General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Do our cars have a black box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mogwai will become famous soon enough
Do our cars have a black box?

You know... like airplanes do. Since this is becoming more common in the automotive industry, I was just wondering if our cars had one.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept, basically it records your rate of speed, braking, etc... So if you're ever get in a major accident which ends up in court, investigators can refer to your black box and see how fast you were going.

Just curious... Thanks.
Old 01-29-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
no we dont
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
thank god
Old 01-29-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
but some day who knows......
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I kind of figured we didn't since I haven't really seen anything out of the ordinary, but I just wanted to make sure.

I just got to thinking about it because I just found out my dad's '04 F150 has one.
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by hotrodcivic2004
but some day who knows......
Yeah, I think eventually all new cars will come equipped with one. That's gonna suck.
Old 01-29-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
how do you know for sure? is there something in the owners manual that says "this vehicle is equipped with a black box etc etc"?
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

^^^No I haven't seen anything in the manual about it. I doubt they would print it though.

As far as my dad's truck, according to this article all 2002+ Fords have them.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...10/-264474.htm
Old 01-29-2005
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
thought we did but that you could reset it by disconnecting the battery... i only remember this cuz someone on here a while ago blew their tranny and someone told them to disconnect their battery to reset it so that the garage couldnt check to see what happened... something about it recording in 15 second segments or something and if something goes wrong it saves it.... or something...

could be wrong.. but i could be right.. so might as well disconnect the batter for a few minutes just to reset the system.... better safe than sorry..
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

jturbolx is a jewel in the roughjturbolx is a jewel in the roughjturbolx is a jewel in the rough
even disconecting the battery for a few min will not dis charge the battery for the computer , so it will still store the codes if any
Old 01-29-2005
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by againifall
thought we did but that you could reset it by disconnecting the battery... i only remember this cuz someone on here a while ago blew their tranny and someone told them to disconnect their battery to reset it so that the garage couldnt check to see what happened... something about it recording in 15 second segments or something and if something goes wrong it saves it.... or something...

could be wrong.. but i could be right.. so might as well disconnect the batter for a few minutes just to reset the system.... better safe than sorry..
I remember that too. I think it will remember / record / motion, the last 10-15 second of the car.
Old 01-30-2005
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
The ECU stores data...well atleast it does in the K series motors. I know the RSX guys were blowing their motors by misshifting and getting denied warranty because the dealer can pull up the last recorded rpm/speed/etc...

And no... disconnecting the battery will not do crap. You have to flash the ecu.
Old 01-30-2005
Registered!!

silvermugen is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a ACURA EL 2000 (d16y8) and I'm sure mine got one the way they work is from what I know (for accident) only they record 15 sec before and 15 sec after the airbags deploy. ( explod ). when in a an accident it check vehicle speed throttle position or if the ABS system was running before the initional impact.

but like I said it's for accident's in my car not for abuse. but I could be wrong they are located under the driver seat cause it the most likelly place to servive an accident with you in the seat.

and that's write it also checks if you had your seat belt on and more it would be easy to check if you light's where on or other **** I say at least 10 wires going to mine and that could be all safety related devices.

my 2 cent's
but again this is an ACURA.