Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

TWO parking tickets 4 SAME thing SAME day

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fine02civicgurl is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down TWO parking tickets 4 SAME thing SAME day

[ I am copying and pasting what i wrote in the 'legal' forum because no one responded. i hope its because no one reads stuff in that forum , and not because you all dont want to answer. lol.]

today at my school (college), i got a parking ticket, actually I got TWO, for the same thing... i will attach a pic of the situation, i drew it as best as i could... so let me explain what the drawing is...

ok the box w/the red star is my car, and the little sign that says "NO" is where the "no parking sign after --->" is in reality. the tickets states that i am "blocking road usage" or something, yet the no parking sign is positioned to where a car can legally park there. (and the dots i drew are really wood stakes in the ground) so each ticket is $15., and i will appeal it Friday, but I was just wondering what you guys thought. I'm not in the wrong. Had the sign been placed farther "up" then I would have been in the wrong... I will take real pics of the "crime scene " (haha) and bring them to the hearing on Friday... any suggestions of other "laws" that will help me?
and another thing. why did they give me two? one ticket was at 9:50 this morning, the other at 1:40 this afternoon. I am in class the entire time, so what am i expected to do? go and make sure my legally parked car does not have a ticket each hour? i didnt know there was a time limit on having to move ur car when u get a ticket.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	im000113.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	13717  

Last edited by fine02civicgurl; 11-10-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to all
no help here but i got a ticket the other night and i just don't intend on paying it, it's only $35 but whatever, i live in alberta and i have BC plates so it won't increase my insurance
Old 11-10-2003
All show!!!

EviLMyStS is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn that really sux...
Old 11-10-2003

Boiler_Room is on a distinguished road
I would not pay the ticket unless they don't let you register next semester....
Old 11-10-2003
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
You parked on that road leading up to Girard Park didn't you!!! Bahhh whats the name of that road...Girard Park Circle maybe???

Just do like me and park at Girard Park, as long as the park ranger doesn't see you get out the car with a backpack then its all good I haven't gotten caught yet

BTW i think you got a ticket(s) because you weren't all the way off the road. Those parking and transit guys look like little girlscouts in their uniforms handing out tickets and crap

BTW again, i still haven't seen you on campus. But I'll let you know if i see a black civic with euros getting towed.

why did they give me two? one ticket was at 9:50 this morning, the other at 1:40 this afternoon
Actually if they wanted to they could put a ticket on your car every hour i believe but they usually don't and on the third one you get towed D: its kinda gay but apparently they expect you to check up on your car every so often I guess.

Last edited by Got Boost???; 11-10-2003 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2003

Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
Boiler thats how they do things at UL, if you have any unpaid expenses then they put a hold on your account and you can't schedule and i think they won't give you your grades at the end of the semester.
Old 11-10-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

Got boost== this isnt UL police, this is the city police. the left side is UL's side, the right side is the city's side. I know they were in the wrong all the way because I was parked before the "no parking --->" sign. but why two tickets? i really dont understand that because i was not at a parking meter or anything. there is no time limit that your car can be parked on a city street.
Old 11-10-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

im gonna look like such an idiot snapping pictures of a road...
Old 11-10-2003
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
So all of the other cars were parked in parking SPOTS where the curb was one car width to the side of the road to allow cars to park and yet you were parked and blocked a lane of the road somewhat? maybe that's where your problem is.... I don't know it seems pretty obvious in the picture to me.
Old 11-10-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

pretty much yes. The road is a one way, and the road is PLENTY wide enough even w/my car somewhat in the road. I know normally, that would be wrong, because the parking is designed to be in the side part. BUT THEY PUT THE SIGN FARTHER BACK. and im sure that was a mistake on their part, but still, it's their mistake. They could easily pull up the sign and stick it closer to the other cars so that no one would attempt to park where i park. but the sign is far enough from the other cars to where another car can park, even though my car is "not in the line" of the others. do yall understand what im getting at? Put the no parking sign ----> in the right spot, not in a spot that allows another car to fit.
Old 11-10-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

im bored, so here it is on "paint" . its prolly no better

and its VERY small

Name:	park.bmp
Views:	97
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	13723  
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
does double jeopardy only work for crimes?
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

BlueRevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Dood, I think they are giving you the ticket because you are in the road, if you take it to court they will say something about thatyou have to be off the road to park. Your pictures to me seem like u left your car on the road when no one else is. Is there a yellow line that marks the edge of the road? If there is then i may think diferently
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

fordfocussucks should not be trusted
lol nice drawings.
Old 11-10-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
It's pretty obvious to me, that you parked in a road, and not parking spots. Regardless of where the sign is positioned, if there are parking spots clearly designated, and a no parking sign AFTER those spots, then you should only be parking in the spots, even though the sign leaves enough room for a car to fit behind it, that doesnt mean you can park there.
Old 11-11-2003

^^ exactly, they aren't ticketing you for parking before or after the sign, they are ticketing you for parking in the road and otherwise obstructing traffic and from your pic it seems you were in the road.

