Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

LX Engine change

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BrotherAli is an unknown quantity at this point
LX Engine change

First post here please bear with my n00bish questions

One of my friends has a 02 LX sedan and its at like 220,000 miles. The headgasket recently blew and I was telling him to consider getting a 100K engine, change the timing belt and water pump and swap it in. Does this seem like a good plan? Im seeing engines around $500-700. How hard is the engine swap? From looking at my 96 accord, honda engines dont seem too hard to change.

Any help would be great!

EDIT: After checking EX engine swap seems too involved (need new harness and ECU reprogram). Really only care about reliability, not power. He drives like a grandpa anyways lol. Think the EX engine is more reliable?

Last edited by BrotherAli; 07-19-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: LX Engine change

If you get a non VTEC engine then the swap will be easier. Look for an engine out of a VP, Dx, or Lx.

If the bottom end of the engine is still in good shape then it would still worth it IMO to just do the HG yourself. Yes the motor has 100K on it but how long was it sitting? Was it taken care of for those 100K miles? Just things to consider.
Old 07-22-2014
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: LX Engine change

It should be pretty easy, that is if you know roughly what you're doing.

Pay attention when you remove the wiring harness on the engine you're pulling. some of the electrical plugs on the engine side are easier to get to with the tire off.

-drain fluids
-Remove engine harness
-disconnect the shift linkage
-support the engine with jacks or an engine crane
-then pull the engine

-I'd remove the rear transmission mount first and the front engine mount, Leaving the two side mounts, one mounting the the transmission and the other to the engine. Then support the engine/transmission with the crane. then remove the last to mounts on the sides and pull the engine out.