Turbo Post information/questions about Turbo here!

D17 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dennon21 is an unknown quantity at this point
D17 build

Hey guys new here, I've read a lot of stuff online about this and searched but didn't find the answers I needed. So I have an 03 dx. Currently has xenon body kit, aem cold air dc header and vibrant axle back.. No real upgrades. I want to build the engine for boost but had some questions. Would upgrading the rods, rings Pistons, bearings head gasket and studs be good enough to boost? Or do I have to do valve springs cam and everything else? I'm gettin an eBay kit and the turbo rebuilt. Also to replace the rods and Pistons can I simply remove the head and oil pan and unscrew them through the oil pan and pull them through the block? I'm also upgrading the intake manifold and injectors and going to run the k pro engine management setup. Also do I have to get the head resurfaced? And can I just get the stock spec of Pistons or do I need to get low compression? Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 02-05-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17 build

You don't need to upgrade the cam, but if you decide to go high boost, you won't be able to utilize the turbo's full potential. However, you'd need a d17a2 head swap. I don't believe there are any cams for the -a1.

Upgrade your fuel pump. You didn't mention that anywhere. You may want to do a return style fuel system conversion

You could remove the pistons that way

Compression on the D17A1 is 9.5:1. You should be good. If you wanna run more boost safely, I'd drop to 9:1 or 8.8:1.

Really, you should be asking yourself what your overall end goal is. Do you want to run high boost or do you want something like an 8psi DD? A high boost build and a low boost build are going to be very different. Realistically, with a good tune you can run 5-8psi on a stock engine and upgraded injectors. If you beef up the internals, though, it'll play nicer. There are far too many variables involved to be able to answer "if I do x, will that be fine for boost?"
Old 02-05-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
You don't need to upgrade the cam, but if you decide to go high boost, you won't be able to utilize the turbo's full potential. However, you'd need a d17a2 head swap. I don't believe there are any cams for the -a1.

Upgrade your fuel pump. You didn't mention that anywhere. You may want to do a return style fuel system conversion

You could remove the pistons that way

Compression on the D17A1 is 9.5:1. You should be good. If you wanna run more boost safely, I'd drop to 9:1 or 8.8:1.

Really, you should be asking yourself what your overall end goal is. Do you want to run high boost or do you want something like an 8psi DD? A high boost build and a low boost build are going to be very different. Realistically, with a good tune you can run 5-8psi on a stock engine and upgraded injectors. If you beef up the internals, though, it'll play nicer. There are far too many variables involved to be able to answer "if I do x, will that be fine for boost?"
Ok thanks! I wasn't fully aware whether or not the fuel pump would be required or not, my end goal is a boosted 7th gen DD that'll sweep the streets lol, so if I run rods,Pistons, rings and bearings that'll be fine to boost on without blowing the engine? I want to safely push as much boost as possible without blowing the engine on nothing but the upgrades I mentioned. So I could technically swap the internals over a weekend via the method I mentioned oil pan.? I won't be driving this car during the winter months either btw. Can I drive it with low compression Pistons even tho it won't be boosted right away? I'm wanting to do this in stages. Internals upgraded-engine management- turbo kit.. I'm just wondering whether I'll need to take it off the road to do this build or not
Old 02-06-2016
Registered!!

These are the rod/Pistons I'm planning on getting, http://realstreetperformance.com/Wis...75mm-8-81.html
would any of the specs change or no? Such as bearing size, piston size so on?
Old 04-26-2016
Registered!!

David Thomas is an unknown quantity at this point

"I want to safely push as much boost as possible without blowing the engine on nothing but the upgrades I mentioned"... Doesn't work that way don't be cheap.
What about a new trans? All that boost...
Intercooler? quite common with turbos
Are you going to get a turbo manifold?
Drivetrain?
Wideband 02 sensor
MAP sensor
How about brakes?

Sounds like you haven't done much if any research and want to spend barebones and what was the phrase? "Push as much boost as possible"

Yeah ok
Old 04-26-2016
Registered!!

MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by David Thomas
"I want to safely push as much boost as possible without blowing the engine on nothing but the upgrades I mentioned"... Doesn't work that way don't be cheap.
What about a new trans? All that boost...
Intercooler? quite common with turbos
Are you going to get a turbo manifold?
Drivetrain?
Wideband 02 sensor
MAP sensor
How about brakes?

Sounds like you haven't done much if any research and want to spend barebones and what was the phrase? "Push as much boost as possible"

Yeah ok
What a helpful first post.
Old 04-29-2016
Registered!!

Phillip123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MassCivic
What a helpful first post.
Really helpful.