Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

For those with EX Head Crower Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: For those with EX Head Crower Stage 2

Hook a wideband to it.
Old 03-22-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tougEMII has a spectacular aura abouttougEMII has a spectacular aura about

101 octane here in socal is 6.00...=D if i was running 12:1 id tune that mug for 91....im not baller status to spend 6 bucks on a gallon everyday lol
Old 03-22-2007
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

OH and not to mention there is something called E85 now a day.. only uses 40% more fuel consumption to make the power, but has more octane.. so in theory he could run a 14:1:1 compression on his motor in cali! LOL
Old 03-22-2007
Registered!!

Hondata1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Well I'm gonna let the Hondata guy clarify what he told me...

Ok,

If you have a Civic with narrowband O2 sensor and also have a wideband you want to use and datalog from, you can connect the 0-5 V wideband output to the ELD input (electrical load detector).

If, in addition your wideband is one of the few that outputs a narrowband compatible signal as well, you can connect it to the 02 input and run it in closed loop and pass tailpipe emissions (if tuned correctly). I believe PLX devices sell such a unit for about $200 with sensor.
Old 03-22-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Been on the phone all afternoon about the Kpro... this is pretty representative of the numbers I've been getting
K pro - $1175
Install (3 hrs) 250
Dyno (2 hrs) 350
Map sensor for more than 10 psi... $80-140
Find ECU - variable....

So figure its about $2000 for it.
Old 03-22-2007

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Been on the phone all afternoon about the Kpro... this is pretty representative of the numbers I've been getting
K pro - $1175
Install (3 hrs) 250
Dyno (2 hrs) 350
Map sensor for more than 10 psi... $80-140
Find ECU - variable....

So figure its about $2000 for it.
- install... DYI it aint that hard save the money...
-Dyno can vary depending on who tunes it but you will be paying for it either way Ie Emanager, K-pro, AEM EMS
-ECUs arent that hard to find, especially the base modle RSX or SI. can be picked up for about 130
Old 03-22-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

I'm aware that it isnt rocket science to install, however rather tha fudging the numbers to make it seem cheap, I posted everything I gathered this afternoon so as to make it complete. some people will opt for professional install, so they may want to be aware that shops deem it a multi hour pain in the ***, its not plug and play, you need to do some rewiring and install the cam gear. Its pretty easy to delete lines off the price... just ignore them, whereas if I said it was cheap, and then the install comes as a surprise, the price bump hits people like a ton of bricks.
Old 03-22-2007
Registered!!

Hondata1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dyno results:

This car (D17 VTEC) was delivered to us with a stock ECU and VAFC. It would not idle and would stall constantly.

It was equipped with:

- Crower Stage 2 cams
- Headers
- Intake
- Test pipe
- Cat back

After tuning the car idled much better and hasn't stalled yet (in several days of driving). Everything worked - gauges, aircon, immobilizer, closed loop etc.

The ECU was matched with the imobilizer system for theft prevention. In addition the latest release of K-Manager http://hondata.net/updates/index.php...ction=download has the option of programming your ECU with your VIN number. The stock Civic ECU does not have the VIN number stored in the ECU. In case of theft the VIN number can be read from the ECU with a standard scan tool to help identify your car.

Power gains were slight (over that of a VAFC). Most of the gains came from ignition tuning. This calibration is freely available and incorporated in the latest version of K-Manager. It should save you some tuning time & money.

On this dyno a Stock D17 vtec makes 114 tq and 120 HP and a stock EP3 Civic makes 135 tq & 150 HP.

Last edited by Hondata1; 03-23-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2007
Registered!!

so wait the crower stage 2 d17got 120hp 114 tq? or are u saying a stock stock d17 hit 120 114?
Old 03-22-2007
Registered!!

4*banger is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow now that is awesome. Everyone rags on the D17 for being a crap engine but i don't see anyone complaining with 147hp and 126lbs ft. of torque. That is a B16's worst nightmare right there
Old 03-22-2007

Church automotive + Hondata FTW!!!
Old 03-23-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all

awesome just as i thought 150whp with proper tuning and stage 2 cam. i have been saying this for a few years that i thought that was a good number for a fully tuned d17 with stage 2 cam. i am glad to see its a reality
Old 03-23-2007
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice

Well most of you figuered out that this is my car. Now you have to remember that this is a dyna pack dyno it reads power at the hubs, this tends to read a bit higher than your typical dynojet, but the power gains are what they are. The gains or only half of the story here. It drives soo much better than before the tuning, I have regained all of the drivability that I lost after installing the cam. There is a significant gain in tq under 4k It makes rolling on the throttle in 5th on the hwy a non downshift affair. Idle is set around 950 rpm to keep it going, this also evens out some of the lopey idle sound... its still there just not as obvious to the cop sitting next to you at the light. The kpro was installed cleanly (very important to me) in the stock ecu location using the civic ecu case. Doug was kind enough to set me up with a fuel economy tune on the hwy, this sets afr at around 16 ish when cruising. The stock ecu sets it at 14.7 to keep the cat fired up when cruising. This is only possible without a cat. This should save a me a few bucks at the pump. I am sure that this ecu should knock a good chunk of time off my all motor quater mile not only with the power but the raised rev limit. . I think i'll let my swap collect some more dust and play with the d17 for the rest of the race season.
Old 03-23-2007

Yeah true... but from what i have read a dyna pack dyno is a lot better for tunning cam angles than a dynojet.
Old 03-23-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Oscar, you really got me thinking hard. Sucks I live all the way in NJ though. I'll PM hondata to see what they can do for me.
Old 03-23-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TransformedBG
Yeah true... but from what i have read a dyna pack dyno is a lot better for tunning cam angles than a dynojet.
Its because a dynapack is load bearing, dynojets are not. It actually measures torque instead of calculating it, much better system for tuning.
Old 03-23-2007
Registered!!

so whats ur redline at right now? dj mota..and are u going to the track anytime soon?
Old 03-23-2007

Originally Posted by andyman97
Its because a dynapack is load bearing, dynojets are not. It actually measures torque instead of calculating it, much better system for tuning.
Yeah i knew that just couldn't think of the reason.
Old 03-26-2007
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice

Originally Posted by tougEMII
so whats ur redline at right now? dj mota..and are u going to the track anytime soon?
Its at 7400 right now. the next race is going to be at palmdale next weekend. IDRC. I think its the last import race event there before that track goes bye bye. The last time I ran there my best was 15.7
Old 03-26-2007
Registered!!

oh yeah i heard about that....if anything ill see if i can make it...i dont wanna spend 20 bucks or so on spectating..but if ur gonna be there and if i cna get some homies to roll i ll prolly go...if i go ill videotape ur **** =D