Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Does unused coolant go bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Does unused coolant go bad

Just curious, I have a gallon of unopened honda type 2 coolant that has been sitting in my garage for the past year. I plan on doing my timing belt tomorrow along with a new water pump and was thinking of using it, but just wondering if I should go to honda and buy a new gallon of coolant or is that coolant still like brand new?
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
no it should be ok as long as it has been in a tight, clean container..As long as hasnt been contaminated, it should be cool.
Old 03-02-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i doubt it, they have it sealed inside and a cap too. i know for a fact dealer coolant sometimes sits there for years in the parts dept.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
alright cool, I was just curious.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
when it comes to fluids that are to be used in a hydralic system (ie brake or clutch) only use from a sealed container..using from an unsealed container risks the introduction of contamination (ie dirt or mosture)..moisture is never good in a hydraulic system so if you dont finish a container throw it out...by nature antifreeze uses water so no harm with moisture from using an open container
Old 03-03-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
hummm.... bottle should have an expiration date on it

But antifreeze is simply ethylene glycol, and that is pretty stable, so I would say I can't really see it going bad.

In addition to that, water does most of the actual heat transferring in antifreeze, the EG (ethylene glycol) is just there to keep it form freezing. So as long as the contents of the contain can't be frozen, then all is good.
Old 03-04-2006
Registered!!

thanks for the replies everyone, I went ahead and used the old coolant I had. considering honda type 2 is now $20 A Gallon, I would use it even if it was 10 years old.
Old 03-10-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by streetglower
thanks for the replies everyone, I went ahead and used the old coolant I had. considering honda type 2 is now $20 A Gallon, I would use it even if it was 10 years old.
oh damn, i just saw that your addy changed in the top right. P/m me your general locaton man, we got to get you into the scene. less of course brad already has hehe. sorry bout the thread hijack......

yeah the antifreeze is still good (I'm trying to be as obvious as possible) cept it will taste a lil different as the water content is probably a lil less.....