Ming Shine?

Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
qfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Ming Shine?

Is $450 for Ming Shine and undercoating a good price? Most people I talk to say it's worthwhile to get the paint protection.
Old 01-26-2005
Bushido

MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
I think undercoating is a ripp off. Because if you look under your civic, most of the parts underneath are made of super durable plastic. Except for screws, bolts, endlinks, swaybars, etc.." Even the gas tank is plastic so what is there to rust? They cannot coat the exaust manifold or the area around the engine. Besides Undercoating is a lay mans term for Road Noise Cancellation material. That Road Noise cancellation material has already been applied at the factory.

Paint protection is just a coat that makes your car look like it is waxed all the time, it is only effective if you wash your car regularly.

fyi rustproofing is also a waste of money, the car already has a 5 year rust warrenty on there to begin with.

Besides if Honda felt it was nesscessary to add more rustproofing or undercoating at the factory, wouldn't you think they would have done so already? Honda engineers know what they are doing. All these add ons are nothing but money for the dealership.
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
yeah take a look underneath, not much to rust at all.
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
He didn't say the dealer was doing it and Ming is a pretty reputable local shop. The engineers at Honda do do their research when it comes to paint, but they may not have explicitly taken into account that the car will be driving through salty snow for half the year and having rocks flung at it.

My personal view is save the money from the Ming package, have your car 3M-ed because theres a much higher chance that a chip caused by a rock will begin to rust long before anything else. Barring that, regular application of wax should keep your paint looking nice, if you're too lazy to proper wax it you could just go out and get a bottle of NXT for a quick waxing.
Old 01-26-2005
Bushido

I think if they were designing a paint application for the Canadian market, they would have considered the salt and rocks. Other wise the paint would be gone by now, I have owned my car for 3 years including driven through winters and the paint is fine. I have the 3M rock guard on the hood, side mirrors, foglights, front bumper and front lip. So far no rock chips are visible.

You do have a good point save the money on the Ming shine package, and get the 3M rockguard. Transform Spoilers does the application and they do a damn good job.

If you wash and wax your car regularly in the summer then you would have a perfect shine everytime. As for winter wash the car once a week and you would not have to worry about your paint problems and rust.
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

OK, so the undercoating is out, but I would still like to have the paint job sealed. I have already noticed the finishing is streaking with minor scratches that is visible if you check the finish from an angle. I guess it will bound to happen to every car eventually, but I was told by some friends that Ming shine really worked on locking the paint finish for a few years, they give a 7 year warranty on it.
Old 01-26-2005
Bushido

What color is your car? If it is black it is a pain in the *** to keep clean, you will notice even the slightest scratch, blemish, dust speck etc... I have a black car and it is hard. Silver or any light color is alot easier. Even if you go for the paint sealant you should still get the 3M rock guard for your hood, bumper and even mirrors, just because no matter how good the sealant a rock hitting you while you are going 60+kph will do some damage.
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

Yup, mine is black.

You are right, the rock protection is more important. There is no point in getting the Ming treatment and the 3M Stoneguard. Any idea how much the Stoneguard cost and recommendation for good installer?
Old 01-26-2005
Bushido

Talk to Van or Will @ Transform Spoilers 443-6222.

They did my 3M application and did an excellent job. If you get it done there you will not be dissapointed.
Old 01-31-2005
Creative Mind Extraodinare

Graphicdude will become famous soon enoughGraphicdude will become famous soon enough
how much do they charge for the 3m ****?