General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

paint remover on ABS plastic help omg

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mischieflts is an unknown quantity at this point
paint remover on ABS plastic help omg

lol well i need to remove a bunch of paint on some trim pieces that are made of ABS. there are so many layers, i almost don't want to bother with sanding. what is a good solution to soak ABS in that removes paint, but not corrodes the surface of the plastic. tried to use JASCO paint/epoxy remover, but it started leaving weird halfway holes in it, i got really pissed and discontinued use..
Old 01-17-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
just try paint thinner and a small rubber spatchula(sp?) so u can kind of shave it all off.
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

anyone else?
Old 01-18-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Sandpaper
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

Alphax is an unknown quantity at this point
Acrisol... they use it at body shops.
Old 01-18-2005
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
i used stripper on my kit..
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
EZ-Oven Off in the yellow can. Best to spot test it first...
Old 01-18-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
isopropyl alcohol, but you'll need to scrub alot. Don't use acetone!!
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

rofl sandpaper, i like to see when morons read my post. thanks for all the useful help guys. this acrisol stuff, they use it for removal on poly urethane right. but it works ok with ABS? im not a chemical whiz or anything so i dont know the diff.
Old 01-18-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mischieflts
rofl sandpaper, i like to see when morons read my post. thanks for all the useful help guys. this acrisol stuff, they use it for removal on poly urethane right. but it works ok with ABS? im not a chemical whiz or anything so i dont know the diff.
Yeah, all of us morons reading the post. Does it or does it not take paint off of plastic. YES IT DOES. Does it **** it up? Provided you're smart enough to use fine stuff, no it doesn't.
Given the fact that you're supposed to sand plastic before you paint it anyways, it works dual purpose.
Think about it next time smart ***
Old 01-18-2005
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
try using brake fluid. that takes the paint off the body of the car.......i found that out the hard way. Not sure if it will work on plastic, but it's worth a shot. Plus, it's really cheap.
Old 01-18-2005
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
The guy offers a legit solution and you call him a moron?

Classy, real classy.

Who's the one that used a tulene solvent on plastic?
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

wow, i just said i dont wana waste time sanding it and then you write use sandpaper? what do you expect, thanks for the smartass reply.

do you have any idea how long it takes to sand something down with 6-7 layers of paint, and 2-3 layers of clear coat. as opposed to first thinning then sanding. yea good idea, use 'the fine stuff' like what, 600+ grit? yes, then i would be there for 5-6 hours just removing the paint on one piece. smart one, think about THAT one

maybe it hasn't occurred to you yet, but maybe you should figure out i've already tried sandpaper and it takes way too long. otherwise why would i be here. thanks for all the informative replies, points to smart ones. shouldnt have used jasco that **** is the devil, lessons learned :P

Last edited by Mischieflts; 01-18-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

Alphax is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Mischieflts
No it wont hurt the plastic... just dont leave it sitting on it in the sun.

Test it on the back or something first if you want to be sure.

You'll be fine sandpaper is a huge NoNo.