Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Parking in a Handicap zone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Parking in a Handicap zone?

Is parking in a handicap zone without a permit a traffic violation that can go on your record, or is it just a ticket you can pay and go on with life and it wont go on your record?

My mom got one a earlier today and she was wondering about it? I wasnt too sure since I have never recieved one before.

She also wants to know here options? I am not familiar with parking tickets, so I dont know.

Last edited by streetglower; 08-08-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blkbear is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by streetglower
Is parking in a handicap zone without a permit a traffic violation that can go on your record, or is it just a ticket you can pay and go on with life and it wont go on your record?
She also wants to know here options? I am not familiar with parking tickets, so I dont know.
It's not a moving violation, it a parking ticket that will tend to be more spendy than a normal parking ticket. And you can also get towed much quicker parked in a handicap, if the store owner or a person who's handicapped calls to have it towed so they can park there. (And Yes I have seen this happen several times).
A lot of private parking lots have tow services on call and they are fast in getting there, because they know it's fast easy money. My apartment complex has such a service and those guys will show up in less than 3 mins of being called and once they hook up, their towing, unless you have the cash to get them to unhook.

So tell your mom, if she is not willing to pay or risk getting her car towed, best to be parking in spots that are NOT marked or reserved, no matter how fast she thinks she's going to be. Because there is always going to be someone that get PO'ed enough to get you towed or the ticket writer may be having a really bad day and just decide even if there are 20 open handicap spots, the one she's parked in is getting a ticket.

Her options are.... to lie about why she was parked in that spot, or tell the truth about why she was parked in that spot and of course pay the fine no matter which she decides to tell.
Old 08-08-2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Her only option is to pay it. A ticket for parking in a handicap spot without a permit will never be removed or thrown out because there is no legal or valid reason to do so. It will not affect her insurance or license status though. It will go on her record, but no points should be charged. If its something that becomes a habit and she continues to get more tickets for the same offense, her car will be impounded and cost a LOT to get it back. Ultimatly its the same as any other parking ticket, but like the worst one you can get, similar to parking in front of a fire hydrant.
Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
thanks everyone.