P1259 VTEC System Malfunction

Old 11-05-2004
Hail to the king baby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
Exclamation P1259 VTEC System Malfunction

Does anybody know how to debug my problem. OBDII scanner is throwing the code P1259 which tanslates to VTEC system malfunction.

My car shakes at idle....could I be misfiring or is it a bad solenoid?
My plugs look good and are correctly gapped.

Any ideas from you honda tech gurus.

Or could you let me know what to fix to get rid of VTEC system malfunction...I deleted the code and have reset the ECU but it made no difference...engine still shakes at idle up to about 1,100 rpms.

The shaking is getting worse.

I know the code has to do with the
Rear VTEC Pressure Switch
VTEC System Malfunction, Rear Bank (Bank 1)

Last edited by kjgracing; 11-05-2004 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2004
Registered!!

02CIVYEX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i have that same problem. does your vtec work cuse my don't at all well it did for a while but t stopped working i can't go past 4k rpm i should be taking it to the dealership to fix it they said warranty maycover it depeding what it is. i asked if he had any ideas what i could be he said it could be vtec solenoid, ecu, or something else he said it couldn't be the oil pressure cause they don't have that problem here amarillo,tx
Old 11-05-2004
Turbos, Engines, Chassis and Suspension Tech

4drcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Make sure the solenoid is plugged in, or that the wire didn't get broken somehow.
Old 11-05-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I had that problem pop up a few weeks ago, went to the dealership and they tested the VTec system... every thing came out normal. they offered to either replace the parts ($130 for parts) or to just reset the CEL and see if it comes back. I opted for the reset. and its only happend once since. So... I dont konw

BTW, the way it pops up on my car is that it will light the CEL and then the car wont rev past 3700 RPMs (Safe Mode). if i turn the car off for about 20 min, the next time I drive the car the CEL will be on, but the car will rev past 3,700 RPMs. If I turn off the car one more time and let it sit.... Either the CEL will be off, or it will turn its self off after being driven for a while. Wierd Eh?
Old 11-05-2004
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Are you running an E-Manage or V-AFC to control VTEC??
Old 11-05-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Check your oil level and make sure it is not low.
Old 11-05-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
welll the oil is fine. It does not shut off vtec completely...I have the problem with asnd without the venom vcn 400 turned on. Also my 1/4 lie times have slipped abot 61oths!!!
now I hear a weird nock from the drivers side engine if I let off @ 3K rpms.. nside motor mount maybe?
Old 11-06-2004
Turbos, Engines, Chassis and Suspension Tech

4drcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bet the wiring of the VCN400 is messing with the ECU.
Old 11-07-2004
Hail to the king baby

I think that it could be misfiring. One of the coils looks a little rusty so I cleaned it and applied dielectric grease to it...it runs a bit better and I found out the nocking noise is caused from the driver side motor mount...the rubber buching has come it half and is being pushed out.

A DMM shows that the wiring of the VCN 400 is fine. I did the DIY VTEC light and it comes on when I drive hard. Also hooked up the LED for the VCN 400 and it shows that it comes on correctly at full throttle.

I am tempted to just fix the motor mount now and trade in my vic for the new Mustang....I can't decide...either Saleen, GT v8 with a supercharger later, or wait till Feb for the Roush Stage 3 or dec 2005 for cobra!! UGH!! tooo many decisions!
Old 11-11-2004
Hail to the king baby

anyone try the urethane fittings for the motormount with success?
Old 12-03-2004
Hail to the king baby

bump
Old 12-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you still havent fixed this problem after 4 weeks? If you want Pm me and I can go through my service manual and look up the trouble code and give you some steps on what to test and see what the problem is
Old 12-09-2004
Hail to the king baby

o.k.
anyone else have any ideas?
Old 12-09-2004
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
Special Tools Required
-Pressure Gauge Adaptor 07NAJ-P07010A
-A/T Low Pressure Gauge w/panel 07406-0070300
-A/T Pressure Hose 07406-0020201
-A/T Pressure Hose 2,210 mm 07MAJ-PY4011A
-A/T Pressure Adaptor 07MAJ-PY40120
-Oil Pressure Hose 07ZAJ-S5AA200

Step 1) Reset the ECM/PCM

to do this you need to pull a fuse under the hood. Its the No. 6 ECU 15A

pull this fuse for 15 seconds and then reinsert it

Step 2) Check the oil level, and refill is necessary

Step 3) Start the engine, put the car in park if you have an auto, neutral if you have a 5-speed. Hold the RPM's at 3000 RPM until the radiator fan comes on, don't turn off the car just yet.

