acuators went out; I have lost a lot of faith in Honda. The mechanic also installed a inline tranny filter on the return from the radiator and change it every 30k. The mechanic says it common on these and some Accura's.