Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

converting hybrid to normal car

Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thumper9 is an unknown quantity at this point
converting hybrid to normal car

Is there an engine that will bolt right in to the hybrid's subframe without modifying the mounting brackets? I was quoted $3900 to replace the IMA battery and am just weighing my options. Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: converting hybrid to normal car

i think the frames are very similar and it should be an easy swap. im guessing $500 for a used engine and $1k for labor. have you thought about reconditioning the old battery(usually lasts another 5 yrs)? im not sure where you would go for that service tho. or even buying a used one from junkyard or ebay.
Old 04-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I think it would be much more than $1000 for labour, my guess would be closer to $2500 minimum if the wiring goes well.

Last edited by MindBomber; 04-14-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

No labor as I'd be doing it myself. Looking at the used/refurbished battery route but kinda sick of the whole thing at this point. They can degrade significantly after only 50k miles, and I wouldn't count on 5 years. Nobody offers a warranty near that. Really just looking to see if there's a particular engine whose mounts will bolt right in. I know there'd be more work with extra components (eg alternator) and such, and some re-wiring, but I don't have any fabrication skills so that's the most important thing.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

civicexracer will become famous soon enough

Realisticly you'll probably spend about the same or more to convert it. You'll need a whole new motor and trans with wire harness and ecu. If you're paying someone to do this, it'll be quite a hefty bill..
Old 04-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think the wiring would be a nightmare. the hybrid has a ton of stuff thats different from normal civics including all the ecu, multiplex unit, climate control, and majority of the sensors. now that i think about it, this could be a serious concern.
Old 04-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thumper9
No labor as I'd be doing it myself. Looking at the used/refurbished battery route but kinda sick of the whole thing at this point. They can degrade significantly after only 50k miles, and I wouldn't count on 5 years. Nobody offers a warranty near that. Really just looking to see if there's a particular engine whose mounts will bolt right in. I know there'd be more work with extra components (eg alternator) and such, and some re-wiring, but I don't have any fabrication skills so that's the most important thing.
Off the top of my head the parts from the em2, es2 or es1 you would need are the engine, transmission, ECU, wiring harness, alternator, battery, air intake, axles, intermediate shaft, header, cat, downpipe, subframe, engine mounts (which should bolt up), possibly fuel line and pump?, radiator, fans, shift cables and probably a few other little things. There would probably be a substantial amount of re-wiring and that's unexplored territory, so it's hard to say how much there actually is different. It might be more practical to actually remove the entire hybrid wiring harness, literally everything, and replace it with the 1.7L harness. If that were the route you went then you would could still utilize the cluster with some re-wiring, but the climate controls, multiplex unit, probably the cruise control unit?.. and more would need to be changed.

To my knowledge there have only ever been two hybrid to gas powered swaps done on Hondas, both of which made the cover of honda tuning magazine. One was swapping a k20 into an insight and the other a k20 into a CR-Z, they were done by a shop called LHT performance.

Last edited by MindBomber; 04-14-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

TreeFortRichard can only hope to improve

Yeah, it sounds more like the grand prize challenge to an automotive reality show...
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Haha, okay I will scratch that option off the list. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-23-2011
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

i cried a little after reading this thread =P
Old 05-27-2013
Registered!!

whiteGIANT510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: converting hybrid to normal car

maaan u can put any engine u want in there if u wanna do the work. he owner of DNR performance in hayward ca has an insight w k20 . im about to buy an 01 civic hybrid and swap my awd b20 in and go k24turbo awd in my crv. when i get the money of course.but it CAN B done
Old 05-27-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whiteGIANT510
an 01 civic hybrid
Really?
Old 10-20-2016
Registered!!

Stacy Price is an unknown quantity at this point

Batterys are bad on the hybrid and the frame is unfixable on the gas car
Old 01-07-2018
Registered!!

Thompsonrich117 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there an engine that will bolt right in to the hybrid's subframe without modifying the mounting brackets? I was quoted $3900 to replace the IMA battery and am just weighing my options. Thanks for any advice.
I am having a similar issue as my 03 took a dump on me last week. Ima motor failed and im not payin 3 grand to have it replaced. Luckily i found a messed up 04 ex with an engine in awesome condition. The swap is gonna take some time, but if you have a book, rewiring the systems on the inside wont be that hard. Patience is key on it. As for the engine, if you have noticed, the hybrid engine compartment is backwards compared to conventional civics. Gonna have to flip it all around. Time consuming, yes. Impossible, not at all. Honda has actually discontinued the civic hybrid, as well. Guess they thought it was a money pit for them too. Anywho, time and patience my man
Old 01-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

Personally, i would make sure you get the ECU, wiring harness, motor mounts, along with the engine and tranny, axles, radiator, a $100 welder from harbor freight, and most importantly 2 cases of shiner.

If the engine is talking to the ecu then the hell with the AC, heater, radio, windows, locks, etc...

Good luck
Old 01-08-2021
Registered!!

alexdhatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

older video but

Old 04-21-2022
Registered!!

bigbangcaraudio is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone finish this swap yet.. cause I'm trying to do same on my es9
Old 02-28-2024
Registered!!

EV-HEV tech is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually it is easy all you need is to do put an alternator like a regular civic. Civic hybrid actually has a starter unlike other hybrid which start the engine in case hybrid battery is too weak to start it. You can remove the hybrid battery Dc/Dc converter inverter assembly from back seat and just put an alternator to charge the battery and you are done. Honda civic is a Type 2 hybrid system. It can function with the hybrid system removed.
Old 02-28-2024
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EV-HEV tech
Actually it is easy all you need is to do put an alternator like a regular civic. Civic hybrid actually has a starter unlike other hybrid which start the engine in case hybrid battery is too weak to start it. You can remove the hybrid battery Dc/Dc converter inverter assembly from back seat and just put an alternator to charge the battery and you are done. Honda civic is a Type 2 hybrid system. It can function with the hybrid system removed.
but it will be a 1.3L vs an 1.7L in the regular engine.
Lawnmower