And i already explained the 2 ticket thing, your lucky you didn't get more or even towed. I guess you just got caught by some jackass cop.
Old 11-11-2003
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
$15 really isn't much. I got two tickets amounting to $52 before.... Oh yeah and click in my sig.
Old 11-11-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

Originally posted by Mystic3030
It's pretty obvious to me, that you parked in a road, and not parking spots. Regardless of where the sign is positioned, if there are parking spots clearly designated, and a no parking sign AFTER those spots, then you should only be parking in the spots, even though the sign leaves enough room for a car to fit behind it, that doesnt mean you can park there.
well then what does it mean? that when i see a no parking sign ---> that im supposed to observe the situation carefully and think of all the possiblilities of what this sign can mean? no, sorry, "no parking ---->" means exactly that, no parking past this sign. if they didnt want a car half way on the road, then they should have put the sign closer. thats the bottom line.
Old 11-11-2003
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Well common sense would dictate that if there are parking spots, and right after the spots there is a sign that says no parking and it's on the street, that would mean you can ONLY park in the spots. It would be one thing if there werent marked parking spots there, and everyone was parking on the road, but that is not the case here.
Old 11-11-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

there arent any marked parking spots. its just a bunch of rocks
Old 11-11-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

and also the reason for the no parking sign for being in the spot it is in, is maybe they measure the distance from the stop sign. and that just happens to be the right distance .could that be it? but either way, i was parked before the no parking sign. had it said ' no parking here to road" it would be different. but the sign clearly shows no parking past this sign. no matter if im on the road or not, i didnt park past the sign. like ive been saying, its not hard for the city to pick up the sign and move it up a few feet. then if i'd park there, i'd be in the wrong.
Old 11-11-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

ok this first pic is obviously from my car. The maroon altima parks in this spot also. It's like a "whoever gets here first gets the spot." Her car is bigger than mine, so hers passes the sign a little bit. Mine never does, and if i pull in the spot, and it does pass the sign, I do not park there. See the truck in the pic? Had the truck backed all the way up to the wooden stakes, then no one would be able to park in the spot (which sometimes happens). But on the day that I parked there, the vehicle was even farther up than this truck was, so I had plenty of room to park.

Name:	im000114.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	13751  

Last edited by fine02civicgurl; 11-11-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

The second pic- the second pic shows where the sign is placed, as to where the car is. (the picture makes it seem as if the altima is way passed the sign, but it was only a few inches.. not that it matters.) Where the sign is positioned clearly leaves enough room for a vehicle to park.

Name:	im000123.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	13752  
Old 11-11-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

The third pic just shows the no parking sign. its kind of "moldy" but the sign shows "no parking --->"

Name:	im000124.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	13753  
Old 11-11-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

here is a pic showing the placement of the sign as to where the car is parked. the sign SHOULD be placed by that wooden stake (the one that sticks out toward the back a lil). This also shows that a car has plenty of room to park there (this car could have went up a little more). and i'll say again, my civic never even passes the sign an inch. (that's not the issue anyway, but i just figured i'd throw it in) Look at how much space between that last stake behind that last vehicle and where the sign is placed... and by the way, the reason some pics show a camry before the altima and some show a truck, is because as i was snapping the pics, the truck left and the camry pulled in (i'm sure you all figured that out on your own...)

Name:	im000125.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	13754  

Last edited by fine02civicgurl; 11-11-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

this last pic is what it looks like when you turn onto the road (its a one way) Yes the car is half way in the road, but not blocking traffic in the least. And this altima is also wider than my civic. And i dont know if you can tell, but she is not illegally parked. (also, as i said before, it may look like she is way past the sign, but she's not).

Name:	im000126.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	13755  
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

BlueRevs is an unknown quantity at this point
ya i think you got the ticket because you are too far out on the road, I would appeal it just to find out exactly why they gave you the ticket
Old 11-11-2003

i bet the altima got a ticket also, there is clearly a little section made for people to park, if theres no room no park, then don't try to park there.

Again, i don't know why you keep mentioning the placement of the sign cause you weren't ticketed for being before or after the sign.
Old 11-11-2003
*BoY*CaR* *GiRL*DRivER*

the altima didnt get a ticket. at least not by 1 oclock. the reason i keep mentioning the sign is because the point of a no parking sign is to show you where and where not to park. if they didnt want anyone parking right there, then they should have placed the sign in a place where it was not the perfect amount of room for a car to park. im not an idiot, i know a car is not supposed to be on the road. i wont park past a no parking sign, but im not gonna not park BEFORE a no parking sign just because the city made a error. they should be the ones responsible it, not me. they need to be more careful w/their signs. if they would have in the first place, i wouldnt be having this problem. lease:
Old 11-12-2003
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
you got cited for impeeding the flow of traffic not, for the spot where you parked, you were blocking the flow of traffic. As far as your 2 citations they can cite you 3 time and then tow your car away in less the 24 hours. your lucky your car was not towed. i would have towed it on the second ticket.

Injen

Quick Reply: TWO parking tickets 4 SAME thing SAME day