Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

10,000 mile oil change

Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
10,000 mile oil change

Does anyone wait until 10,000 miles to change their oil? I usually change at 5,000, but I have gone 7500 this time and wondering...I checked the oil , there is still plenty of oil in and it is very clean...wait till 10,000 like the manual says?
Old 02-12-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Uhmmm.... the manual say under ideal conditions the car can go 10K miles, normal or hard driving oil should be changed every 5K.
Old 02-12-2005
Slow Down Im Gonna Spurt!!

JDm7thGen is an unknown quantity at this point
screw that ....your car is an investment...and im sure you dont baby it.....its not going to be worth a blown motor down the road
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

dvsdara is an unknown quantity at this point
I change every 3k miles still.
Old 02-12-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dvsdara
me too...
Old 02-12-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i changed about 5k or half a year using synthetic
Old 02-12-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
oil is always 'clean' it never gets 'dirty'......all that happens is that all the detergents and additives are depleted and yur left with the black, base, petroleum part. so the oil is actually always clean, just......gets used up. i usually change it every 3,000.
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

mattnyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Your car is not an investment. It is a liability. It depreciates every second you own it and ever time you drive it. If you have paid the bank and have the title it becomes an depreciating asset. The only time your car is an investment is if you buy a luxury sports car and the car appreciates and allows you to buy something of more value than you bought the car for.

Review:

1. Car with payments = Liability
2. Car fully paid off = Depreciating Asset
3. Classic car just sitting in your garage = Asset/investment

Originally Posted by JDm7thGen
screw that ....your car is an investment...and im sure you dont baby it.....its not going to be worth a blown motor down the road
Old 02-12-2005
I love to suck t3h c0ck & am supr ghey

i8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nice
Originally Posted by mattnyc
Your car is not an investment. It is a liability. It depreciates every second you own it and ever time you drive it. If you have paid the bank and have the title it becomes an depreciating asset. The only time your car is an investment is if you buy a luxury sports car and the car appreciates and allows you to buy something of more value than you bought the car for.

Review:

1. Car with payments = Liability
2. Car fully paid off = Depreciating Asset
3. Classic car just sitting in your garage = Asset/investment
haha +1
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the responses ABOUT OIL CHANGE MILES, keep in on the topic of when you change your oil not this other stuff, thanks.
Old 02-12-2005

Originally Posted by hotrodcivic2004
oil is always 'clean' it never gets 'dirty'......all that happens is that all the detergents and additives are depleted and yur left with the black, base, petroleum part. so the oil is actually always clean, just......gets used up. i usually change it every 3,000.

Actually, this has been covoered many times... 90% of internal combution engines have this thing called blow by, where a little bit of the carbon from the fuel gets by the piston rings. INstead of depositing this blow by on things like your crank, and everything that your oil goes into. Oil turns black because the blow by get suspended in the oil, but the larger particles get filtered out by your filter. These small particles are what makes your oil turn black, it's small particles of carbon, the same stuff you see coming out of the stacks on a semitruck.
Old 02-12-2005

Originally Posted by StealthCivic
thanks for the responses ABOUT OIL CHANGE MILES, keep in on the topic of when you change your oil not this other stuff, thanks.
Sorry about the above post, lol... but it is good to informed about why you need to change your oil, hence this can be related to why it is bad to go to long.
Old 02-12-2005

jamescardenas07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dvsdara
mee too but i hardly reach that in 3 months so sometimes i wait for the 6month lol
Old 02-12-2005
I survived that B*tch Katrina !!!

boombazokajoe91 is an unknown quantity at this point
id change it every 3000k .. thats what i do also
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

Sadly, if you change your oil every 5k miles and perform the other recommended maintenance, your civic can last you 500,000 miles. meaning you wont need another car for a loooong time.
Old 02-12-2005

Sadly, if you change your oil every 5k miles and perform the other recommended maintenance, your civic can last you 500,000 miles. meaning you wont need another car for a loooong time.

Just because a couple honda's have made it to the 500K mark, doesn't mean they all can. My dad had a '93 Accord DX, changed the oil every 3k and did all maintenance when recommended by Honda and spun the main baring at 223K. My point is that every engine is made a little different, after 200K+ those little differences become big differences and the engine fails. For instance, when the cylinder bore is made in the factory, the bit is changed dialy, perhaps your engine was the first engine that bit saw, that means your bores are near perfect, while the last engine of the day got a bit that's been used all day and the bores are not as striaght, but not bad. The last engine simply will not last as long as the first.
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

My bad, i may have exxagerated with 500k. but i have two 1980 civic sedans park near me at work and they run fine. Both are 350k+ miles. pretty impressive if you ask me. i think the way you drive is more important than the difference of oil changes btwn 3-5-10k miles.

