Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

HID's Illegal? (Just got a ticket)

Old 12-03-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
HID's Illegal? (Just got a ticket)

I've heard hear say and it never came up with a clear answer but I just got a ticket for my hids. I have heard that in Florida if they don;t come factory then they are illegal. does anyone know for sure? My HID's are out of a G35 So the Ballast is stamped with a DOT certification. Wouldn't that make them ok?
Old 12-04-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Show them the proof. If I ever get ticketed, I'm pulling out the dot approved papers. Technically aftermarket hids are illegal, ie putting hid in a car that wasn't supposed to have them. How did they find you tho, were your lights aimed too high or blue/purple color?
Old 12-04-2004
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure that if the HIDs didn't come out of the factory WITH your car, its considered illegal. With retrofits, although they came out of a car with factory HIDS, once you put them on a different car, it is still considered illegal.
Old 12-04-2004
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
how much is the ticket? is it like the regular $10 fix-it ticket and u have to get it sign off?
Old 12-04-2004
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Originally Posted by JCiv03
I'm pretty sure that if the HIDs didn't come out of the factory WITH your car, its considered illegal. With retrofits, although they came out of a car with factory HIDS, once you put them on a different car, it is still considered illegal.
Correct.
Old 12-04-2004
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha I just got pulled over for this not too long ago. I pretty much BSed the cop saying BMW and Audis have them whats the differnce with mine. Shes like well yours are too blue. I told her that they came right from the bmw factory. Then Im like ill show you the ballest and then she got all confused so she didnt give me a ticket for it but I still got a ticket for my tint
Old 12-04-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
You got busted for this in florida? lol. i find it funny that they dont have any emissions testing at all inflorida, yet they care about headlights
Old 12-04-2004
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by abmerop18
You got busted for this in florida? lol. i find it funny that they dont have any emissions testing at all inflorida, yet they care about headlights
florida is so mickey mouse with its laws.. go fig...
Old 12-04-2004
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
best thing to do is contact the agency that wrote you the citation and ask them if aftermarket hids are illegal... dont tell them you got a ticket. and if they say they are illegal then ask for the state code for that law.

Injen
Old 12-04-2004
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
^ state code eh? so would that mean HIDs would be "legal" in some states?
i know CA isnt on the list. =(
Old 12-04-2004

my father works at a shop and thats where I got the g25 headlights so Im just going to have my dad write a recipt for the headlights and we realighned them lower and Im going to show them the dot papers and she what happenes.
Old 12-04-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Aftermarket HID kits are Illegal... They are for Off Road/Show purposes only...

Even if you have OEM Infinity HIDs in your car, Its still illegal

Infinity G35 uses OEM D2R bulbs (D2R HID bulbs, Meant for G35 Headlight Housing, Not civics).

Our OEM headlights are meant for only H4 Halogen bulbs.

Just giving you the real facts... Sucks that you got pulled over just for having HIDs. Everyone that gets HIDs really needs to have them aimed. I bet if they were aimed correctly or lower you wouldnt have gotten pulled over?
Old 12-04-2004
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
The housing has to be DOT approved with HID bulbs to be legal. Our housings are not, so they will never be legal.
Old 12-05-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Originally Posted by rickinthescv
The housing has to be DOT approved with HID bulbs to be legal. Our housings are not, so they will never be legal.
The housing has to state D2R or D2S on it
Old 12-05-2004
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
being unrealistic, lets take the g35 front end and put it on a civic. so thats headlights, bumper, hood, fender, lights, etc everything for complete conversion. now the hids that came with the g35 are still in the headlamps thats gonna go on the civic. would that still be considered illegal?
Old 12-05-2004
Banned

Originally Posted by D17thgen
being unrealistic, lets take the g35 front end and put it on a civic. so thats headlights, bumper, hood, fender, lights, etc everything for complete conversion. now the hids that came with the g35 are still in the headlamps thats gonna go on the civic. would that still be considered illegal?
I would say yes cause it didnt come with the honda (realistic)

BUT, It would be completley OEM and you would not be getting pulled over for something like that... There would be nothing wrong with it (unless aimed too high).

