Engine Performance Modifications Post your questions about how to modify your engine here Swaps, Flashing, bolt-ons, etc.

Detailed D17 NA Build Research- COMMENT HERE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Re: Detailed D17 NA Build Research- COMMENT HERE!!!!

hello
Old 02-03-2008
Registered!!

civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute

hi.... point being? wanting an update?just random hello post?
Old 02-03-2008
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take an update.
Old 02-04-2008

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

lol^

wanted to subscribe.

ill be putting a stage 2 cam in and tuning it with the AEM FIC.

Triz in my wide band thread said it couldnt handle it...

thought this would be a good place to talk about it.
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute

well on the subject of the FIC. i would think it should be able to handle it. im pretty sure people have used emanage with a stage 2 and got the car tuned and it worked but not as well as a standalone. so if they can get it to work with emanage and FIC is supposedly better then you should be good with a competent tuner.

As for an update for me im looking into getting my tranny swapped at the moment. trying to figure out if im going to have any reliability problems with it down the road and if i have to change anything on the title or with my insurance company. so after i get that figured out hopefully this spring i will get the tranny swapped. Im getting $950 back for my taxes so that should cover most my parts needed. I decided getting rid of the auto is the first big step in being able to build up anything on the car so thats where im at with that.

beyond that if you go to 7thgenhonda you can see where some of my interest is being placed right now. its in the forced induction section under remote mount turbo.... im not dead set on it yet but it seems to be something unique which is what i want. so we will see what is in store for the car by may-ish.
Old 02-06-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I should probably get some ARP head studs... anyone know where that thread was where someone got them for 38 bucks?
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

here is what you are thinking of man : https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...s-install.html
the rod bolts perhaps for 38 bucks?

Last edited by civic-driver; 02-06-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Yeahhh I just found it, lol.

Part numbers dont match, see post:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ml#post4285337
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

lol ok you still didnt catch it.. those are rod bolts in the thread... your looking for head studs.... just waiting to see if it clicks
Old 02-06-2008
Premium Member

yeah yeah... I just got it. lol. Starbucks for the loss.
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

lol ok glad you got it now. i know how you feel i had that day yesterday in calc 2.
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

ronaldo9 was running an e-manage with the stage two he said something like it was working good till he put the cat delete on then it wanted to quit out every once in a while. I was having problems with my stage 2 the car would stall when I went full lock while parking and that was on the k-pro once it got tuned I haven't had any problems sometimes it dips a little but thats about it.
Old 02-07-2008

full lock?

i was talking with ronaldo9 about my new endeavor.
Old 02-07-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

full lock is when you turn the steering wheel all the way till it stops when it can't turn anymore it's at full lock
Old 02-07-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, when I had the stock cat on, I didn't have stalling issues. I put on the HP header with the test pipe and everything ran leaner so I had to add fuel to the entire map. The car would stall on idle bc I think it did not have enough back pressure so I had to pull some fuel out at idle. This worked fine but I would get lean misfires and i was trying to get the car running so I wouldn't throw codes. So basically I let the car run a tad rich so I wouldn't throw codes and would just feather the gas all the time at lights so it wouldn't stall. PITA but I got used to it. Oscar (DJMOTA) had to do the same thing with VAFC2 before he got KPro. Oh ya after I put back on the stock cat to pass emissions the map became SUPER rich and it just seemed like the car was choking. If you want gains with the cam ditch the cat IMO.
Old 02-07-2008

i just installed megan's race cat,

but i have my stock cat still...

ill try to get mine tuned with a race cat...

see how it goes
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

d17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Detailed D17 NA Build Research-ideas updated 10/13

Originally Posted by susuking
i read before from somewhere that they someone from asia with a d17a1 had a vtec swap from the honda city d15b which is true vtec. i duno how much work you have to do to make that work though ....

edit: nvm... its just a d17a2 with aggressive cams and bigger valve.

do you have the link??
Old 03-03-2008
Registered!!

might be easier to pm him this thread usually isnt seen much
Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

d17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of light

yea should have done that before.. dont know why i didnt think of that..lol

and custom itb's are expensive doesnt matter where you look.. why dont we look into aftermarket intake manifolds from d16's since we can already use the d16y8.im thinking of getting a obx im that i found that looks to be alot smaller so it can fit without cutting into the firewall. as for the throttle body i think we have to add a maf sensor from the d16's or something like that..(i saw that somewhere now i cant remember where..lol) what do you think?
Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

well there is a couple things about the D16 intake manifolds. If i remember correctly none of the bolts line up and have to be redrilled, there is some kind of coolant passage that is a problem, i believe it runs into a egr passage but im not for sure. The main problem is the production intake manifolds really dont work that well on the D16s ( small gains) and they were designed for it when you put it on ours its just not really the best design for it. intake manifolds have alot of different factors that go into making them work well. Dezod canned there intake manifold because they couldnt get consistent gains on different setups. That was with turbo setups too and its alot harder to get it NA. So you could go through all the effort of a D16 mani with no promise of gains and possible losses and unreliability. It is posssible to get ITBs for around 500 dollars but they require full standalone fuel management so its really about what you want to pay.
Old 03-04-2008

the D16 mani fits with mods to the runners

old news guys search there are like 10 members with them...

one thread.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...old-d17a2.html
Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Or buy a JDMFabtech intake mani for about $1000. Gerry made one for Bomerman. Things can be done gentleman its just a matter of how much money you want to spend.
Old 03-04-2008

got damn it i wish i could rep but i repped you too much like a year ago...
Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

Haha its cool man, I'm waiting to here results of your build. No one I know has used AEM FIC with a cam and if your not going to try I might have to do it all again this summer. I have a motorcycle and I'd rather drop money on that then spend it on a turbo lol.
Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

On a side note. I'm not trying to pick fun at certain ppl but running 15's with a turbo and running 15's with an n/a d17 is pretty comical. I suppose launching a 200+hp front wheel drive car is not easy.
Old 03-04-2008

lol true, waiting on my tax checks

i need new tokico too
Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

i knew it could be done i just never looked into it too much cause it didnt seem to be worth it. i was also aware of the jdm fabtech one. like its been said its all about money.
Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

Yeah JDM Fabtech mani FTW! lol

I just got the mani about a week ago it's a prototype so you could say it's still in the development stage. Me and some of the D.C. guys stuck it on this weekend. It's absolutely beautiful but there have been some issues with placement of sensors and the cnc on parts of it and fitment. But mind you it's still a prototype and once you get it in there and move a bunch of stuff around it fits really well. I haven't had a chance to send Gerry a note on the issues yet, the seem to be pretty small for the most part.

I also don't really have a good idea of how well it really works because once we got it hooked up the car would not run from 4000 rpm on down it would just stall out. (yeah try to make it home to VA from MD while revving to like 5000 grand or higher at every stop light and not get arrested by the cops; mind you I have no cat and am basiclly running straight pipe). Fixed that problem on Monday for some reason the MAP sensor and TPS sensor have the exact same plug

I had some overheating issues but thats from something else completely different went to check everything today under the hood and the timing belt is half off the cam wheel I think the tensioner seized so I just pushed the car into the garage I'll fix everything tomorrow hopefully.

So I have had about 5 mins of driving with the new mani, it feels good! but my car hates me
Old 03-05-2008

Geesh^ that sucks!
Old 03-27-2008
Registered!!

so any update bomberman on the manifold? curious to see how that worked out for you.

Quick Reply: Detailed D17 NA Build Research- COMMENT HERE!!!!