DIY:01-03 Headlight Aim Adjustment 56K WARNING

Old 04-29-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
DIY:01-03 Headlight Aim Adjustment 56K WARNING

This is a DIY on how to adjust your headlight beams.
I know some of you with HID's are having problems aiming them and some of you just want to know exactly how to aim the headlights so I decided to do this.
Please note that since I have HID’s, those of you with stock lights will see a different beam than shown in the pics but the directions don’t change.
Also note that most of the pics don’t represent exact measurements, but were created to give you a better idea. I was using mspaint and not having pics to scale didn’t help.

NOTE: Coupe housings do not have an adjustment gear for left/right aim.

You will need the following:
1. A stolen towel from the MGM Grand (or something to cover one headlight housing)
2. A long Phillips head screwdriver (mine is 8” long)
3. A flashlight (not mandatory, but helps)
4. A tape measure (or something that can go 25ft.)

First, you need to find yourself a dark, flat, open area with a wall that’s hopefully white.
Using your tape measure, move your car back so that it is 25ft away and perpendicular to the wall.

With the tape measure running down to the middle of the car, draw a vertical line on the wall to represent the center or middle.

Now you need to take 3 measurements:
1. Measure end to end using the middle of the headlight bulbs as the ends.
2. From the ground up to where the bulb is.
3. From one end to the center of the car.
I took some measurements but they are only estimates because I didn’t have a friend to help me on this part.
1. Roughly 44 inches.
2. Roughly 22 inches.
3. Roughly 37 inches.

Using the vertical line you drew on the wall as the centerline, draw lines using the measurements you took.
DRAW MEASUREMENT 2 2 INCHES LOWER THAN MEASURED.

Now to show you guys how to adjust the beam left/right and up/down.
These directions relate to the driver’s side. For the passenger side, just flip the left/right directions regarding where to find the gears.

First, let’s find the gear to adjust the beam left and right.
The gear is on the left side of the housing. It may be hard to find because the frame of the car is blocking it. The screwdriver has to be put through a hole on the frame to reach.
The following pics should explain it all.

If you look closer at the housing, you’ll notice that molded into the housing are 2 arrows with L and R next to them to show you which direction does what.
Turning the screwdriver clockwise moves the beam left.
Turning the screwdriver counterclockwise moves it right.

Now to find the gear to adjust up/down. This is on the right side of the housing.

You’ll also notice that there is a picture molded near the gear.
Turning the screwdriver clockwise moves the beam up.
Turning the screwdriver counterclockwise moves it down.

Now that you’re all prepared and know what to do, lets aim them.
The lines drawn on the wall is going to be used to aim the beam.
The following picture shows how you need to aim them.

Cover one housing with the towel so you can see/find the cut off lines better.
With HID’s in a NON-HID housing, finding the cut off lines is very hard / almost impossible. I drew cut off lines higher than they really are so you can see better.

Driver Side

Passenger Side

Both Sides

Something you should know
The headlight bulbs aren’t held in place with Superman tightness. They can move left and right. This might be a factor as to why your beam might not look as good. The video BulbMovement available for download at the link at the bottom shows you what I mean.
This applies for any bulb, HID or stock or aftermarket H4. How to correct it?
Sorry, I’m not sure about this one. Don’t have time to check. Someone check and tell me.

Now on to some pics to show off the HIDs =)
Camera 25 feet away on the ground

Camera about 6 feet right

Camera about 6 feet left

Intense glare!!!

Drivers seat

You can go HERE and d/l some videos I made.
HID = Camera 25 feet away on the ground.
HIDHighLow = Camera 25 feet away on the ground with me flicking the high beams.
HIDWall = Camera in drivers seat with me flicking the high beams.

Last edited by LiKEaFeRiO; 04-11-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2004
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
very nice!!!!!!!!! I have a 2001 coupe, but i don't have that metall round piece that you turn on your headlight with the screw driver it's in the same place but more like like a plastic bolt
Old 04-29-2004
Registered!!

jackscivic will become famous soon enough
great post, im gonig to do this tonight! ive been fighting my headlights to get a good adjsutment. also how are you sopposed to aim fog lights? as it is now mine are blinding on comming traffic...
Old 04-29-2004
Registered!!

flipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enoughflipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enough
good job man...what cause the headlight to mis-aim???Wouldnt the aim be perfect straight from the dealer? Is installing new bulbs or HIDS the reason for mis-aim?
Old 04-29-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
excuse me...

why there isn't any such thing in my coupe headlight?!?!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	p1020304.jpg
Views:	2992
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	28177  
Old 04-29-2004
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
there's only this thing....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	p1020305.jpg
Views:	4550
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	28179  
Old 04-29-2004
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
the headlight he used for DIY is an aftermarket Headlight .... i used to have the same one

for OEM, i think you can only adjust the up and down ... and i do not know how to adjust for left and right
Old 04-29-2004
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
thanks for the post, but like the other people said, i dont think my headlights have the adjustment for left/right either.
Old 04-29-2004
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
My headlights are the same OEM stock housings that came from the factory. If you look at the pictures you'll notice the horrible re-chaulking job after I've opened them up twice. Once for clearing and another for blacked out housings.