I have HID projectors on my car... Ive never gotten pulled over. I have had cops ask me where I got my headlights and I have always told them the dealership (damn were they confused)
Old 12-05-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Best answer to everything. I bought the car from the dealership and these mods were already on it
Old 12-05-2004
Cocky guys kick ass!

Cocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura about
i have the brightest HIDs in the history of the F'ing world.. pointedd high, 8000k, all blue.. i've sat facing cops at lights for like 2-4 minutes straight and never been pulled over. maybe they like them. lol... either way, having them is worth a ticket here and there.
Old 12-05-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
california is so ****ing gay with their laws.
Old 12-06-2004
Registered!!

paleren is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ImPulse
Aftermarket HID kits are Illegal... They are for Off Road/Show purposes only...

Even if you have OEM Infinity HIDs in your car, Its still illegal

Infinity G35 uses OEM D2R bulbs (D2R HID bulbs, Meant for G35 Headlight Housing, Not civics).

Our OEM headlights are meant for only H4 Halogen bulbs.

Just giving you the real facts... Sucks that you got pulled over just for having HIDs. Everyone that gets HIDs really needs to have them aimed. I bet if they were aimed correctly or lower you wouldnt have gotten pulled over?

you are correct sir
Old 12-29-2004
Registered!!

ruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to all
Yooo that sucks... I didnt know Florida would actually enforce that law... When I get them I'll just say its a Factory option :-p
Old 12-30-2004

this cop was just being an @$$ he came up to the window and started yelling and cursing and saying how I was fu(KING blinding him. He was in a pissed off mood before and just wanted to take it out on me.He tried to get me for speeding(my radar picked himup when he turned around for me) but i was doing the limit.I have till the 5th of jan to fix it so im going to go to the courthouse during the day and aim them straight down and say I bought it like that.
Old 12-30-2004
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light
interesting...
Old 12-30-2004
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
id say so i was thinking about getting hids, if i do i would just need to have them aimed so they dont blind the fu*k out of people. also if i were to get them what is the best brand and how much do they go for.

thanks.
Old 12-30-2004
Premium Member

Hit up Impulse for hid. But really, what can they do if you say you bought em before the ban went into effect? Nothing. I'm not taking out my $600 hid kit just because the law changed...unless they're willing to pay the cost to take it. As long as light emitted is white in color 4500K ish then you should be fine. There are stock cars with hid that are alot more blinding than aftermarket kits in our vics.
Old 12-30-2004
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gearbox
I'm not taking out my $600 hid kit just because the law changed...unless they're willing to pay the cost to take it.
isn't there an amendment that goes with what you just said? i think it was part of the 5th amendment of the u.s. constitution, but i'm not too sure.

like, you do something that is "okay" and a cop pulls you over and just compliments your ride, and then two weeks later the cop pulls you over for no reason except that what you did 2 weeks ago is in violation with a law that was passed yesterday.
Old 12-31-2004
Banned

Originally Posted by infinite012
isn't there an amendment that goes with what you just said? i think it was part of the 5th amendment of the u.s. constitution, but i'm not too sure.

like, you do something that is "okay" and a cop pulls you over and just compliments your ride, and then two weeks later the cop pulls you over for no reason except that what you did 2 weeks ago is in violation with a law that was passed yesterday.
LOL, thats with the court/law, you cannot be prosecuted twice for the same offence... meaning if you were declared innocent... you are innocent, done. Thats why O - Jay is still walkin around

lol... that wont work on a cop, he will probably nail your ***
Old 12-31-2004
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
that's double jeopardy?

hm....must pay attention in AP gov some more. lol
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

xDCx will become famous soon enoughxDCx will become famous soon enough
I live in Florida. A cop pulled me over a couple weeks ago, not speeding or anything! I was like wtf. He was tellin me he don't care bout my HIDs, but cuz my washer nozzle lights were blue.
Point is this FL cop didn't care bout HIDs.

edit: Still didn't get a ticket btw

Last edited by CivicRidaz1; 01-04-2005 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2005
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
washer nozzle lights! hah!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID's Illegal? (Just got a ticket)