Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

ignition coil

Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rdedilectis is an unknown quantity at this point
ignition coil

can anyone tell me what it entails too change the ignition coil, i have a little knowledge too do this myself, or what the cost should be too have either Honda do it or a mechanic do it, thanks
Old 05-19-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: ignition coil

Just get the replacement coil- its easy as hell. There is on nut to take off, and then you disconnect the wire, and pull the coil out.

Should take you two minutes

its a 36 dollar part on Majestic's website.
Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

this is for a 99 civic
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

TRIZ/ ignition coil

Thank for your feedback on changing the ignition coil, i did not mention that the car is a 99 Civic does your suggestion also hold true for that year model.
Old 05-20-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Re: TRIZ/ ignition coil

you can PM Triz if you want to talk to him directly, but 99 civic's do not have ignition coils

i assume your talking about this thread
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...tion-coil.html
Old 05-20-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I moved the previous 2 posts into this thread... lol.

No problem dude. 99 vic just has spark plug wires that come off the distributor- no coilpacks.

heres the diagram for your car:

Upgrading your sparkplug wires to aftermarket wires (as opposed to the stock Honda ones) will help your performance and free up a few HP.

The parts your looking for are 1-4- they come as the wire and the "coil" together- you change the wire with the rest of it. Below are the itemized list from majestic honda- normally 20.57 at honda, they have for 14.40

20245 001 1 WIRE, RESISTANCE (NO.1) No Color 20.57 14.40 Qty:
20251 002 1 WIRE, RESISTANCE (NO.2) No Color 20.57 14.40 Qty:
20257 003 1 WIRE, RESISTANCE (NO.3) No Color 20.57 14.40 Qty:
20263 004 1 WIRE, RESISTANCE (NO.4) No Color 20.57 14.40 Qty:

They all have different part numbers because they are different lengths of distance from the distributor- so therefore the wires are different lengths. The part number on the left is a majestic part number only- honda part numbers are crazy long and have numbers and letters in them.

You can also buy them all at one- pictured as number 5 in the above image,
20271 005 1 WIRE, IGNITION (PRESTOLITE WIRE) No Color 75.70 52.99

These part numbers are for a 1999 Honda Civic 2 door EX, MT... Make sure when you look up your parts you get the exact car.
Heres a link to get you started: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...catdisplay.jsp

I found these under the "high tention cord- spark plug" category.

Oh... and if you dont know it.. you can post more than once in threads. So to reply just reply back in this thread. There are buttons on each thread that say "post reply" at the top and bottom of the posts on each page, or you can scroll to the bottom and start typing in the text box and hit submit. Oh.. and if someone helps you out or is a good guy, rep them- look at the bottom left hand corner of their reply post and click on the scale and type a little message when the box pops up.

Last edited by TRIZ; 05-20-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

There is fuse underneath dash labeled ignition coil that's why i am a little confused, so you are saying that the spark plug wires have a coil in them. So Just replace the spark plug wires
Old 05-20-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rdedilectis
so you are saying that the spark plug wires have a coil in them. So Just replace the spark plug wires
correct
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

Thanks guys this forum is a great help, i'll be back
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

twiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nice

TRIZ question for ya. would there be any benifit in goning to a MSD, and can it be done with the top mounted coils we have. Like taking them out and putting 4 individual blaster coils? Wireing them?
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

camron is an unknown quantity at this point

OK so 99 civics have the coil in the distributor. All you need to replace the coil is a phillips screwdriver. Remove the cap it's three phillips screws or an 8mm socket. Remove the rotor the screw can only be taken out in one position simply bump the starter until the head of the screw is visible from above and remove it with a phillips screw driver. Theres a small plastic cover that has to be removed to get access to the coil. two phillips screws to remove the coil and thats it.

Simple.

