Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

California Swap/SMOG out of state vehicle info...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all
California Swap/SMOG out of state vehicle info...

I have heard a lot of questions about getting cars/trucks registered and smogged in Cali (including out of state vehicles). I just want to dispel any rumors out there. People think that it is a pain to do but it is really not that bad...

FOR A SWAP...

Requirements...
1. The engine has to be newer that the car/truck that it's going into.
2. The engine must be out of the same type of vehicle (ex: you cannot put a motorcycle engine in a car).
3. It must have be inspected and be certified by a state referee.
4. All emissions control devices must be kept on the new engine. That means that if you have a 1993 engine in a 1987 truck, then you must have all of the smog control devices from the 1993 engine.

When you get the engine inspected from the state referee he will put a new sticker on your door jamb that makes it legal.

FOR SMOG INSPECTION (for out of state vehicles also)...

After getting a referee inspection (if applicable),
go to a SMOG inspection shop.
Get it inspected. If it doesn't pass, then they will tell you what is needed to make it pass.
You can then...
a. fix it yourself
b. pay someone to fix it
c. talk to a community college auto repair shop, give them the necessary parts and have them fix it for free.
...then go get it inspected again and turn in the paperwork to the DMV.

BAR (board of air resources) 1(800)925-5210
Cali State Referee 1(800)622-7733

I hope this is in the right section and helps my fellow Cali folks!
Old 04-19-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: California Swap/SMOG out of state vehicle info...

Nice.

I believe in Cali, cars older than...1975? dont require smog inspection

Something like that, don't remember the exact year
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

^ Correct, 1975 and older!
Old 04-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

What, you can't put a motorcycle engine in a car.
That's lame, I guess if I ever want a hayabusa Smart I won't be moving to california.

Seriously, this is good info though, I vote sticky.
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

How did you come by this information?

Even if you know the rules, and follow them, trying to find a DMV clerk, referee, and smog tech who also does, and is willing to sign the paperwork, may not be so easy. Don't ask how I know, it was 10 years ago, and the rules have changed since then.