Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Got Pulled Over Tonight. Need info.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghettochild2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Got Pulled Over Tonight. Need info.

I have a Washington license and moved to Oregon 2 years ago, but never bothered to switch my license over. Got pulled over once for going 5 over the speed limit and took a driver safety class to get it dismissed. That was a year ago and haven't been driving since. Alright, so I just got my civic and have been saving up for title transfer/plates all that bs. Until then just so I could drive legally (so I thought) I got a 20 day trip permit. That expired and I just got another today. Tonight I got pulled over because the cop didn't see a license plate but then saw the trip permit. Ran my license and found out that it's suspended? I never received anything in the mail telling me this and now I have to go to court and pay a $260 fine. Wouldn't the DMV tell me this before giving me a trip permit? Because I was under the impression I was 100% legal to drive...
Old 05-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Got Pulled Over Tonight. Need info.

Your lic is suspended? Suspended from which state?
Where I live I think we only get 90 days to change address and license info.

Did the DMV ask for your drivers license while you were there? If no then I'd expect they wouldn't check if you are a valid driver.
Seems like an awful lot of people with no driving privileges still manage to get cars here, seems like DMV doesn't bother to check anyone.

Talk to the States Attorneys office at the courthouse?
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

It's suspended in Washington. The DMV did ask to see me license when
I got the trip permit.Probably has something to do with when I got pulled over last year and the cop gave me a warning to change it : / Though I never got q notice in the mail about my suspension.
Old 05-03-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

your notice probably went to your previous address...
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Washington is very picky about drivers switching their license plates and drivers license over. This stems from the days when it was much more expensive in Washington than Oregon, so everyone just kept their Oregon license. Now that the costs are closer it isn't that big of a deal to switch, but I know they still patrol the neighborhoods in Vancouver looking for out of state plates.
They may have allowed you to renew it since there could be other drivers in the household though they definitely won't if your insurance lapses.
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
your notice probably went to your previous address...
That's what I thought, though I had all my mail forwarded to the new address.
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

So now that I think about it I got into an accident last year and didn't file an accident report. It says here.

"You must file a report even if your vehicle was the only one in the crash. If you do not report an accident when required to do so, your driving privileges will be suspended. "

So that's most likely the reason. Does anyone know how long they will suspend your license for or the process of getting it back?
Old 05-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ghettochild2600
So that's most likely the reason. Does anyone know how long they will suspend your license for or the process of getting it back?
the suspension time will vary depending on the offense,

now that you have been caught driving while suspended, it will be even longer,

sort all this crap out before you sit behind the wheel again, or the snowball will keep getting bigger