Step 4) Time to go for a drive, accerlate in first gear to an engine speed over 4000 rpm. Hold the engine speed for at least 2 seconds. If DTC P1259 is not repeated during the first test drive the try this test 2 more times.

Is DTC P1259 indicated?

YES - Go to Step 5
NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time, Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the VTEC solenoid valve, at the VTEC pressure switch, and the ECM/PCM

Step 5) Turn the ignition off

Step 6) Remove the resonator, basically your stock intake is 3 parts, the part right above the throttle body, we'll call this piece A. The middle part that runs from piece A and that extension pipe over by the battery. This middle piece is the piece you want to remove.

Note, im guessing that if you have an aftermarket intake your going to need to put your stock intake back on.

Step 7) Disconnect the VTEC oil pressure switch 2p connector

The rest of the steps will follow shortly
Old 12-09-2004

Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
Step 8) Check for continuity between the VTEC oil pressure switch p2 connector terminals No 1 and No 2

Is there continunity?

YES - Go to Step 9
NO - Replace the VTEC oil pressure switch

Step 9) Turn the ignition switch to ON (II)

Step 10) Measure the voltage between VTEC oil pressure seitch 2p connector 1 and body ground.

Is there battary voltage

YES - Go to Step 15
NO - Got to Step 11

Step 11) Measure the voltage between the ECM/PCM terminal B9 and body ground

Is there battery voltage?

YES - Repair the open wire between the VTEC oil pressure switch and the ECM/PCM (B9)
NO - Go to Step 12

Step 12) Turn the ignition switch off (II)

Step 13) Disconnect the ECM/PCM connector B (24P)

Step 14) Check the continuity between ECM/PCM connector terminal B9 and body ground.

Is there continuity?

YES - Repair the short in the wire between the VTEC oil pressure switch and the ECM/PCM (B9)
NO - Update the ECM/PCM software if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, the recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, then replace the orginal ECM/PCM.

More to come
Old 12-09-2004

Step 15) Measure the voltage between VTEC oil pressure switch 2p connector terminals 1 and 2

Is there battery voltage?

YES - Go to Step 16
NO - Repair open wire between the VTEC oil pressure switch and G101.

Step 16) Turn the ignition switch off (II)

Step 17) Disconnect the VTEC soleniod valve 1p connector

Step 18) Check the resistance between VTEC soleniod valve 1p connector and body ground

Is there 14-30 ohms?

YES - Go to Step 19
NO - Replace VTEC solenoid valve

Step 19) Remove the VTEC oil pressure switch (A), and install the special tools as shown, then reinstall the VTEC oil pressure switch

Step 20) Reconnect the VTEC solenoid valve 1p connector and the VTEC oil pressure switch 2p

Step 21) Connect a tachometer

Step 22) Start the engine, put the car in park if you have an auto, neutral if you have a 5-speed. Hold the RPM's at 3000 RPM until the radiator fan comes on, don't turn off the car

Step 23) Check the oil pressure at engine speeds of 1,000, 2,000, and 4,000 rpm. Keep the measuring time as short as possible (less than 1 minute) because the engine is running with no load

[I]Is the oil pressure below 49 kPa (.0 kgf/cm^2, 7 psi)?

YES - Go to Step 24
NO - Inspect the VTEC solenoid valve
Old 12-09-2004

Step 24) Turn the ignition switch off

Step 25) Disconnect the VTEC solenoid valve 1p connector

Step 26) Attach the battery positive terminal to the VTEC solenoid valve terminal

Step 27) Start the engine and check the oil pressure at 3,000 rpm

Is the oil pressure above 390 kPa(4.0 kgf/cm^2, 57 psi)

YES - Go to Step 28
NO - Inspect the VTEC soleniod valve

Step 28) With the battery positive terminal still connected to the VTEC solenoid valve, measure voltage between ECM/PCM connector terminal B9 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage above 4,000 rpm?

YES - Go to Step 29

Step 29) Turn the ignition switch off

Step 30) Disconnect the battery positive terminal from the VTEC solenoid valve terminal

Step 31) Disconnect the ECM/PCM connector B (24P)

Step 32) Check the continuity between the ECM/PCM connector terminal B15 and body ground.

Is there continuity?

YES - Repair the short in the wire between the VTEC solenoid valve and the ECM/PCM(B15)
NO - Go to step 33

Step 33) Connect VTEC solenoid valve 1p connector terminal No. 1 to a body ground with a jumper wire

Step 34) Check for continuity between ECM/PCM connector terminal B15 and body ground

Is the continuity?

