SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

LX ECU SWAP for an EX ECU 04-05 EM2

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metalzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile LX ECU SWAP for an EX ECU 04-05 EM2

So I swapped my engine for a D17A and I am running it on my stock LX ECU so the VTEC solenoid wire isn't connected. I am planning to get an 04-05 EX EM2 AT ECU in a few days%u2026

So I was wondering what kind of issues will I run into after replacing the ECU?

As of now, the only problem is that the VTEC solenoid is unplugged..

One thing that I do know for sure is that I will have to go get the ECU re-flashed after its been swapped.

Anything I should be aware of? Thanks all!!
Old 10-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LX ECU SWAP for an EX ECU 04-05 EM2

I will have to go get the ECU re-flashed after its been swapped.
If possible, swap the PCM and bolt it in place but connect the wiring to the original so it can be driven to the dealer for the flash.
Park in a convenient place for the techs (ask where would be best!), swap wiring to the new unit, then let them program it.

Take ALL of your keys for the immobilizer programming.

As of now, the only problem is that the VTEC solenoid is unplugged..
You should have the VTEC solenoid, the VTEC oil pressure switch wires (2).....that's all I can think of at the moment...
Old 10-31-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If possible, swap the PCM and bolt it in place but connect the wiring to the original so it can be driven to the dealer for the flash.
Park in a convenient place for the techs (ask where would be best!), swap wiring to the new unit, then let them program it.

Take ALL of your keys for the immobilizer programming.

You should have the VTEC solenoid, the VTEC oil pressure switch wires (2).....that's all I can think of at the moment...

Okay, so I did what you said, pinned both of those wires into the wiring harness for the ECU.

Pinned:
Connector B (24 Pins)
9-blu/blk-VTEC Oil pressure switch VTEC ONLY
15-grn/yel-VTEC Solenoid valve
Everything is set and ready to be programmed. Tomorrow I'm going to drive to Honda, connect EX ECU and have them flash it. Hopefully it works!!

BTW, my engine didn't have a pressure switch (D17A).. There was a bolt that was covering the hole where the pressure switch goes. I took it out and put the pressure switch, 2 cables, black to ground, and blue/black to ECU. NOT sure if this engine needs it or not, but I did it anyway.
Old 10-31-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Metalzone
NOT sure if this engine needs it or not, but I did it anyway.
The engine doesn't care, but the computer does.
Old 10-31-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The engine doesn't care, but the computer does.
Alright haha, going to keep this updated..

BTW, you're like the only member that seems to be helping me with my issues.. <_<
Old 10-31-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

no one better than him...