SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

RevLimiter on 4k RPM after Engine Swap from Vtec to none Vtec with new programmed ECM

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014
HONDACiViC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CiViCAGUY is an unknown quantity at this point
RevLimiter on 4k RPM after Engine Swap from Vtec to none Vtec with new programmed ECM

I can get the pictures of the plugs by tonight.

Last edited by CiViCAGUY; 07-24-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2014
HONDACiViC

Re: RevLimiter on 4k RPM after Engine Swap from Vtec to none Vtec with new programmed

Originally Posted by CiViCAGUY
Hello,
I got a 2002 Civic Ex automatic about 6 months ago with swapped None Vtec engine 1.7, the car runs fine when I drive normal on the road or the highway I never pass 80mph, but when I try to take off quicker it gives me a Rev Limiter or a "Limp mode" at 3800 rpm, also on the highway when I punch the gas to go faster, the CEL is on and when I scanned it it gave me about 4 codes, sorry I can't really remember them it was when I just got it, after I did some research and diagnosed it at the mechanic he said to either get the original Engine for it or change the ECM and program it, but the Ecm its not for sure will solve the problem, I replaced the ECM with new one this morning and have it programmed at the same spot I got it from, didn't solve the problem. (btw there's two plugs from the new engine on the left side of the head gasket that there just hanging) there's no where to plug into.
just did an oil change couple days ago, also there's been an oil leak on the left side of the engine thats been there. it could be the gasket that I'm planning on fixing it soon. its really frustrating

any help or suggestions i'll be real appreciated!!
UPDATE: codes:
P1491 - P1259 - P1324
Old 07-24-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: RevLimiter on 4k RPM after Engine Swap from Vtec to none Vtec with new programmed

How about a picture of those unused plugs?
Old 07-24-2014
HONDACiViC

Just find out that the only way to get it fix is to put the original motor in.

My question now if I can change only the head gasket with a Vtec head gasket and not the whole motor?
Old 07-24-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Swap from Vtec to none Vtec
P1259
You have the wrong computer for that engine.
Old 07-26-2014
HONDACiViC

Originally Posted by ezone
You have the wrong computer for that engine.
you mean the wrong engine for the computer.
I changed the computer and still not working correctly.
Old 07-26-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CiViCAGUY
you mean the wrong engine for the computer.
You installed the wrong engine for the car.
I changed the computer and still not working correctly.
Why not?
Old 07-26-2014

My question now if I can change only the head gasket with a Vtec head gasket and not the whole motor?
You can put a VTEC head on the non-VTEC block but compression will be a bit lower.