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Just because a couple honda's have made it to the 500K mark, doesn't mean they all can. My dad had a '93 Accord DX, changed the oil every 3k and did all maintenance when recommended by Honda and spun the main baring at 223K. My point is that every engine is made a little different, after 200K+ those little differences become big differences and the engine fails. For instance, when the cylinder bore is made in the factory, the bit is changed dialy, perhaps your engine was the first engine that bit saw, that means your bores are near perfect, while the last engine of the day got a bit that's been used all day and the bores are not as striaght, but not bad. The last engine simply will not last as long as the first.
Old 02-12-2005
Godlike member

ex_03 is on a distinguished road
every 3K
Old 02-12-2005

My bad, i may have exxagerated with 500k. but i have two 1980 civic sedans park near me at work and they run fine. Both are 350k+ miles. pretty impressive if you ask me. i think the way you drive is more important than the difference of oil changes btwn 3-5-10k miles.
I really wasn't tring to be harsh or anything, just pointing out that not every Civic is created equal. I too have seen many well above the 300K mark. But to stay on topic, I don't think a 3-5K oil change will matter that much. I go 3K because changing your oil to often can not hurt your car, but leaving bad oil in your car can hurt the engine. People who say, I change my oil every 7.5K and nothing has happend, usually only have their cars for under 100K. I would like to see the cylinder bores after 100K, because the damage done by not changing your oil is not an immediate thing. It can cuase small scratchs in the cylinder wall, and with time those become big scratchs, then you start to loose compression. At the same time things like gaskets start to suffer from the degraded oil (if you are not using synthtic oil). Your filter becomes saturated and can no longer get larger particles of carbon out from the blow by of the cylinders. So, only bad things can happen from leaving your oil in to long, although the problems usually dont arise for a while, you are causing exsive ware and tear on the internals of the engine. That's why I go every 3k, I bet 5k would be okay too, but like I siad earlier, better safe than sorry. A few more quartz of oil and a filter is cheaper than a K24 (I have an Accord).
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

Alphax is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats oil? I can never go 3000 miles I gotta fillup at least every 375
Old 02-12-2005
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by StealthCivic
Does anyone wait until 10,000 miles to change their oil? I usually change at 5,000, but I have gone 7500 this time and wondering...I checked the oil , there is still plenty of oil in and it is very clean...wait till 10,000 like the manual says?
christ, change it every 3000, i dont care what the manual says. you want longevity out of your engine life........every 3000.
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
I agree that it would depend on how you drive. If you do mostly stop and go i would change the oil every 3k. If you do 80% or more highway, you can probably will till 5k or 7500 miles before it changes. I think 10k is a little too long, but then again BMW's have 10k oil changes and volves have 7500 mile oil changes. The reason being is that technology in engines have become a lot more efficient then those of the past, so you dont have to change the oil as often as the old ones.
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
3000 is too short and 5000 is too long for dino oil.. so I change mine every 4000 miles with genuine Honda 5w20 and Honda Filtech filter.
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
I agree that it would depend on how you drive. If you do mostly stop and go i would change the oil every 3k. If you do 80% or more highway, you can probably will till 5k or 7500 miles before it changes. I think 10k is a little too long, but then again BMW's have 10k oil changes and volves have 7500 mile oil changes. The reason being is that technology in engines have become a lot more efficient then those of the past, so you dont have to change the oil as often as the old ones.
Engine technology has changed,but oil has changed even more. Syntek oil and good filters will go 10K no problem,unless you live in the desert! You can change sooner if you want,but you woun't see any difference.
And sorry I don't use any Honda fluids or filters.
Old 02-12-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
I go about 5k-7.5k, and use full synthetic oil. I wouldn't go that far if I used regular oil. My dealer says 3750-5000 with regular crude based oil though.
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pon55
Engine technology has changed,but oil has changed even more. Syntek oil and good filters will go 10K no problem,unless you live in the desert! You can change sooner if you want,but you woun't see any difference.
And sorry I don't use any Honda fluids or filters.
yeah i forgot to mention that too. I wouldn't go 10k if you a lot of stop and go driving though. 10k is mostly optimal at highway driving. I think 5k is a good compromise between 3k and 10k.
Old 02-12-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
I go 3500 with it! Thats the least the most 4000 but i would never go 10000 with the same oil especially the way i drive but i guess it does all depend on how you drive your car.
Old 02-12-2005

Originally Posted by flotsamm
3000 is too short and 5000 is too long for dino oil.. so I change mine every 4000 miles with genuine Honda 5w20 and Honda Filtech filter.
Honda use a synthetic blend oil for the 5w20 oil. They have to use a synthetic blend oil becasue of emmisions... not sure what on the emmision, but that's what they told me, and they wouldn't tell me more. I got that from American Honda too, not some guy in the dealership.
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
[QUOTE=Jrfish007]Honda use a synthetic blend oil for the 5w20 oil. They have to use a synthetic blend oil becasue of emmisions... not sure what on the emmision, but that's what they told me, and they wouldn't tell me more. I got that from American Honda too, not some guy in the dealership.[/QDaddy said you can bs your friends cause the belive you, strangers woun't! Blend? 1%= blend.
Sorry, just not like a mfg to give you anything good!
Old 02-12-2005

[QUOTE=pon55]
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Honda use a synthetic blend oil for the 5w20 oil. They have to use a synthetic blend oil becasue of emmisions... not sure what on the emmision, but that's what they told me, and they wouldn't tell me more. I got that from American Honda too, not some guy in the dealership.[/QDaddy said you can bs your friends cause the belive you, strangers woun't! Blend? 1%= blend.
Sorry, just not like a mfg to give you anything good!

So what about the car you are driving? Isn't that from the same manufacture?

Lets think about that for a second here... Honda is known for reilabilty, why would they want to comprise that with crapy oil? It would make more sense to me if they gave a better oil that would help there cars last longer, becasue that's what they are know for.

true, I don't know what they how much they blend. Perhaps they use organic oil with addatives, and that's their blend. But if they think I should use these addatives, then I will, becasue sure have a lot more at stake if something goes wrong with my car than any other oil company out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10,000 mile oil change