Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

D17 head swap help..!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012
02Civicstock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02Civicstock is an unknown quantity at this point
D17 head swap help..!!!

I have an 02 LX with D17 that has blown head gasket and cracked head. i pulled thermostat because it my daily driver. im doing a head swap when i replace the head gasket and want to know which is the easiest replacement with little modification. im just wanting a little more power, not looking to turbo.. i love my gas mileage
Old 03-06-2012
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough
Re: D17 head swap help..!!!

The only replacement for little mods, is the same head. Your model D17A1 does not have VTEC. The only way to put a VTEC head on D17A2, is to rewire or replace your ecu. Once you replace your ecu, you have to add more things throughout the car, SRS, ABS, and so on...so, stay stock. or put intake, headers, and exhaust. or you could get the head port and polished.
Old 03-06-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

d17a2 head swap and cam it. That's really the only way.

It wouldn't be quite the same as having an -a2 under the hood because the -a1 has a slightly lower compression ratio (9.5:1 vs the 9.9:1).

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...p-ex-vtec.html
Old 03-06-2012
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

ummm....he doesn't want a lot of work...swapping an ECU (which would be needed to go to the a2) is a lot of work. The a2 ECU has a lot of extras that the a1 doesn't.
Old 03-06-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Yet it would the easiest head swap. Plus, you can't drop a crower cam into the d17a1 head, so if you want the little bit of power from a cam, you'd have to do the head swap anyways.

unless he goes in for a newer -a1 head swap.. I think that'd be the only easier alternative.
Old 03-07-2012
02Civicstock

02Civicstock is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the insight.
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

J-M.QUESNEL is an unknown quantity at this point

i heard that if u go to honda the techs there can just reprogram the ecu that you already have for about 100$ if this is true its a lot cheaper and a lot easier then switching out your ecu. does anyone know if this is true?
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough

Use the a2 head and apexi vafc2 with all of your original sensors,exhaust, ecu. I've. Even running it for 10k kms with crower st1 cam and no problems
Old 09-17-2012
Registered!!

J-M.QUESNEL is an unknown quantity at this point

I just plug the apexi into my STOL ecu?
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

There's a bit of soldering when installing the vafc2. It's really not that difficult to do. Just practice on some old speaker wires and your set. Remember to use heat shrink tubing too. Follow the DIY on here it's your best guide to doing it
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

kamal77 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 02Civicstock
I have an 02 LX with D17 that has blown head gasket and cracked head. i pulled thermostat because it my daily driver. im doing a head swap when i replace the head gasket and want to know which is the easiest replacement with little modification. im just wanting a little more power, not looking to turbo.. i love my gas mileage
If you go on and modify the head , it may cost you more, i would say it is better to buy a long block and replace the one you have. it is gonna cost you around 700$ with installation.
You can also swap a complete b16b but if your drive is auto it may cost you many grands ....
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kamal77
If you go on and modify the head , it may cost you more, i would say it is better to buy a long block and replace the one you have. it is gonna cost you around 700$ with installation.
You can also swap a complete b16b but if your drive is auto it may cost you many grands ....
This doesn't make any sense
Old 09-29-2012
Registered!!

Nitrous1024 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by J-M.QUESNEL
i heard that if u go to honda the techs there can just reprogram the ecu that you already have for about 100$
No. The seventh generation ECU can not be flashed. You would have to get a piggy-back system or a stand alone engine management system to do that.
Old 09-29-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by j_dock69
Use the a2 head and apexi vafc2 with all of your original sensors,exhaust, ecu. I've. Even running it for 10k kms with crower st1 cam and no problems
^ this if you want to swap to a a2. easiest way, no swapping ecus and adding the extras

Originally Posted by SpdySylvrEX
ummm....he doesn't want a lot of work...swapping an ECU (which would be needed to go to the a2) is a lot of work. The a2 ECU has a lot of extras that the a1 doesn't.
you dont have to swap the ecu I didnt when i did my swap, just wired in a vafc2 to run the vtec

head swap would be the cheapest option. to swap a b series in a 7th gen is a lot of custom work and money. its easier to swap a k series in but then your looking at 5000+ and the head swap only cost around 1000 to do
Old 09-29-2012
Administrator
Administrator

No. Stop it.

Had this whole speil about the head swap vs engine swap, but I decided against it. I'll let OP form his own opinion about that. I mean, dude said he's going in for a head gasket change anyways.. But I digress..

HOWEVER.....

Don't even get me started with the B16 swap you passively suggested. One, it's not a legal swap. Look into it. The engine going in cannot be older than the chassis it's being dropped into. Going with a different series engine (D vs B)? Yep, new tranny needed, too. Do they make mounts for a B series into an EM2/ES1 chassis? Nope. More fab needed.