Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Check engine light on, Autozone says Crank Position Sensor

Old 03-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBrooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Check engine light on, Autozone says Crank Position Sensor

Alright so it's been a month and some change since my automatic transmission was replaced on my 01 honda civic ex (see Check engine light on, Autozone says transmission..)

And now my check engine light came back on while going 30mph and feeling a sudden jerk.. after only being able to go about 10mph I pulled in to autozone. They checked the codes and told me to start the car and it finally started after the 5-6th try.......

The engine rattles unless the gas is pressed and they all told me without hesitation that it's the Crank Position Sensor.

Would you agree? lol..

Another weird thing is that after I let the car sit for about 4 hours I went outside and it started up and drove fine... I hate this car
Old 03-22-2010
wut y0u kn0w ab0ut them teXas b0ys...

MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Check engine light on, Autozone says Crank Position Sensor

sounds like the TDC sensor, i remember when i had to replace mine i was having the same jerky feeling. Whats the code they pulled?
Old 03-22-2010
Registered!!

805er is an unknown quantity at this point

Its your tdc/cps. Sensor but u also have to find out what caused them to go bad like a voltage spike or maybe a loose connection
Old 03-22-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

this should be useful...

Old 03-23-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the responses guys.

I took it to a mechanic earlier today and he said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. The error it was giving was the camshaft position sensor. He reset the ecu(?) and the check engine light is gone again.

I plan on replacing the TDC sensor and the crank position sensor anyways because I know the problem will rise again.
Old 03-23-2010
Registered!!

I went to the Honda dealership next to my work, purchased the Top Dead Center sensor for $60 and the Crank Position Sensor was $89 from autozone..

The honda dealership wants to charge me $220 for labor, how bad am I getting ripped? Appointment is Thursday at 9:00am.
Old 03-23-2010
Registered!!

RaceNLive is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CBrooks
I went to the Honda dealership next to my work, purchased the Top Dead Center sensor for $60 and the Crank Position Sensor was $89 from autozone..

The honda dealership wants to charge me $220 for labor, how bad am I getting ripped? Appointment is Thursday at 9:00am.
Bad. all you have to do is swap sensors. If you know enough about cars and feel comfortable do it yourself. I downloaded a service manual for my 2000 civic ex and it goes into detail for anything and everything. Go to vuze.com download vuze kinda like limewire but better. In the search bar look up "01 civic ex service manual" and multiple things should pull up. downdload one of them. Vuze is like limewire but better
Old 03-24-2010
Registered!!

Oh boy I hope i'm replacing the right parts.. Seems like a damn heat issue to me.........

I just got back from work and I drove it about the same amount of miles(35) as I did on monday when it crapped the bed. I need to go to autozone to pick up a part but now the car is having a hard time starting.. imagine that.
Old 03-25-2010
Registered!!

gotduhka is an unknown quantity at this point

You can do this yourselft pretty easily. I can't remember but you will probably have to pull your valve cover to get the top of the timing belt cover off. It might even help to remove that side engine mount to get to some of the hardware you will have to remove. You will also have to remove the crankshaft pulley to get the lower cover off, BOTH covers have to be removed to replace both of those sensors if I am not mistaken. Its a PIA to get to them but with the right tools you can do it.... go buy a haynes manual.
Old 03-25-2010
Registered!!

Parts are replaced. I'll be driving it home shortly to see if the problem remains.

Another question.. Should the fans connected to the radiator be spinning while the car is idle or do those flip on at a certain temp?
Old 03-25-2010
Registered!!

gotduhka is an unknown quantity at this point

they are fine. It is normal for them to cut on and off even at idle you can reach a temp they will need to cut on at.