A leaky trunk?!?!??!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
major_mal is an unknown quantity at this point
A leaky trunk?!?!??!

hey guys, i have a 2004 honda civic coupe. and the other day i found 3 inches of water in my spare tire well.. just wanted to know if anyone else has this delemma. you should tend to it as fast as possible.
lemmie know if others have the problem.
thx
Old 11-05-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
no problems here, I have the exact same car. I am concerned about the same thing myself, especially since most of the work I do to my car is in the trunk, and I've never had an issue. Still got warranty?
Old 11-05-2005
Registered!!

oh yeah..im just makin sure everyone else is checking thiers so nobodys get too badly rusted.
Old 11-05-2005
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
try to trace where the water is coming from. Water leak can be a pain in the a** issues. or just bring it back for warranty asap
Old 11-07-2005

bamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of light
damn i gotta check on that
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

alex963333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey I got the same problem as u !! also my is 04 civic coupe too!!! i going to bring back honda shop for check..make sure no rust!!
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
i had an old accord that did that it is a seal issue.
Old 12-05-2005
Registered!!

jdm_veloz is an unknown quantity at this point
lol i got 2002 civic coupe, wen it rains n my carz out, it sinks half of my spare
Old 01-03-2006
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
2001 civic sedan, i dont wanna be cleaning my trunk every time i got out, so help me out!
Old 01-03-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
make sure the seals are okay. if you can, put down the seats and sit in the back to see where the water comes from
Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

Still Leaks!?!?!?!?

Yeah, ive taken my civic to pacific honda THREE times!!! and still it leaks.....im super choked!!!...
Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

go to happy honda man, #1 all da time
Old 01-17-2006
. . . The Master Debater . . .

amhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura about
im from so cal and my trunk also takes in water. I tried to find where it comes from but can't figure it out. no carpet wet or n e thing....i got tired of it so i drilled a small hole near the trunk latch so all the water can drain...and it did the trick...pretty sure water still gets in but no more water n e more when i check after every rain period.

02 coupe
Old 01-17-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i found mine leaking through the molding and put tons of silicone around it. hopefully that does the trick cause i'm tired of having wet trunk carpet.
Old 01-19-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
heres something to check. my trunk started leaking recently for no reason, out of nowhere. i hadnt been in an accident, my weatherstripping around the trunk looked perfect, i had no idea what could cause it. so i lower the trunk latch to try and create a tighter seal. no luck, the trunk still flooded. so i went exploring, and found this. its the trunk air vent. the picture is of my new air vent, i threw away the old one. bascially, theres 4 clips that hold it in place. on my old one, the top two clips were broken and it did not seal properly. it had sand all over it, and the area around it was wet so im betting this is what caused it for me, the guys at honda agreed when i showed them my old one that i was replacing. its right next to the fuel door, and is very easy to replace. push it out towards the outside of the car, push it down and it will fall below onto the ground. push the other one up the same way it went down, and youre set. oh yeah, i have an '03 ex coupe.
'
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	15668
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	63833  

Last edited by ctx66; 01-19-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2006
Premium Member

ill check that out
Old 01-25-2006
Registered!!

Bb0iPn0y is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem too. But I don't think the trunk air vent is the only place it's coming from for me. The water is also coming from the seals like right above my wheel well on the left side of the trunk. so it just trickles in, but that trickle turns into a puddle in my trunk after a heavy down pour. I'm thinking the space that the water comes through may have gotten bigger over sometime because of the sometime freezing temperatures here in washington state. so, I'm either going to getting sealant or caulk and do it myself or go into honda. What to do you all reccommend I do?
Old 01-25-2006
Premium Member

use clear rtv silicone just remember it takes 24 hrs to fully cure so do it when its not raining.
Old 01-25-2006
Registered!!

can i get that at a hardware store?
Old 01-25-2006
Premium Member

i got it at auto parts store but yea hardware has it too.
Old 02-19-2006
Registered!!

you guys trunk still leaking?

the leak is from the body seam
Old 02-19-2006
Registered!!

is leaking from the rear strut tower seam. and the inside too
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

mine was leaking from the seal on the back window from the inside near on of the defroster plugs. it melted the rubber or something. and just sealed back up. just like new. just with a bunch of clear sealant there. lol
Old 06-26-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
I had the same problem but it came from the alarm installer using a drill bit too big for the trunk diode and it got in around the diode itself. They replaced the diode and it's been fine ever since.
Old 07-06-2006
Registered!!

leakin trunk..

i was at work and decided to get in the trunk with a flash light and have a co-worker run a hose on the sides/top/and bottom of the car..
it was coming from the tail light pins(particularly the front one's)
you have to take off the side carpet and look...
but running the hose on the side of the tail light and looking inside.
you can see the water trickling in, plus if you touch it or move the pin it wil pour in. so find it and caulk the hell out of it.
but me... i got tired of the honda and trade in my lease 2.5 years early with no fee, for a 2006 VW jetta 2.0 T FSI.
ajnd holy crap...its super fast..
plus, its built like a tank.
hope my advise helps out....
later
major mal
Old 10-30-2006
Registered!!

sean4389 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same issue... 02 civic coupe... im gonna check all of those things. thanks for the help..
Old 10-30-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.geocities.com/pfeifferper...maBodySeam.pdf

These TSBs are provided by another member here.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

djpartykid is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A leaky trunk?!?!??!

i have the same problem i am here in vancouver too.
check the gas cap wire water sometimes water can get in from there. if it's not the wire, check the drain plug, some ppl told me every car has a drain plug in the trunk area but i still haven't found it.
Old 05-31-2007
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough

i have found that if the trunk is full of stuff, and something pushes upwards on the trunk arms, the trunk wont seal properly....
Old 06-12-2015
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

I'm starting to get water in my trunk. I found this Honda Service Bulletin which might come in handy if anyone else is having this issue. It looks like its leaking from the drivers side rear.
Attached Files

Quick Reply: A leaky trunk?!?!??!