Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Deciding between two exhaust systems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014
4dirtbike4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4dirtbike4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Deciding between two exhaust systems.

Which is better for my 03 lx coupe. The DC Sports Stainless Steel Exhaust or the MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust. Looking for the most gain and hp and the nicest sound. Deeper sound.
Old 10-11-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Deciding between two exhaust systems.

Did you check out YouTube videos of each setup?
Old 10-12-2014
4dirtbike4

Yes but as far as performance too. And you cant really get a real feel for the sound on the videos.
Old 10-12-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Performance gains from an exhaust are very subjective. For the pipes, you want something stainless steel (to avoid corrosion) and mandrel-bent (smoother bends) and not too huge (2.5 inches max). Our little engines aren't really designed to be run with really wide-open pipes since they are relatively weak and need back pressure to operate effectively. As for mufflers, the quieter they are, the more restrictive. Unfortunately, a lot of them sound like garbage. You can see a bunch of reviews here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...r-exhaust.html
I'm debating between the Magnaflow or just going to a muffler shop and getting a custom job. I hear it's not prohibitively expensive and plenty of people here have gotten good results.
You also might want to consider going for an EX setup, which moves your catalytic converter under the car so you can upgrade your header.
Old 10-12-2014
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I have the Megnflow system with a Megnaflow high flow cat. and I haven't heard anyone complain about the sound, and over the 3 years I've had it probably 3 people have said it sounds nice. It won't make your car sound like an exotic or anything but it is nice sounding.
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

aircooledjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4dirtbike4
Yes but as far as performance too. And you cant really get a real feel for the sound on the videos.
Exhaust power increase is extremely minimal on the d17 engine. You might feel it in the top of the power curve, but unless you plan on tuning your car you are basically going for the best noise maker.

I find the dc exhaust to sound slightly "ricey" vs the magnaflow. I think performance-wise they are pretty identical.
Old 10-15-2014
4dirtbike4

yes im going to get it tuned after i put a few basic parts on it.
Old 10-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

aren't those both just axle back systems i think your better off just slapping on a good sounding high quality universal muffler and calling it a day.