I need help! Civic bogging?

Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluesmoke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i just bought my 97 civic a couple days ago and it started to almost bog or stutter i guess you could say when accelerating. So im in first get up to about 15-20KM and it feels like its losing power drop it into 2nd goes fine till about 25-30KM starts doing it again? i changed the plugs and fuel filter and it ran fine for a day or 2 then this morning started to do it again? could low oil be the cause of this or am i looking at a totally different issue?! im located in Kelowna BC if anyone is local civic wiz and could help me diagnose this issue id be stoked as im a student and cant afford so many shop bills! car is a 97 civic CX with 275,000 km 5 speed.
Old 10-27-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I need help! Civic bogging?

I dunno, is the oil low? Is the air filter clean?
Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
I dunno, is the oil low? Is the air filter clean?
im gunna put some more oil in her and see what happens would driving it cold make it do that? not sure where air filter is? didnt come with owners manual..... not having fun with my new purchase
Old 10-27-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

What does the dipstick look like when you check it?! You have to wipe it down first, stick it in the hole again and then check the oil level. The air filter should be inside a big box near the center of the engine, toward the back. It should have clips or screws holding it together. If you don't know, have someone who is decent with cars show you!
Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
What does the dipstick look like when you check it?! You have to wipe it down first, stick it in the hole again and then check the oil level. The air filter should be inside a big box near the center of the engine, toward the back. It should have clips or screws holding it together. If you don't know, have someone who is decent with cars show you!
yea dipstick shows its low old owner said he had just done an oil change so im a little unsure about current situation.. but should i be checking oil when motor is hot or cold? does it matter?
Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

anyone have any other ideas what could be wrong? air filter looks clean? gunna start with dumping maby another quart into the motor.
Old 10-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

yea dipstick shows its low old owner said he had just done an oil change so im a little unsure about current situation.. but should i be checking oil when motor is hot or cold? does it matter?
You got no owners manual with the car? Check Hondas website, maybe you can download it there.

Don't overfill the oil. Only add when the dipstick shows it to be low. Don't go beyond the full mark.

Hi i just bought my 97 civic a couple days ago and it started to almost bog or stutter i guess you could say when accelerating.
You bought it with this problem?

Check engine light is on, what codes does it have stored?
Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

My 97 civic when accelererating and if driving at a constant speed it will just bog out then jerk n go again repeating that having to constatnly switch gears as its a 5 speed. just redid the plugs and fuel filter has oil if anyone has any idea what it could be please help me out!!!!
Old 10-27-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You got no owners manual with the car? Check Hondas website, maybe you can download it there.

Don't overfill the oil. Only add when the dipstick shows it to be low. Don't go beyond the full mark.

You bought it with this problem?

Check engine light is on, what codes does it have stored?
worked fine when i bought it a couple days ago guy gave me a new thermostat with it would that cause the issue ? the motor does not overheat. the check engine light is NOT on either? there is an SRS light on whatever that means? havnt got to get it hooked up to a computer yet.

thx pls lemme no if you can help
Old 10-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does the check engine light come on when you first turn the key on? It should at least light up before you start the engine. Or is the bulb burned out?

Check for fault codes, regardless.

There could be many different possible causes for the symptoms you described. Not all will set fault codes.

SRS is for airbags, that's the warning light. It's got a fault. Need to read the codes there too.