Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Will I loose my car for getting a DUI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Will I loose my car for getting a DUI?

Hello,

Will I loose my car if I’m convicted for DUI. I read somewhere that despite a fine and suspension of license, the authority will also confiscate the vehicle in charge.

Is this true?
Old 05-17-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will I loose my car for getting a DUI?

Consult an attorney!

Every place seems to have different rules/laws, contact someone who specializes in law
Old 05-17-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

They can impound the car, depending on location. But you are using internet, easier to simply check the local rules...
Old 05-18-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Is it a Honda? Probably not...

j/k

you have to consult your provincial laws is so different province to province. Do some digging through dmv online and you should find your answers.

I can tell you here in BC (where laws are considered toughest in Canada) a first offense DUI will cost you more than $6000 to get behind the wheel again. You will have an interlock device installed in your car and you will be responsible for all maintenance and sevice of it for a year. If you fail the conditions of that in the first year then you'll have to do another year. Our government run insurance company will also make it extremely difficult for you to afford car insurance.

but take your car.... no.
Old 05-18-2016
Registered!!

So, are you saying it's better to forget the car? But doing so, my record of DUI will be never pardoned.
Old 05-18-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Robin17
So, are you saying it's better to forget the car? But doing so, my record of DUI will be never pardoned.
have you checked the local laws in your area already? or are you still drunk to not have read so far...
Old 05-19-2016
Registered!!

I'm from Toronto. So, it looks like the police will detain the car for 7 days under our law.
I have consulted Kostman&Pyzer barristers to defend the case. My license is going to be suspended for long. Hope the lawyer could reduce it.
Old 05-20-2016
Registered!!

MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robin17
I'm from Toronto. So, it looks like the police will detain the car for 7 days under our law.
I have consulted Kostman&Pyzer barristers to defend the case. My license is going to be suspended for long. Hope the lawyer could reduce it.
Best of luck, hope it all works out for you and you learn something from the experience.

I won't drive beyond two beers, the cops are always out to get you. It's just not worth the risk.
Old 05-20-2016
Registered!!

I never taking a car to pub again.

thanks guys
Old 07-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

late reply to this i know,

but in ontario (which i believe you are from) your vehicle is kept/impounded for 7 days, to get the vehicle back after 7 days you will have to pay the tow fee, plus an impound fee for each day, in total this is likely to cost you around $800

your license is suspended immediately for 90 days,

if convicted your fine would be minimum $1000, this could increase depending on previous record,

if convicted you would be suspended for one year, after the one year suspension you would need to use an interlock device for one year in any vehicle you drive, and you would need to pay for that,

you would also need to attend and pass an alcohol program called "back on track" at your own cost of about $700 before you get your license back

but to answer the original question, no they do not take or keep your car, that would only happen if you failed to recover the car from the impound lot by not going to get it and paying the recovery fees