Turbo Post information/questions about Turbo here!

Boost a D17A2??

Old 07-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.VTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMr.VTEC has a spectacular aura about
Boost a D17A2??

I am thinkin about slappin a turbo on my03 EX. i just have a few questions. Im sure the stock motor can only handle about 10 pounds. But will I run into any problmes if I leave EVERYTHING untouched and just put the turbo kit on?

I mean no tune..iignition....fuel....just a turbo kit. how would that go over?
Old 07-12-2010
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about
Re: Boost a D17A2??

I'm no expert, but I'd guess you'd be able to safely handle 5-8 lbs of boost with stock internals, etc.

Dunno why you'd want a turbo without at least a tune, though.
Old 07-12-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Yea.. don't do that. When I boosted my car, it was only 2.5psi (wastegate actuator problem) with rsx-s injectors and using a VAFC-II to tune it, and even that had me run into problems. My car's back to n/a with just bolt-ons now.
Old 07-12-2010
Registered!!

Yeah it was just an idea....im going to stick with bolt ons and the simple stuff. I ahve another question though. After CAI and exhaust..whats another good mod for the D17? Cam maybe? Fuel? Ignition?
Old 07-13-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty well every bolt on is a waste of money except for turbo. You won't gain any power from it
Old 07-13-2010
Registered!!

^ yeah, the D17s won't really benefit from bolt-ons all that much. I mean.. better air flow (etc) will equal better performance overall... but not in the typical meaning of "performance" .. more like "health"
Old 07-13-2010
Registered!!

i mean im not looking to build a race car....just a daily driver that is still quick. I want to be able to beat a ricer if I need to :P and maybe giving other cars a good run too lol

Thanks for the input guys
Old 07-13-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

seriously, bolt ons really don't do much if anything at all
Old 07-13-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you bolt stuff on, don't expect your car to be any faster than it is now. IMO.
Old 07-13-2010
Registered!!

The mods im talking about are CAI, Header and full exhaust, Ignition, Fuel, and maybe a cam.

But I just started this thread to see what peoples opinions were on turbo kit with no internals. I pretty much knew it was a bad idea....but i wanted insight.

So you guys are saying that if I do the things I want to my car im not going to notice anything?
Old 07-13-2010
Registered!!

Depending on the quality of the stuff you install, you might very well notice positive changes... but it won't be anything to get excited about... that's all.
Old 07-13-2010
Administrator
Administrator

aftermarket ignition mods are extremely expensive and completely unnecessary on a d17. There's really nothing you can do fuel-wise except converting to a return style fuel conversion in preps for say, a turbo.

I'm running an AEM V2 intake, ceramic header, 49-state legal high flow cat/downpipe, and a full cat-back, and that's not even doing much for performance except for sound. A cam would do you well though, but seeing as how all the crower cams (stage 1, stage 2 turbo, stage 2 n/a, and stage 3) are all the same price.. Only difference is the stage 2/3 cams you need engine management and the upgraded valve springs and retainers. You can get away with stock tuning with the stage 1

You can do a turbo with stock internals, but fuel and engine management are key to having a successful turbo setup.
Old 07-17-2010
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

You want performance... With a cold air, cat back, Colder plugs (prefferably ZEX Nitrous plugs), good cometic head gasket and 91 octane you can run a 75 shot of nitrous and be just fine!!! I run it on my daily on a constant!
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mr22508
You want performance... With a cold air, cat back, Colder plugs (prefferably ZEX Nitrous plugs), good cometic head gasket and 91 octane you can run a 75 shot of nitrous and be just fine!!! I run it on my daily on a constant!
Seriously? How often do you use your nitrous?
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mr22508
Originally Posted by Mr.VTEC
Seriously? How often do you use your nitrous?
And more importantly, WHY do you need to use nitrous constantly in your DD?!?
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by grendel
And more importantly, WHY do you need to use nitrous constantly in your DD?!?
Im sure I wouldnt use it all the time....just when it was called for.
Old 07-18-2010
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute

