SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

Non Vtec to Vtec swap!!! HELP!

Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7thGenCuban is an unknown quantity at this point
Non Vtec to Vtec swap!!! HELP!

I just got a Vtec motor for my car but I had a non vtec to begin with and it spun a rod bearing. I was told everything bolts up the same way from the shop I bought it from but they arent totally sure about the vtec hook ups. I know for a fact I need a vtec harness for the new motor. One of the other customers that were there said I could tap into the current harness and run a wire for the vtec. Im not sure if he is totally correct about that with the 7th Gen. civics.

Has anyone done this swap with the d series? I could really use the help!

UPDATE!! UPDATE!!!!
Ok so my car is practically done ECU AND ALL but the shop told me that the exhaust doesnt hook up to the aftermarket headers I got (M2 performance headers) like I knew would happen but now idk what to do cuz I dont want it to keep throwing a CEL. The guy told me I should get a cat welded in my midpipe for starters but there still leaves the problem that it doesnt bolt up to the headers. Anyone know of a company that makes a pipe that would bolt up to it? cuz I was told a down pipe with a resonator is for turbo only. and thats all M2 sells is downpipes and headers

Last edited by 7thGenCuban; 05-19-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Non Vtec to Vtec swap!!! HELP!

Your also going to need a new exhaust, the D17a1 and D17a2 have different exhaust systems.

As far as the wiring harness, follow the wiring instructions in the head swap DIY.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...p-ex-vtec.html
Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Your also going to need a new exhaust, the D17a1 and D17a2 have different exhaust systems.

As far as the wiring harness, follow the wiring instructions in the head swap DIY.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...p-ex-vtec.html
whatcha mean exhaust? dont you mean the tail pipe?

thanks for the page bro but im tryin to get the vtec and the flash. thanks for showin me it can be done though

Last edited by 7thGenCuban; 03-22-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

An EX has a separate header and cat, a DX/LX has a cat built into the exhaust manifold.
Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
An EX has a separate header and cat, a DX/LX has a cat built into the exhaust manifold.
ohh ok... know where i can get the exaust system? I just bought headers for the EX just need the rest i guess haha
Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

984drcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

d16y7 to d16y8 if u need the help hit me up i studied this bitch fot wks b 4 doing it
Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 984drcivic
d16y7 to d16y8 if u need the help hit me up i studied this bitch fot wks b 4 doing it
i have d17a1 going to a d17a2
Old 03-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Buying a new engine harness and reflashing the ECU is going to cost you wayyyy more than running a wire from the vtec solenoid to a vtec controller like the Apexi vafc2 or the Apexi Neo. Both give you the same result, but the vtec controller give you more latitude in "tuning" your vtec point and come in a much lower cost. Taking it to the dealer to get the parts and do the install/flash is ridiculous. You should reconsider your choice.

As far as exhaust, yes the DX/LX and EX have different exhaust setups starting with the header and going back to the exhaust tip... BUT, the exhaust ports coming off the d17a2 and d17a1 are both the same in respect to bolt pattern. That means your DX/LX stock exhaust will still work after your EX head swap.

Save money.
Old 03-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by TRIZ
As far as exhaust, yes the DX/LX and EX have different exhaust setups starting with the header and going back to the exhaust tip... BUT, the exhaust ports coming off the d17a2 and d17a1 are both the same in respect to bolt pattern. That means your DX/LX stock exhaust will still work after your EX head swap.

Save money.
This it true, the headers do bolt up, but you won't pass emissions without a cat if thats a concern.
Old 03-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

No, you will still pass if you keep the full LX exhaust system since the cat is in the header.. Only if he switched to an EX exhaust setup (without the stock downpipe with cat converter in it) with a test pipe (a straight through pipe with no cat, would he then not pass emissions.
Old 01-03-2019
Registered!!

Lj hodges is an unknown quantity at this point

Bout to do the nonvtec to VTEC whole engine swap on 2001 Accord ..how bad is it?
Old 01-03-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,294 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

You will want to start with asking the correct forum. This is a 7th gen Civic forum (2001-2005).
Old 08-16-2021
Registered!!

godnation74 is an unknown quantity at this point

so can i just swap the header??
Old 08-16-2021
Click Here

Received 1,151 Likes on 899 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by godnation74
so can i just swap the header??
This thread has your answer.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

A david is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRIZ
No, you will still pass if you keep the full LX exhaust system since the cat is in the header.. Only if he switched to an EX exhaust setup (without the stock downpipe with cat converter in it) with a test pipe (a straight through pipe with no cat, would he then not pass emissions.
omg thank you I’ve been looking for this. Like Ik the exhausts are different but if they both bolt up I’m g thank you