Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

best mods for D17a1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05jdmcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
best mods for D17a1?

I have a 05 civic dx (automatic ). I wanted to know what's he best mods for it because i've had a few people tell me it's best to put in a b16 vtec head and put turbo and also make it manual.. but i know making it maunal is gonna cost a good amount of money from what i've heard..
ill even try an swap it if i have to..

I have cool air intake and also headers on it already..

i really just want be able to beat two of my friends ones running a 03 srt4 with a fews mods nothing big and 03 eclipse v6 with aftermarket flywheel and stage 2 clutch i believe..

i know the performance between my car and there's is a big difference but i want to know at least what mods are possible an what gives my car the best performace..

HELP ANYONE??
Old 04-27-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough
Re: best mods for D17a1?

First off hi
Please don't race your car on the street.
Our civics are really slow so your not going to beat those cars or even a mopped.
I am not to sure but even a with a k swamp your not going to get the hp you need beat them.
You can can use the search button and see what iam talking about.
Accept your car for what it is slow and good on gas. For the cost of a engine swamp you should buy another car and keep that one for dd since its good on gas and it going up every day.
Old 04-27-2011
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Our cars are kinda slow... And Mods dont really help much unless your dumping tons of money into it i.e. Turbo, or swap. But I run Nitrous in mine and it helps quite a bit with the slow part! Header, cat back, Intake and Nitrous. Just make sure you know everything before you juice that thing. One wrong move and youll toast the engine! Good Luck and welcome to the Forums!!!
Old 04-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

If your idea of fast is go get as fast as possible to certain speed in straight line, then drop a nitro... no need of driver there, just a good shop (no merits to yourself besides the cash spent).
If your idea of fast is catching the eclipse in the corners, first train the driver, then it's tires and then suspension. SRT4 is quite fast on corners with the right driver, so driver training...

Like someone said sometime ago, all of civic owners have 300WHP, none knows how to drive.
pity... with all the national titles we have with 90-91 vics in STS...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-27-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

well you can't really make it faster then you buddies cars but you can make it handle better. if they want a race see who can drive the furthest before running out of gas you will win every time.
Old 04-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you don't need to heel-toe, man! :P
Old 04-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Whoever told you to put a b16 vtec head on a d17a1 doesn't know much about engines.

Without laying out a minimum of $5k you won't be able to beat either of your friends in a straight line; focus on suspension and brake mods, then you'll be able to beat them around corners. If you want to give your car a little more pep do a d17a2 head swap and drop in a stage 1 cam, then do a manual swap, but if you can't do a manual swap yourself it will cost a minimum of $2000.
The following users liked this post:
Eduardo119 (02-23-2020)
Old 04-27-2011
2010 Civic Si

K20Z3 is on a distinguished road

You basically bought the slowest possible civic and asked how you can make it faster than a car with a turbo and another car with 50% more cylinders.

I don't even know where to start...
Old 04-27-2011
Registered!!

thefatalepic is an unknown quantity at this point

K20 swap and convert to manual. Add turbo AND nitro. Switch to a carbon fiber hood and trunk.

Once you get this done, stick on 3 fake breathers on each front fender. Then as many CIVICFORUMS.COM stickers as you can get on there. A NOZ sticker won't hurt either.

This will give you maximum hp.

Of course, this will cost a ton of $$ so you might be better off doing as SpeedDownZone suggested and spend this money on a fast car. Keep the Civic for this summer when gas prices skyrocket.
Old 05-03-2011
Registered!!

05jdmcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your time and advice. yea I've heard alot about my civic. im just gonna add jdm parts all around an have it for looks. As for my buddies im looking into an 05 lancer mr or into the 99 or 00 civic si.
Old 05-05-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

make it fast, ok

option 1:

d17 to v6 conversion (v8 if it fits?)
twin turbo
meth injection
strip the back seats
carbon fiber the high hell out of it

$20,000

done!

option 2:

d17a1 to a2 head swap and turbo (with supporting mads). $5-9000, but i'd go for option 1 =D.