Engine Management Post information/questions about Engine Management here! It's especially important for Forced Induction (Turbo and SuperCharging) and Engine swaps! What destroys engines are fuel management!

Apexi Air Controller

Old 07-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catch_KC is an unknown quantity at this point
Apexi Air Controller

Hello all, first time post here. I just bought a 2001 Civic EX sedan from the auction and it has an Apexi brand air controller in the console... obviously the previous owner installed it and I have no idea what the hell this thing does or if I even need it, so I figured I'd ask the Honda gurus. Ultimately, I'd like to get rid of it if possible. I'll snap a picture of it if that would be helpful.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Apexi Air Controller

I'm not sure why someone would leave a $500 part in a car which didn't require it to run.

Was i t a police auction and it was repo'd?

Are there any other aftermarket parts that you can see?
Old 07-12-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
I'm not sure why someone would leave a $500 part in a car which didn't require it to run.

Was i t a police auction and it was repo'd?

Are there any other aftermarket parts that you can see?
My brother is a car salesman who sometimes buys/sells cars at auctions. He bought the car from the auctuon, I bought from him.

Anyway, it does have DC headers and an AEM intake, but that's as far as I can tell for aftermarket engine parts. I really need to know if I actually need this thing or not since it's already been installed for who knows how long. Honestly, I want it gone as it sits right in front of the cup holder and whatever drink I set there pushes buttons on the damn thing.

It's not like the car is fast or anything, so I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes by having it... I just dont want to unplug it and have the car no longer run.

Hopefully this helps... I'll take pictures of it and post it tonight. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-12-2016
Registered!!

This is it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160712_152038.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	4.30 MB
ID:	88931   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160712_152051.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	4.20 MB
ID:	88932  
Old 07-19-2016
Registered!!

Bump....

If I don't need this air controller (ie. Engine runs fine without it), and someone is able to tell me how to disconnect it without issue... then I'll give it to you... free of charge. I'll even pay for shipping.

S.O.S.
Old 07-19-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Have you tried following any of the wires to see where they go?
Maybe the guy only hooked up power to it and didn't run any of the wires?
Old 07-27-2016
Registered!!

It is definitely connected to the ECU somehow, as it monitors engine RPMs and throttle position.

Do these controllers require an ECU tune to operate? And if so, would there be any issues if removed, or would I have to go back to factory tuning? Any help or first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-06-2016
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

It looks like it connects to your ECU harness. Check behind the apexi controller and see if you can disconnect the data cable from there. Turn the car on and see if it will run. If it runs, take it for a test drive and make sure everything is ok.

You or a shop will have to check the wire harness next to the ecu and see where they tap into the harness wires. Good luck, hope this help.

Specs
Apexi's NEW Digital Fuel and Vtec Controller
Works for most all Honda and Acura Vtec models
This unit allows the Vtec engagement point to be changed anywhere from 2000 RPM to 8000 rpm
Fuel is adjustable at 8 different rpm points for the High Vtec cam and 8 for the low cam
Fuel can also compensate for the adjustable Low throttle input and high throttle input
Fuel enrichment is adjustable +/-50%
Fuel is adjustable from 1000 RPM to 8000 RPM in 500 RPM increments
This unit is packed full of useful Tuning and Monitoring features

Features Digital meters/gauges
Intake Air Flow/Pressure, RPM, and Throttle position can be monitored
Values are displayed in Numberical values, Line graphs, or Anolog meter displays

Features a high visiblility VFD(Vacuum Florescent) display
http://www.eraceparts.com/itema2ee.html

Wiring diagram
http://www.apexi-usa.com/manuals/ele...fc2_wiring.pdf
Old 08-12-2016
Registered!!

Hey nsrhonda89, thanks for the reply. The wire bundle comes directly out of the bottom right corner of the controller and goes back behind the dashboard. There isn't a connector to disconnect from the controller.

I haven't followed the wire bundle into the engine bay yet, but I could only assume that the wires are spliced directly into the ecu harness. This makes a simple disconnect not so simple.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. If you're able to help me get this figured out, then I'll send you the controller for your efforts for free (if you even want it).

Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2016
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

You need to remove the two tab for your glove box and then you will have access to the ECU. Then look at ecu harness to see where the tap into the wires.

The wiring diagram should look something like the diagram below.
If you kill power to the controller, you will disable your vtec. You have to see where the previous owner cut these three wires and joint them back.

Then you can remove the other eight connect to the ecu harness. Make sure to disconnect your battery when working with the ecu.
Old 11-27-2016
Registered!!

Ok guys, sorry it's been so long and I really appreciate your help with this.

So I removed the Apexi controller and now I'm throwing a P0108 code. The car idles like **** and won't rev above 3k RPMs. After doing some research, I shot for voltage at the MAP sensor connector and got 13 volts on the MIDDLE pin. I haven't found anything for the 7th gen Civic specifically, but the middle pin on the 6th gen civics is the ground. I'm getting no voltage on pins 1 or 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And as promised to the guys who have helped me with this controller thing (nsrhonda89), if you want it then it's yours. I'll pay for shipping.

Last edited by Catch_KC; 11-27-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2016
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

I think the ability to control when your VTEC engages (Apexi air controller) is a pretty nice thing to have especially in our low horse powered cars. But what's done is done. I would think it will cost you a nice chunk of change to fix this. I don't even know who and how they would fix this.
Old 12-06-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SammySC
I think the ability to control when your VTEC engages (Apexi air controller) is a pretty nice thing to have especially in our low horse powered cars. But what's done is done. I would think it will cost you a nice chunk of change to fix this. I don't even know who and how they would fix this.
I think the ability to control the vtec would be great for someone who is into that type of thing... but that's not really me. I bought this car as a commuter car so that I don't have to drive my Jeep so much at 12 MPG.... not so much for a racing rod. Really the controller was in my way more than anything.

On the plus side, there is a tuner shop here in Las Vegas called FN Werkz. Pretty nice guys and they got my MAP issue and wiring all sorted out for only $150. The car runs great now and it's actually quicker now than it was before.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for their help. Still waiting for nsrhonda89 to let me know if he wants this controller.
Old 12-06-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Catch_KC
I think the ability to control the vtec would be great for someone who is into that type of thing... but that's not really me. I bought this car as a commuter car so that I don't have to drive my Jeep so much at 12 MPG.... not so much for a racing rod. Really the controller was in my way more than anything.

On the plus side, there is a tuner shop here in Las Vegas called FN Werkz. Pretty nice guys and they got my MAP issue and wiring all sorted out for only $150. The car runs great now and it's actually quicker now than it was before.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for their help. Still waiting for nsrhonda89 to let me know if he wants this controller.

I'm very happy you got it all sorted out. I didn't mean any disrespect or criticism I honestly didn't know how to advice you. But I'm glad you got it fixed. So it was a MAP issue then good to know. You should be able to get at least 29mpg or more out of it now for sure. Glad it worked out
Old 12-07-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SammySC
I'm very happy you got it all sorted out. I didn't mean any disrespect or criticism I honestly didn't know how to advice you. But I'm glad you got it fixed. So it was a MAP issue then good to know. You should be able to get at least 29mpg or more out of it now for sure. Glad it worked out

I didn't find anything you said disrespectful or criticising at all, so no harm done. I'm just glad that controller is gone. It's nice to use my cup holder now without worrying about my big gulp pushing buttons on the stupid thing anymore.

As for the MAP issue, the sensor was fine but the ECU wiring was a disaster. I guess the previous owner did some pretty shady stuff.... and removing the controller opened that can of worms. But it's all good now and I'm looking forward to getting decent MPG again for sure.
Old 12-07-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Catch_KC
I didn't find anything you said disrespectful or criticising at all, so no harm done. I'm just glad that controller is gone. It's nice to use my cup holder now without worrying about my big gulp pushing buttons on the stupid thing anymore.

As for the MAP issue, the sensor was fine but the ECU wiring was a disaster. I guess the previous owner did some pretty shady stuff.... and removing the controller opened that can of worms. But it's all good now and I'm looking forward to getting decent MPG again for sure.
Wow sounds like it was a mess. Glad you got it worked out man, enjoy your car sounds like it is fun to drive. I have a dc sports 4-1 header and short ram intake like you do in your car.