Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

2 simple legal questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
2 simple legal questions

Okay so here's the deal:

On October 19, 2003 I got a ticket for doing an illegal U-turn. I was going somewhere, missed the turn and did a U-ey at the next light. It was a super wide road, no cars around and it was totally safe. Apparently not legal, but not a threat. The problem is half a block up the road there was a police roadblock checking for DUI's. I couldn't see it when I started the U-turn but to them it looked like I tried to avoid it so they chased me down and gave me a ticket.

Of course I am disputing it. I just got a letter in the mail today saying that my court date is Nov 23, which is a day I am in school for 12 hours, approx 1 hr. away from where the courthouse is. Question number 1 is can I change the date if I prove that I have school on that day and can not make it?

EDIT: "If you cannot appear on the date set for the hearing, you may apply for an adjournment. You or someone acting on your behalf (your agent) may apply to the Court location named above, preferably in person, but application may also be made in writing, by fax or by telephone and must be made at least fourteen (14) days before the hearing date shown on this notice. Only those applications that have a valid reason for adjournment will be granted."

Does this mean that I can change the court date or does it only mean that somebody can go for me but it has to be on the same date?

Secondly. My last name is Liden. On the notice I got in the mail, the last name is Ciden. Would I be able to use this as a way to weasel my way out of the ticket? After all, I am Ryan Liden, NOT Ryan Ciden. Why should I pay a ticket for Ryan Ciden when that is not who I am?

I think that's the whole story, so let me know what you guys think, thanks.

Last edited by MegaHurtz; 10-04-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2004
Im the man in the box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
cant you throw tickets you get in the mail away cuz there is no proof that says you have been "served "
Old 10-04-2004
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
It's not a ticket that I got in the mail, I got the ticket in person and sent in a letter of dispute and they sent back the notice of hearing date which is what I got today.
Old 10-04-2004
Im the man in the box

Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
ah well i would definately look in the Ciden thing ..... lupols can be fun
Old 10-04-2004
SuperMod a.k.a ~AMG~

AdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond reputeAdmireMyGr8ness has a reputation beyond repute
Moved Legal Questions and the law
Old 10-04-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz
Okay so here's the deal:

On October 19, 2003 I got a ticket for doing an illegal U-turn. I was going somewhere, missed the turn and did a U-ey at the next light. It was a super wide road, no cars around and it was totally safe. Apparently not legal, but not a threat. The problem is half a block up the road there was a police roadblock checking for DUI's. I couldn't see it when I started the U-turn but to them it looked like I tried to avoid it so they chased me down and gave me a ticket.

Of course I am disputing it. I just got a letter in the mail today saying that my court date is Nov 23, which is a day I am in school for 12 hours, approx 1 hr. away from where the courthouse is. Question number 1 is can I change the date if I prove that I have school on that day and can not make it?

EDIT: "If you cannot appear on the date set for the hearing, you may apply for an adjournment. You or someone acting on your behalf (your agent) may apply to the Court location named above, preferably in person, but application may also be made in writing, by fax or by telephone and must be made at least fourteen (14) days before the hearing date shown on this notice. Only those applications that have a valid reason for adjournment will be granted."

Does this mean that I can change the court date or does it only mean that somebody can go for me but it has to be on the same date?

Secondly. My last name is Liden. On the notice I got in the mail, the last name is Ciden. Would I be able to use this as a way to weasel my way out of the ticket? After all, I am Ryan Liden, NOT Ryan Ciden. Why should I pay a ticket for Ryan Ciden when that is not who I am?

I think that's the whole story, so let me know what you guys think, thanks.
first off what did you get the ticket for? And second yes you can change the date, just go to the court house and tell them you want to change it.

Sorry just read what the ticket was for. Well my next question is where you made the u-turn was there a sign that said no U-turns?
Old 10-04-2004
Banned

It was for doing a u-turn

Also, this should be in the CANADA section of law & legal.

Is there normally a limit for the # of times that I can change my court date? I think the easiest thing to do would be to continually change my court date forever.
Old 10-04-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
did the section where you made the u-turn say NO U TURNS?

And no you can usually only change the date once or twice.
Old 10-05-2004
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
^the question to be asked is, did you cross a double line to make the u-turn or just make a k-turn? if you crossed a double line, they have every right to give you a ticket.
Old 10-05-2004
Registered!!

either you made a valid u-turn or you didnt, just like hondasales said, you deserve the ticket if you illegaly made a uturn.
Old 10-06-2004
Registered!!

SpeedTrap is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds to me like you made an illegal U-turn.

The whole thing with the DWI checkpoint sucks... looking back you would have been better to go through it. Not a whole lot you can do. You can change the court date 2 times (in the US) before you need substantial proof that you cannot attend (a note from school would probably classify as so).
Old 10-06-2004
Registered!!

jloos will become famous soon enoughjloos will become famous soon enough
I got out of a parking ticket once because they said I had a Nissan Truck, everything else was correct - ND plates, numbers were right etc...

I went in and showed my registration - a 95 CHEVY S10. I played dumb and said the ticket guy must have wrote down the wrong plate #. They dismissed it no questions asked.

I doubt the letter could get you off. If the ticket is in your name that will be good enough. Like they said above if you crossed the double lines you did the crime. What I would do is get the adjournment - they should reschedule if you have class. Show up on your new court date and pray the cop doesn't show up. Being it was a year ago you got the ticket he may not bother showing up - he may not be a traffic cop anymore. If the cop doesn't show up you walk. If he does show up - talk to the prosecutor, it will likely be a law student (depending on your city) about a plea bargain. Tell him the situation and you want to keep it off your insurance. Offer to pay a fine if he knocks it down to a non-moving violation - unless he/she is a real ***** they should do it for you, so long as your nice to them.
Old 10-06-2004
Registered!!

SpeedTrap is an unknown quantity at this point
Parking tickets are a little different because unless a picture is taken, there is really no way to prove it. You wouldn't believe how many people just pay parking tickets, not a whole lot of people contest them.
Old 11-14-2012
Banned

Re: 2 simple legal questions

test
Old 11-15-2012
Registered!!

Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2 simple legal questions

I've been waiting 8 yrs to find out how that ticket thing worked out.