General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Reset the ecu, check engine light still comes on.

Old 08-15-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jsbush is an unknown quantity at this point
Reset the ecu, check engine light still comes on.

Hey,

I disconnected the negative on the battery to reset the ecu because my check engine light was on and I know that its a bad o2 sensor thats why it comes on, but I don't have the cash to fix it right now. So after disconnecting the batt and I turned my car back on the light was off, but it came back on about 5-10seconds later.

Is there a way to reset the ecu so that the light doesn't come back on for this problem?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2003

GreenNVicious can only hope to improve
nope, just keep resetting the CELight if you want. Look under the DIY section to do it. To reset the ECU, just pull out the ECU fuse in yoru fuse box.
Old 08-15-2003
Registered!!

jsbush is an unknown quantity at this point
If I go to the garage and get them to hook it up to there comp, the check engine light won't come on for a while (3-4months), is there a way I can do that without having to pay the $30 to get it hooked up to the comp?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2003
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I had a problem like that and it was my 02 sensors, just order them online from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com they are like 37 bucks each, my car run much better and got better gas mileage once I replaced them, I heard you should replace them about every 50,000 miles.
Old 08-15-2003
Registered!!

AllMotorSi is an unknown quantity at this point
check to see if your gas cap is turned at least 3 clicks. Also check to see if your engine oil is low, I had that problem and was short about .7litres of oil and had to pay an hours labour for them to find the problem. Try to fix it yourself first and if all else fails, go to honda.
Old 08-15-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
so whats the matter, you don't like to look at the light telling you somethings is wrong?

Having the light off does not fix the problem or help it in any way. I would say either fix it and not have to worry about it at all, or just let the light do its job and remind you to fix you car.
Old 08-16-2003
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point
you know that you have a bad o2 sensor...problem is right there...... you have a bad o2 sensor...so the car is telling to get it fixed!!

you are supposed to reset the ecu after you do some addon or mod... reseting ecu means what it is..allowing the ecu to restart to check to se if everything is ruuning right, it's comming on because something is not right

Last edited by Macko; 08-16-2003 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-16-2003
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
The light is coming on to tell you that you have a problem. The problem would be considered an ACTIVE code. It will not go inactive until you fix the problem.

This is pretty illogical. The light is doing what it is supposed to do. The car is doing what it is supposed to do. Fix the problem, reset the ECU, then it will be all right.