General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Can i change oil filter without changing oil

Old 08-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manu is an unknown quantity at this point
Can i change oil filter without changing oil

Hey whats up guys . Alright last night i changed my oil but i had the wrong filter so i had to leave the filter i had on . Now that i have the right filter , can i change the filter without changing the oil ? Cause i dont know that if i take the filter out with the oil still inside the engine , if the oil is just gonna come out the oil filter hole or not . thanks for all the help.

Last edited by manu; 08-11-2003 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2003
Samoan<^>(-_-)<^>Power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
krayziebonet4l is an unknown quantity at this point
you can, some oil WILL come out. the filter is positioned on the block and not the oil pan, so all of the oil is below the filter
Old 08-11-2003
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
yeah .. it'll be okee .. just make sure to check your oil afterwards though . You might loose some. . Not too much though. .
Old 08-11-2003
Registered!!

Unleaded is an unknown quantity at this point
if it were me, i'd change the oil again even if it was 1 day old. new oil + dirty filter = dirty oil.
Old 08-11-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
i agree
Old 08-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
When you left the old filter in there, it had maybe half a quart in it of dirty oil. As soon as you cranked the car, it circulated that dirty oil with the new oil. But there's not that much oil in the filter. They're really small.

Check the oil with the dipstick before swapping the filter and changing it all over again. If you think it's really dirty, change it and the filter. I doubt the little bit in the filter would justify changing 4 quarts again.

Regardless, if you put a new filter on there, you'll need to add some oil to replace what was in the old filter.
Old 08-11-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ Yes, what he said. Im more leaning on just changing everything.
Old 08-11-2003
Cracka

xtiszx is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Unleaded
if it were me, i'd change the oil again even if it was 1 day old. new oil + dirty filter = dirty oil.

same here, look at the color of your oil after a day, or a few hr's of drivin, i bet its dirty looking still

id change it all again
Old 08-11-2003
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
change the oil and the filter again. There was some old oil in the filter and it mixed with the fresh one, so... yeah, change the whole thing.
Old 08-11-2003
Registered!!

manu is an unknown quantity at this point
cool

allright guys thanks for all the replys
Old 08-11-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Man Honda made those filters a PITA to get off! I remember the first time I changed mine I had to puncture it with a screwdriver just to get leverage - the chain wrench I had kept slipping off......bastards!
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

Woodster is an unknown quantity at this point
haha, PITA, took me awhile to figure that one out. I would change both the oil and the filter, no point in having a new filter and dirty oil is there?
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
Am i the only one who thinks this is kinda pointless? If you put in a new filter, it will FILTER out the dirt and contaminants in the oil. The reason why you change the oil, is to put fresh oil in with all of the addatives that come with it. You can just chage your oil filter, without chaging the oil, the filter will get all that crap out of there. Plus, it wasn't very much oil to begin with. Modern Oils are much better then the oils of old... The 3k change limit and such aren't really necessary, if you look in the civic manual is says to change every 10K miles, BUT this is only if your car burns a quart every 3000 miles. (so basicaly you're replaceing your oil at least once before you change it)

I would just like to say once again, it's addatives, that are so important. If the addatives didn't burn off, then you'd basically never have to change your oil.

-Mark
Old 08-12-2003
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
I paid too much money for my civ to not take care of it, some of u may flame me for this, but i change my oil every 2,000 miles. Yes, it may be pointless, but for as cheap as an oil change is, i will continue to change it every 2K. As for taking off the filter, yes, it is a PITA. I used a big pair of channelocks to get it off and tightened it by hand when i put it back on. Gotta love engerneering !!!
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
I man-handled my filter off. Fear the bellz death grip!!

Anyway, the fram that I got to replace it with has a non slip edge to it that makes it easier to tighten and easier to break loose. It's #PH7317 if anyone wants to try it.

Last edited by Bellz; 08-12-2003 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

AudioQuest is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the factory torques the filters on and because of the extended drain intervals now, the gasket really sticks to the block. I sprayed some WD-40 around the gasket, let it sit for 10 minutes and then the factory filter finally came off.
Old 08-14-2003
Registered!!

old beater is an unknown quantity at this point
you guys know your supposed to put new oil on the rubber seat part of the filter, right. when i change my oil, about every 2500k i pour one quart through the engine to "Wash" out and metal shavings or dirt. i can always get the filter off with my bare hands, i think you guys are doing something wrong if its that hard to get off.
Old 08-14-2003
Premium Member

Yeah, i always take my finger and rub new oil around the seal to lubricate it. I never did try "flushing" it with new oil though. I don't know if that would do anything or not, maybe it is just personal comfort knowing that u did that.
Old 08-15-2003
Registered!!

old beater is an unknown quantity at this point
well, me and my older brother have the same car (01 ex manual) his is red mine is black. my dad buys oil by the case and we always have one left over so i just got in the habit of doing it. but usually you can see it start out dark and get lighter as you pour it through. so it might do something. you just never know.