Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

D17a2 rebuild

Old 03-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greasiefrankie is an unknown quantity at this point
D17a2 rebuild

So I'm planning to rebuild my engine in my 01 ex. Been reading around saw the only thing to do without busting your bank account is to throw in a can. Sloan exhaust and intake on. Which is fine with me. At first was gonna do a swap but rather put that kind of money into my truck. Just looking for a pepy DD to have fun with. I'm in MD. So here's the questions.

1) Does anyone know a reputable machine shop in the area for Honda's?

I would like to do the internal work but don't really have the Knowledge or time.

2) the car has 180k on it should I get new internals and if I do should I bore and sleeve the cylinders or is that going to far?

3)what is a ball park on the machine shop rebuilding the motor?

4)should I stick with the same trans or is there a better trans to pair with the motor without to much fab. Work involved?

5) pros/cons of a short shifter?

6) Wanting to rebuild motor shave and paint engine bay while the drive train is out any hints or tips on that?

After I get all this done gonna start working on suspension ECT. Trying to make an awesome looking DD.
Old 03-03-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17a2 rebuild

I'll answer what I can.

1) Sorry, I'm on the other side of the country.

2) internals should be fine. Maybe piston rings, if anything to replace. If you go that far, I'd just have the cylinders honed.

3) Can't tell you a ball park on a rebuild, but ballpark for a head gasket is ~$1500. Add in extra labor for parts and assembly of the rebuild.

4) I've not heard of any other transmissions fitting a D17 other than the MT or AT that comes with the D17

5) Pro: shorter throw, prolly shorter height depending on what route you take. Cons.. can't think of any. Heard SS adapters are.. alright. If you manage to find a Revo Technica short shift assembly, that'd be optimal. I'd find some aluminum shifter assembly bushings to make it feel less mushy of a shift

6) All that is preference of how you want it shaved and painted. Tucking wires is a long and arduous process, but if done right, looks clean af. I've only done my throttle cables, kinda routed them behind the intake against the firewall. Noticed no negative impact.

Definitely stick around these forums. There is a metric crap ton of info about the 7thgen civics since this forum started off dedicated solely to the EM2/ES1/EP3 civics. I've been around for far too long, so I have a good amount of knowledge. Ezone, one of our mods is a Honda Tech, and he has a crapton of knowledge, too. He may be a little rough around the edges, but he's good people.
Old 03-03-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Replace the Header when you use an upgraded camshaft (as well as larger pipes, 2.25). There is an old myth on the net that this car flows the same with the stock head because the port size on the head matches the port size on the header. This is wrong, I ran a stock header for years because I believed this. whem I swapped to a highflow head (for looks) I gaind a noticable amount of torque/hp and fuel economy.

2) You do not need to pull the head for the timing belt (only the valve cover). So you could save cost by Just doing the timing belt. But the head gasket will fail at some point so if you plan on keeping the car for quite some time it would be a good Idea to replace the headgasket/rebuild.

All prices are aftermarket parts not OEM Honda and do not include labor.

-Head gasket $100-200
-hone block (might be free depending on shop)
-valve seals $50-$100
-piston rings $100

3) If you have the head off that is basically the time you will be charged for labor. the pistons can drop out the bottom of the block with the engine in the car.

but

If you want them to replace the crankshaft main bearings then they'd have to drop the transmission.

I'd just have them replace the piston rod bearings if anything.

rod bearings $25

4) The transmissions are pretty great but if you want fun Drop in
Light weight flywheel when you do the clutch
flywheel/clutch/pressure plate $300 and up depending on level... just go "stage 1" unless you're building for power.

also replace the shift linkage bushings/shift base bushings with aluminum bushings, this will add a nice solid, fresh shifting experience (the rsx and rsx-s bushings fit), $50

5) switch the bushings first on the linkage/shifter base. You'll love it.

6)again you don't need the engine out unless you want the crank bushings replaced and this would cost far more than it's probably worth.

As far as suspension goes

-Coils are first priority to drop body roll (you'll need adjustable rear camber arms, don't worry about front)
-a rear sway bar is your next move (should almost completely remove body roll)

Do not upgrade the front bar. you never do this for FWD, for proper handling you want the rear suspension to load up tight and the front to roll a tiny bit so the tires maintain traction while turning.

-and lastly upgrade the front strut bar, this will greatly improve side to side handling by adding frame rigidity across the front struts. But you only feel this when turning rapidly from side to side. Pretty much autocross, you won't need it for driving on the backroads.

Don't bother with the rear strut bar, it's just extra weight. These cars have a very thick connection already across the rear struts.
Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

Thank you. I'm not really worried with the cost of disassembly I'm pulling everything out on my own. I'm confident with my self on that. Still deciding if I'm gonna hate the motor down or wether I should just send it somewhere. Just cant decide which would be more time consuming. Me learning while doing it or send it somewhere and work on something else while it's a the shop. Beginning to think I should just flip a coin lol.
Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

Honestly feel confident with doing the block and cylinders its more or less the valves and such that I'm weary about. But should prolly just suck it up and learn and do it my self.
Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

look into dipping your car from dipyourcar.com.
i spent 450 bucks and did it myself.
it's a hellofalot cheaper than a paint job...of course i'm a cheap azz.

Also, save money on side skirts and make your own https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...de-skirts.html
Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

Didn't even think of that but gonna need some body work I'm gonna do that as well. Used to paint cars for a couple years before I got into turning wrenches. I know someone with a gparage that I can prolly paint it in.
One more question well two more

1)haven't really seen a thread about sights that are good for trying to bundle everything together. Is that possible or do I just need to get stuff from different places? I have most of the motor parts found for the motor.
Also saw a thread with some one doing the y8 intake swap but used a Tl throttle body was that for a reason or just personal preference?

2) is there a certain gasket brand to get that is better than others?
Old 03-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

He may be a little rough around the edges
Tomorrow is Saturday, you know what that means?!!?!?!
BATH NIGHT!

Search this Thread