I have a Sedan. Maybe Coupe owners have it different. It you guys do then sorry, I guess this doesn't really apply to you guys.

For the guy that asked about the plastic bolt: I had the same plastic covers. I ripped them out. You can do the same. Wait, you said you had a coupe. Then I'm not sure.
Old 04-29-2004
Registered!!

And I'm guessing that aftermarket headlight housing are modeled after the sedan.
Old 04-29-2004
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
nice DIY
Old 04-29-2004

playa6tnine is an unknown quantity at this point
man if some1 made something like this for the tyc projections it would be soooooo tyte!!
but nice job on this DIY man!
Old 04-29-2004
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
If there's a white plastic piece covering the gear for the left/right adjustment, then you have to take out the headlight and pull it off...I learned that the extra hard way (melted it in the oven, then tried to pry it off...almost broke the damn thing.).
Old 04-30-2004
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by pLaYa6tNine
man if some1 made something like this for the tyc projections it would be soooooo tyte!!
but nice job on this DIY man!
what the diy is explaining is the exact measurements. it apllyies the same why if you know were the bolts are. you caaannn doo itttttt
Old 04-30-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
THAT WAS A GREAT DIY
Old 05-14-2004
Registered!!

agungmeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it true that the right side should little bit higher than the left side?
Old 04-11-2005
Premium Member

hondaes1 has disabled reputation
bump
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

MBison is just really niceMBison is just really niceMBison is just really niceMBison is just really nice
good job
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

Thanks...wow this is so old.

Made some updates regarding years and coupe models.
Old 04-12-2005
GODLIKE

ASIANPRIDE is an unknown quantity at this point
Man I love this DIY and the vids are great....
Old 11-11-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
finally, thank you!! i finally fixed mine after a year of driving with hids pointed down way too low, finally my hids project as far as they should, lol
Old 03-06-2009
Registered!!

lokixxcivicb0i is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY:01-03 Headlight Aim Adjustment 56K WARNING

coupe and sedans use the same headlights.
Old 03-06-2009
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ LULZ talk about a bump..
Old 03-06-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

they are actually quite different too. sedans have extra left/right adjusters, different bulb glare covers, different size turn/park light sockets, different headlight reflectors, different side diffuser for turn signal amber cover, and different bulb holder clips for the h4 bulb.
Old 03-06-2009
Registered!!

lokixxcivicb0i is an unknown quantity at this point

word? hmmmm cuz i was comparing the to at pic-a-part awhile ago and they looked exactly like my head lights even the bulb holders and crap. it might just have be luck that the 4dr i was looking at had switched out his headlights for ones that came off a 2dr. ohwell
Old 03-06-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Gear is right they are different, and the sedan headlights have a better reflector.
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

PaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond repute

my situation is this...i got hids on my car....for some reason, the beam pattern on the drivers side(when shining against a wall) seems a little scattered, while the passenger side seems to be a direct beam which is noticeable up against the wall...i put the stock bulbs back in both housings, re-aimed them and they were even...then when i put my hids back in, the beams seem uneven...any idea what this might be? im thinking that my drivers side headlight is tweaked...any info is appreciated. thanks.
Old 03-20-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the hid kit is obviously to blame, aside from not being designed properly, the bulb sits in a different position so its likely just a quality control issue with the kit you have. that bulb needs to be in a very precise position.
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

PaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond repute

i kinda figured that...i'mma get me a name brand kit soon anyhow. thanks gear.
Old 03-20-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PaCiFiKbAllA
my situation is this...i got hids on my car....for some reason, the beam pattern on the drivers side(when shining against a wall) seems a little scattered, while the passenger side seems to be a direct beam which is noticeable up against the wall...i put the stock bulbs back in both housings, re-aimed them and they were even...then when i put my hids back in, the beams seem uneven...any idea what this might be? im thinking that my drivers side headlight is tweaked...any info is appreciated. thanks.
yea, its called glare. thats the chance u take when you get hids.....especially cheap kits

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY:01-03 Headlight Aim Adjustment 56K WARNING