Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

loud grinding when i make slow sharp turns. what could it be?

Old 02-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anticrime is an unknown quantity at this point
loud grinding when i make slow sharp turns. what could it be?

I've noticed recently that when i make sharp turns i hear a very loud and upsetting grinding sound, i know its coming from the front of the car but i cant tell exactly where, any advice? thanks
Old 02-21-2010
Registered!!

210italian is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: loud grinding when i make slow sharp turns. what could it be?

Is your abs light on at all?
It could possibly be your cv joints, if you have a torn boot youre gonna get all this dirt and crap all in your cv joints and that can make that sound especially when you turn, so get underneath your car and take a look at your boots, if they are torn youre going to be better off just replacing the whoolllle thing dont even mess with replacing the boot, spending a few extra bucks its definately worth saving the time.
Old 02-21-2010
Registered!!

nope no abs light,
it's gotten worse, now it's a loud metallic squeal and squeak even when im going straight, the tone is intermittent, when it gets really loud i can feel it in the steering wheel. i'm gonna take it to a shop before i take it anywhere else, i'm sure things can get really nasty if i procrastinate....
Old 02-22-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe your brake pads are just used up?
Old 02-22-2010
Registered!!

no my brakes ar still fairly new, i took it this morning to a shop, and it turns out to be the front right ball bearing, part is 120$ plus 2 hours of labor and an alignment, i think thats a fair price. im also gonna get the transmission fluid changed, adjust my headlights, and do an overall suspension check.
thanks guys
Old 02-22-2010
Registered!!

Glad to hear its getting fixed!
Old 02-22-2010
Registered!!

ya me too lol,
When i took the car to the shop i had specifically asked that they inspect the suspension before they proceed with any work, just in case i need to fix or change anything else, so i can group things together and save on labor. Turns out they found out after all the work had been done that i needed a new axle on the same side that all the work was done, lol they were quick to offer the part installed no labor charged sometime this week.
Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

ahahah well thats pretty cool of them, did you get the work done at the stealership or a 3rd party shop? man i had a feeling there was something up with the axel....
Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

3rd party shop.
i've gone through a half dozen of them. 90% of the time, their work was sketch or ****. I've finally found one where i can sincerely say i trust them, i've been with them for about 1.5 years and each time i got more than expected, which is hard to come by from mechanics (imo).
i once had a mechanic who let his son take my previous car (98 jetta) out for a joyride without my permission.... he ended up putting a huge dent and scratch along the driver side doors, the shop then claimed i brought it to them like that.... how did i find out it was his son? he went to school with me at the time and bragged about it.... word got around... so did a black eye... the mechanic offered to fix everything, but i demanded for the cash value 1000$.

On that same jetta i needed to replace the rad, it got replaced but half the screws for the grill and headlights weren't put back. i found that out when i was driving and could see the beam of my headlights on the road shaking. how much time are they saving or stealing money by skipping screws? lol

i've learned to question and double check everything when comes to someone handling your car.

btw sorry for the bad grammer I R tired..
Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

Damn man i would have whooped the **** out of that kid and the owner too!
Yeah im so damn tired of all the bs that goes on when you take it to a third party, i recently just had a put cat on my car and the bastards at midas sliced my cv boots open, they told me the boots were torn when i brought the car into them...i took a look myself.....it wasnt torn they sliced it wide the eff open.

Thats why i work on my car myself that way if i jack something up i dont go apeshit because somebody tried to screw me over.