Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

120,000 Miles

Old 09-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trxrider is an unknown quantity at this point
120,000 Miles

I just turned over 120,000 miles. I just got my timing belt, water pump, and battery changed out. Besides that nothing but oil change every 3-5k. What else am I needing to change or fluids that need flushed. BTW my blinkers stopped working after I hit a pole with my left front headlight and the turning signal is now busted. Now none of my turning signals work. Would it have something to do with the hit or is it something else?

Thanks in advance,
Moore
Old 09-23-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 120,000 Miles

prolly shorted out the turn signal in the front and blew a fuse. also you should be at least changing the other fluids that are all way overdue. brake fluid every 3 yrs (does not depend on mileage), PS fluid every 50k, trans fluid every 10k-30k, coolant every 50k, etc.
Old 09-24-2010
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

How does one go about flushing power steering fluid?
Old 09-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MoreRicePlease
How does one go about flushing power steering fluid?
1. Raise the reservoir, disconnect the return line to drain the reservoir, then run that line into a suitable container.

2. Start the car and let it idle. Turn the wheel lock to lock until the system is empty.

3. Reinstall the hose and fill the reservoir to the upper level line.

4. Start the car and run it at fast idle, then turn the wheel lock to lock several times to bleed air from the system.

5.Recheck fluid level and add more if necessary, Do not fill above upper level line.

6. Repeat until fluid isn't contaminated, dark, or discolored.

*NOTE: Clean any spilled fluid immediately.

*System capacity: 1.06 qts Reservoir capacity:0.42 qts

Last edited by lazlong; 09-25-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah. I need to get on that PS flush myself. That's like the only fluid in my car that hasn't been changed yet in the year I've had it.
Old 09-25-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

since 50% of the fluid is in the reservoir, its much easier to just pull one hose and pour the reservoir fluid into a cup. then fill up with new honda fluid. go for a drive until car warms up and make several full turns in each direction to bleed the air out, then leave the car overnight. in the morning, check the fluid level and most likely it will be at min. just fill to max and youre done. a week later you can do it a second time to replace more fluid. alot of guys also just use a turkey baster to suck the old fluid out instead of disconnecting the hose.
Old 09-25-2010
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

Good to know, guys. I'm glad it's so simple.