General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Engine cuts out between 3900 & 4000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phantom_Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine cuts out between 3900 & 4000 RPM

My car is an 03 EX with an Injen CAI, DC Header, and Greddy EVO catback. A couple of months ago while driving my check engine light came on and the car would not rev above 4000 rpm. Thinking it might have been because the gas cap wasnt tightend its 3 clicks, so I took it off and made sure it was tight and this seemed to take care of the problem. Between then and now it has been doing the same thing but nowtightening the gas cap has no effect and now my check engine light is on constantly. After starting the car it will go above 4000 rpm but only once after that it will start to cut out again.
I have a VTEC indicator light and it will come on the first time I pass the 3900-4000 rpm range but usally a little before but when it starts cutting out the light does not come on. This seems to have been a progressive problem which leads me to believe its probably not electrical, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any ideas.
Old 06-02-2004
Registered!!

Going to try to reset the ECU to see if that helps, if not going to take it to Autozone to find out the computer error code.
Old 06-02-2004
SMX
Registered!!

SMX is on a distinguished road
Sound either electrical or fuel. If your not flowing enough fuel, you'll be rev limited. The fact that the cap affected what it did suggests something in the fuel system. I don't know where the fuel filter is on our cars, but I'd check it.

If that ain't it, I'd suspect the electrical system.
Old 06-02-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Something might be wrong with the air/fuel mixture. Either that or your ecu has a problem.
Old 06-02-2004
Registered!!

I reset the ECU. Seems to be working for now.
Old 06-02-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It will come back again if there really is a problem. Try some greased lightning fuel system cleaner. It worked well with my car so far.
Old 06-02-2004
Banned

irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
if something is wrong, some cars, don't know about civics go into a valet mode, my fiero did it and could only go so fast. maby you can run a code check, again on a fiero i can do it but a vic not sure just an idea,,,,,,,,,,maby O2 sensor ,TPS AIC, valve?????
Old 06-02-2004
Registered!!

zupfox is an unknown quantity at this point
That happened to me with my dad's S2k, it is the vtec kicking in. You probably need to add more oil. Just try it. It worked for the s2k.