Been running 9psi for 6yrs with stock motor and stock injectors. I am using the SF fuel system. Do not waste your money on a CAI or headers if you are gonna turbo, but do get an exhaust. If you go turbo, some rsx injectors and a fuel management system will work great for a mild set-up. Also, do not waste money on a cam. You will also need a set of plugs. I am using Denso IK20's.
Old 07-19-2010
You Stay Classy, San Diego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

ok so here's the deal. It all has to do with how much money you want to spend. a decent reliable turbo setup is going to run you at absolute minimum 2000. thats on a shitty piggyback. kpro alone is $1000 and worth every penny. its stand alone fuel management and your car will run perfectly on it. Piggybacks suck. probably for a nice turbo setup to push 200whp reliably and never have problems you're lookin at like 2500 with kpro at minimum. alternatively you could do a mild NA build. Intake, exhaust, headers and stage 1 cam and all that will run you like maybe 700ish less if you shop around. a guy dyno'd his stage 1 cammed civic on i/h/e/stage1 and made 124.5whp. pretty good considering stock you're lucky to break 95whp. add a lightweight flywheel nd clutch to add even more power. i am currently running shaved/ported and polished head, stage 1 cam, 7lb flywheel, stage 2 clutch, intake, headers and exhaust with straight pipe. i have virtually no tuning on my afc neo just a little bit of adjustment to smoothen out the idle. and my car is quick. i can keep up to b16 civics. I imagine with kpro (which i will be getting soon) and after that i imagine i should be up around 135-140whp with my new intake manifold i'm working on. little stuff adds up. 140whp is probably an exaggeration but 135 is deffinitely doable. boost is good but it costs a lot and reliability is always an issue. if you can keep the boost down than its fine but to most boost is like crack. u just want more and more and more. i have been told that if you want to boost your car make sure u have enough time to boost your car 2-3 times over lol
Old 07-19-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Swap it man. Run a k24a2 I/RH/E on kpro tune and easily beat 220 whp and 200 trq and it will be dependable and cost bout the same as a good turbo kit with kpro and tune on the d17.
Old 07-19-2010
Registered!!

After I pay the car off I will do a K swap. I just ordered (literally) a CAI and cat back exhaust....I already have a header. I cant seem to find a cam anywhere though.
Old 07-19-2010
Low and slow!

After I pay the car off I will do a K swap.
Old 07-19-2010
Registered!!

After I pay the car off I will do a K swap.
Baller.

I'm jealous.

Old 07-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I cant seem to find a cam anywhere though.
http://www.dezod.com/cat-camshafts4.cfm

Dezod's a good vendor. I don't know how active he is anymore on civicforums though. I think he's fairly active on 7thgenhonda.com.

thmotorsports.com is also another good place to go for stuff. Another vendor that used to be very active on these forums (username TrueHonda).
Old 07-20-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
http://www.dezod.com/cat-camshafts4.cfm

Dezod's a good vendor. I don't know how active he is anymore on civicforums though. I think he's fairly active on 7thgenhonda.com.

thmotorsports.com is also another good place to go for stuff. Another vendor that used to be very active on these forums (username TrueHonda).
hey man I appreciate the help!
Old 07-20-2010
Registered!!

OK I think ill skip tint and subs and get that cam!!

If I go with stage 1 will I notice a difference?
If I go with stage 2 is the spring upgrade REALLY needed?
Old 07-20-2010
Administrator
Administrator

with the stage 2, I do think it's required. Don't remember why though. I'm not too savvy on engine internals specifics. You do, however, need a form of engine management if you run the stage 2 or 3 cam.
Old 07-20-2010
Registered!!

If I stick with stage 1 will i notice anything? is it really worth it you think?
Old 07-20-2010
Low and slow!

You would feel alittle bit of a difference. Not to sure bout the d17s gains with cams but should net you like 5-8 whp. If you went to stage 2 it will net you alot more cause you need a new ecu management, kpro would be the best. after the cam,kpro tune it could net you any where from 10-15 whp or more.
Old 07-20-2010
Administrator
Administrator

hell, might as well step up to the stage 3.. same price, after all.. lol
Old 07-20-2010
Registered!!

^^^this is true! lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boost a D17A2??