Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Fuel Injectors (When And How to clean them)

Old 08-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel Injectors (When And How to clean them)

Hi all! I have a question, I want to know how often should I clean my fuel injectors, and if any fluid should be bought (maybe at the dealer?) in order to do so. I also want to ask if dirty fuel injectors can take a lot of power off my car or cause wrong shiftings (late shifts) in auto civics. Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fuel Injectors (When And How to clean them)

usually they should not need cleaning if car is well maintained. i only recommend lubecontrol.com FP-plus additive for gas to keep the fuel system clean. clogged injectors can cause major problems if the fuel is not being misted properly including power loss, hesitation, and misfire. if they are too dirty, your only option is to take them off and send in to a company to have them cleaned and blueprinted.
Old 08-30-2009
Registered!!

slapoutz is an unknown quantity at this point

i highly doubt that dirty fuel injectors would cause late shifts but hey you never know, try gumout fuel injector cleaner its only like 3 bucks i used it and think it made a slight difference
Old 08-31-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah it prolly could, auto trans depends on alot of sensors to do its job. when my tps went out of adjustment, my car almost didnt make it home. it got stuck in gears and felt like it was about to blow up.
Old 08-31-2009
Premium Member

yeah it prolly could, auto trans depends on alot of sensors to do its job. when my tps went out of adjustment, my car almost didnt make it home. it got stuck in gears and felt like it was about to blow up.
Old 08-31-2009
Registered!!

JLcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys! next time I change coolant and break fluid ill take the car to my mechanic to see if he knows how to clean the injectors and if he thinks they should be cleaned (its a 8 year car!) so probably yes... damn its getting old but keeping its form!! I must admit im very proud of Honda, even with all the little problems with our gen., specially 01-03 models our vics are great cars, as all other vics. Ill keep this vic alive and in best shape possible until I can afford a second hand 06-XX model vic
Old 09-01-2009
Registered!!

cloud2987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Fuel Injectors (When And How to clean them)

I had the same question, and bought some techron.. another reason I bought it was it was on sale for two for one at O' Reilly's autoparts.. I just put it in two days ago, and i kinda feel a difference, but not sure because I also installed a new AEM dryflow filter too.. wondering if the difference I feel is from the new filter or the techron.. lol but it feels better either way.
Old 08-17-2010
Registered!!

tunedx is an unknown quantity at this point

My 03 Civic has @ 150,000km and I always add a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank every oil change. Is it necessary to have the dealer clean the injectors and fuel system with there machine and solution? Any benefit from this or is it a waste of money?
Old 08-17-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I've used Techron and Gumout Regane for my Civic. I haven't really noticed a boost in performance as the car wasn't really what I would call neglected. I put a bottle of either products after every oil change when my gas gets low. My Corolla would hesitate on acceleration and I put Techron in it, and it runs like a top since I do the same thing(after every oil change). GB, that Lube Control stuff is only available online? I'd like to give it a shot. How is it?
Crap. Didn't realize how old this thread was. Necrothread post fail.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

If you have dirty injectors, your car will typically idle rough and hesitate when revving from idle and will get worse gas mileage. This usually happens gradually. Injector cleaner fuel additive can fix this problem usually. You can get your injectors cleaned also if Injector cleaner does not work. It can be cheaper sometimes to buy new ones depending on your car. I don't see how it would cause bad shifting in any transmission. The only code/signal an injector throws is if it is not working properly. You can check for this with a multi meter. Or you can put your ear up to the handle of a long screwdriver and the tip up against the injector and hear whether or not it is clicking like it is supposed to.

Chevron makes a good injector cleaner.

You might want to change your fuel filter also, if you have not already done so. It is a often neglected tune up task.

Last edited by Mad Dog Tannen; 08-18-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

gangulyarchan is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest using a Chevron with Techron fuel system cleaner followed by a bottle of Chevron fuel injector cleaner.

Both are really cheap and available at Autozone.

I followed the above regime and I am getting higher mileage and prompt acceleration (without hesitation) since then.