Please don't pass on false information and if you disagree with me i'm a honda certified mechanic at a dealer.

the accel part number for the high output coil for his application is acc11076

number 10 is the coil for your application

Last edited by camron; 05-20-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by twiztedD17A1
TRIZ question for ya. would there be any benifit in goning to a MSD, and can it be done with the top mounted coils we have. Like taking them out and putting 4 individual blaster coils? Wireing them?

you must be high.

You can't do anything like that but you CAN just buy stickers for $12.95 and get the same results as you would if you could find aftermarket coilpacks http://www.speedecor.com/spcopaemkit4.html
Old 05-21-2008
Premium Member

^ yeah I dunno about that.

See if gearbox knows. lol
Old 05-21-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

our coil packs are already the upgrade from wires. there is nothing better than coil on plug ignition.
Old 08-07-2009
Registered!!

redcarwire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Just get the replacement coil- its easy as hell. There is on nut to take off, and then you disconnect the wire, and pull the coil out.

Moreover, defective ignition coils are notoriously sensitive to extreme changes in ambient temperature and humidity. So that may be a sign if you want to do an ignition coil replacement.

Last edited by redcarwire; 08-07-2009 at 02:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-10-2009
Registered!!

1995355 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by camron
OK so 99 civics have the coil in the distributor. All you need to replace the coil is a phillips screwdriver. Remove the cap it's three phillips screws or an 8mm socket. Remove the rotor the screw can only be taken out in one position simply bump the starter until the head of the screw is visible from above and remove it with a phillips screw driver. Theres a small plastic cover that has to be removed to get access to the coil. two phillips screws to remove the coil and thats it.

Simple.

Please don't pass on false information and if you disagree with me i'm a honda certified mechanic at a dealer.

the accel part number for the high output coil for his application is acc11076

number 10 is the coil for your application

Quick question, when trying to get to the screw on the rotor if I just put the key in and crank the engine a tad bit with the cap already off so I can view the rotor, will that hurt anything?

BTW sorry for bumping an old post
Old 10-05-2009
Registered!!

02Hondadx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRIZ

its a 36 dollar part on Majestic's website.
So there is no ignition wires "spark plug wires" then. Just replace the coil and the spark plug itself....Do they make "Performance Coils"?
Old 10-05-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there are no wires. coils are a lifetime part unless they break and you are getting misfires. one company makes aftermarket modified coils but they are expensive and break every few months. and hardly give any gains. oem is already very good.
Old 10-06-2009
Registered!!

Ok thanks for advice. My car has been running rough lately. When I shift into 2nd and 3rd i get a "back fire" or "mis-fire". Thats why im wanting to change the spark plugs and coils, unless you have a better idea?
Old 10-06-2009
Premium Member

just change the plugs, coils are prolly fine.
Old 10-08-2009
Registered!!

Ok thanks.
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

CRAZYITALIAN71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 97 honda Civic LX i just purchased a MSD cap and rotor to also put a MSD blaster coil on there are they difficult to install. I am use to American Muscle but my buddy bought the parts and asked if I could install them.
Old 01-25-2010
Registered!!

sao33 is an unknown quantity at this point

quick question and just throwing it out there,
does the ignition coil in the 05 civic go in an speicific number or pattern ?
looking to replace mine soon when i do a tune up
Old 01-25-2010
Premium Member

they are all the same, but unless you have a misfire problem, they never need to be changed. its not like older plug wires that age over time. the coils either work or they dont.
Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

serry is an unknown quantity at this point

What ohm readings should I get for the distributor Ignition coil Primary and secondary windings , on a 1999 civic 4 cylinder.?

Last edited by serry; 04-06-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2010
Premium Member

im not really sure on the older civics, but you should be able to take ohm readings for all 4 wires and then compare to each other. if they are all close to the same value, they are fine. if one is way off, its bad.
Old 06-09-2010
Registered!!

joenow is an unknown quantity at this point

had a similar ohm reading problem with my 97 civic. but just check the wires one by one. i was able to do with minor tools available with me.
Old 06-13-2010
Registered!!

alinafair is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually they go bad all at once but it is not common. what kind of car do you have and whats it doing?