YES - Update the ECM/PCM software if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, the recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, then replace the orginal ECM/PCM.
NO - Repair open in the wire between the VTEC solenoid valve and the ECM/PCM (B15)
The following users liked this post:
edukates (12-21-2023)
Old 12-09-2004

If you need further instructions on things like inspecting and/or replacing the VTEC solenoid valve, replacing the ECM/PCM, or anything else, just post here.
Old 12-09-2004

cordeez should not be trustedcordeez should not be trustedcordeez should not be trustedcordeez should not be trustedcordeez should not be trustedcordeez should not be trustedcordeez should not be trustedcordeez should not be trustedcordeez should not be trustedcordeez should not be trustedcordeez should not be trusted
that should work
Old 12-09-2004
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Wow, good explanation
Old 12-10-2004
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by darklegacy540
Wow, good explanation
i'll second that!
did you get all that out of the helm manual?
Old 12-10-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
that sounds more like a honda tech service manual
Old 12-10-2004

Bingo

Just sharing the knowledge with my fellow 7thgeners
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.JPG
Views:	84708
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	43692  
Old 02-12-2005
Slow Down Im Gonna Spurt!!

JDm7thGen is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kjgracing
welll the oil is fine. It does not shut off vtec completely...I have the problem with asnd without the venom vcn 400 turned on. Also my 1/4 lie times have slipped abot 61oths!!!
now I hear a weird nock from the drivers side engine if I let off @ 3K rpms.. nside motor mount maybe?

Hey Man Watch Out! thats exactly the same thing that was going on with my car after that safe mode bull **** ....and the noices will only get worse so go get your motor checked out by honda bc that nofo is about to blow just like mine did.....
Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

emicha is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: P1259 VTEC System Malfunction

How I can view the pictures of this great post?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Got Boost???
Step 24) Turn the ignition switch off

Step 25) Disconnect the VTEC solenoid valve 1p connector

Step 26) Attach the battery positive terminal to the VTEC solenoid valve terminal

Step 27) Start the engine and check the oil pressure at 3,000 rpm

Is the oil pressure above 390 kPa(4.0 kgf/cm^2, 57 psi)

YES - Go to Step 28
NO - Inspect the VTEC soleniod valve

Step 28) With the battery positive terminal still connected to the VTEC solenoid valve, measure voltage between ECM/PCM connector terminal B9 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage above 4,000 rpm?

YES - Go to Step 29

Step 29) Turn the ignition switch off

Step 30) Disconnect the battery positive terminal from the VTEC solenoid valve terminal

Step 31) Disconnect the ECM/PCM connector B (24P)

Step 32) Check the continuity between the ECM/PCM connector terminal B15 and body ground.

Is there continuity?

YES - Repair the short in the wire between the VTEC solenoid valve and the ECM/PCM(B15)
NO - Go to step 33

Step 33) Connect VTEC solenoid valve 1p connector terminal No. 1 to a body ground with a jumper wire

Step 34) Check for continuity between ECM/PCM connector terminal B15 and body ground

Is the continuity?

YES - Update the ECM/PCM software if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM, the recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM/PCM, then replace the orginal ECM/PCM.
NO - Repair open in the wire between the VTEC solenoid valve and the ECM/PCM (B15)
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emicha
How I can view the pictures of this great post?
Sorry about the fuzzy pics, phone cam.

Name:  P12592.jpg
Views: 21406
Size:  83.7 KB
Name:  P12593.jpg
Views: 21441
Size:  93.1 KB
Old 12-12-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to 7th gen DIY electrical subforum. This is good information to be here.
Old 12-31-2010
Registered!!

matt_d_83 is an unknown quantity at this point

where can i get one of those books?

I'm having this same issue. I checked the screen on the solenoid but its clear. Everything seems to be hooked up fine. However, i'm ignorant when it comes to checking the electrical connections. Thought about just replacing the solenoid. found a couple on ebay for around $50
Old 12-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by matt_d_83
http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...C01&itemtype=N
Old 01-01-2011
Registered!!

emicha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by matt_d_83

I'm having this same issue. I checked the screen on the solenoid but its clear. Everything seems to be hooked up fine. However, i'm ignorant when it comes to checking the electrical connections. Thought about just replacing the solenoid. found a couple on ebay for around $50
Just replace the middle (from the 3) relay under the glove compartment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P1259 VTEC System Malfunction