Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Turbo for d17a1 vs d17a2

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cjdrvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Turbo for d17a1 vs d17a2

I've read reports that a d17a1 with a CAI will get the same or more output than a D17a2 + CAI. However, for turbo purposes, will d17a2 have more potential?

Are there vtec cams that can give good reliable daily driving and good FI flow up top? This is possible in theory, but just not sure if it really works.

The point is, I'm looking to buy a 7th gen civic, but not sure whether to look for ex exclusively.
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Ppl will argue that the LX/DX will be better to turbo due to longer gearing than the EX and the EX is better due to vtec but personally I don't think its that significant. I'd shoot for the EX bc aftermarket parts are easier found for the EX. Bolt-ons don't do much for power with the civic. I'm running the stage 2 N/A cam and its fine for daily driving you just have to live with a lopey idle. Alot of ppl love the stage 1 cam. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

gelshmoff is an unknown quantity at this point
i'd say it's up to you and how much you want to boost. iirc:

ex = cat converter is down & out of your way, more parts (perhaps), shorter gears, etc...

lx = longer gears & lower compression ratio
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
It doesnt realy matter, I'd personaly be looking for EX, but I woudnt walk away should good LX deal come up.
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
junior h.m is an unknown quantity at this point
d17 just slow bro
Old 12-05-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
You will get more power boosting the D17A2 because of VTEC. It has been proven that VTEC equiped motors produce more power vs engines of same size without. It is true also that there are cam/head packages widely available for VTEC motors and the only ones available for non VTEC are mostly custom ordered.

You could always have the A2 motor and use the A1 tranny. VTEC + longer gears. Thats what im going to do.
Old 12-05-2006
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
start with a better engine platform... k series
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

cjdrvr is an unknown quantity at this point
I really need a sedan, is there a better platform than the civic?

Just test drove a 03 lx this afternoon. The stock performance is really not that great. Asking price is 10k and it has 45k. I expected better interior, and there's no remote entry for this car. I'll check out the EX next.

Any major changes between 01-03 civics?

Think $3000 can get a decent custom kit?

Turbo $600
Manifold $250
IC $250
Charge pipes $400
Custom down pipe/flex pipe/exhaust $500
BOV $150
Cone Filter $50
5th injector $20
E-manage/boost sensor/wbo2 (got it)
Crower d17a2 stage2 boost Cams $300(?)
Adjustable cam gear
+ fittings, misc
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
yeah..01-04 wrx....you can find one these days for right around 18-20k i think....

if you're going with the civic though, i would go with an ex head/block and lx tranny.
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Check out the Nissan Sentra Spec V they're pretty quick 160hp 6 speed tranny and 4 door. They should be in your price range as well.
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
ive got an 05 lx coupe with a d17a2 swap and my a1 tranny and vafc-ii. just got it running today with no bugs. vtec is way better than my a1. i was just going to do an a2 head swap but i bent the rods in my a1 so i just swapped an a2. my lx has remote entry and rather nice 2 tone interior. white car, brown/black interior. the sedans are nice too. if you want to work on one right away, i would buy an lx and swap and a2 with the a1 tranny or just an a2 headswap. if not then go with an ex. theres plenty of parts available. just get ready to do some converting to ex **** if you get an lx. dezod has really came through and gotten us some good parts on the market.
Old 12-05-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
For turbo, go a2 all the way. Especially if you want big numbers. It's possible, trust me, just look at my sig for all the haters that say "k swap" like a broken record.
Old 12-05-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cjdrvr
I really need a sedan, is there a better platform than the civic?

Just test drove a 03 lx this afternoon. The stock performance is really not that great. Asking price is 10k and it has 45k. I expected better interior, and there's no remote entry for this car. I'll check out the EX next.

Any major changes between 01-03 civics?

Think $3000 can get a decent custom kit?

Turbo $600
Manifold $250
IC $250
Charge pipes $400
Custom down pipe/flex pipe/exhaust $500
BOV $150
Cone Filter $50
5th injector $20
E-manage/boost sensor/wbo2 (got it)
Crower d17a2 stage2 boost Cams $300(?)
Adjustable cam gear
+ fittings, misc

Everything looks ok except, don't use an extra injector, just use 4 RSX ones.
The crower cam setup is more like 700 because you need the valvetrain too.
You'll also need oil lines and the $1000 or so worth of nickel and dime parts that you'll also need. theres parts for the A2, but you need to tune for the high cam and the low cam, no vtec makes tuning easier. Problem is you can have a cam for high revs, or a cam for low revs, and you'll sacrifice one or the other.
Old 12-05-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Check out the Nissan Sentra Spec V they're pretty quick 160hp 6 speed tranny and 4 door. They should be in your price range as well.
They blow head gaskets like I go through socks. Its an attempt at making a truck motor be high performance. Not to mention the B15 platform stinks *cough* beam axle *cough*
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

ELTYPESR is an unknown quantity at this point
just get a B serie engine
Old 12-05-2006
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HondaLuver
True! it does make more clear. if yo start with a D17, you accept that by the time you finsh turbo, youll be sitting the same HP output as a stock K motor. make the smart choice... turbo-K
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

sliver01 is an unknown quantity at this point
With regard to the differences between the 01-03 civic they are the same car. However I owned an 01 sedan and have an 03 coupe now and Honda came a long way in those two years in providing better inetior and fit and finish (fabric in the seats, less road noise, etc.). As with all cars if you get them after the first year of the model launch you usually get more value for the same money as manufacturers typically include equipment that may have been options in the first year (remote on the civics for example). Plus after the first year they have worked out any bugs the car may have had (leaking struts on the earlier civics).

As the model run continues on manufacturers have to toss in more value added goodies as the shine of the new model has worn off and other manufaturers have probably developed sexier offerings.

All together between the two cars I put on more than 400k (220 on my current one, over 180 when I traded my 01). Both reliable cars, not fast out of the crate but overall very bullet proof, my 03 runs like new.
Old 12-06-2006

Originally Posted by andyman97
For turbo, go a2 all the way. Especially if you want big numbers. It's possible, trust me, just look at my sig for all the haters that say "k swap" like a broken record.
i could make 500 whp on pump gas 15psi... just by slapping on a turbo...
Old 12-06-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
i could make 500 whp on pump gas 15psi... just by slapping on a turbo...
Yes, its easy to make 500 whp on a k series motor, although not as simple as slapping on any old turbo, its going to cost a hell of alot more to do that. When I said big numbers, I was speaking comparatively between the d17a1 and d17a2. My point is you don't have to drop 5k+ alone on a k series block then another 4500 on a turbo kit to make good numbers.
Old 12-07-2006

Originally Posted by andyman97
Yes, its easy to make 500 whp on a k series motor, although not as simple as slapping on any old turbo, its going to cost a hell of alot more to do that. When I said big numbers, I was speaking comparatively between the d17a1 and d17a2. My point is you don't have to drop 5k+ alone on a k series block then another 4500 on a turbo kit to make good numbers.
mmm kay...
Old 12-07-2006
Registered!!

BoostedVik is an unknown quantity at this point
swap around $5g and turbo kit $4g thats same amount you paid for your car
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

jdm_es2 is an unknown quantity at this point
its all about tuning and building
Old 12-08-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
^that was helpful.

I say go with the LX. I think the vtec will complicate tuning with two cams, and the LX wil be cheaper to buy anyway. As for any marginal increase in performance with the vtec on an N/A motor, after you boost, that difference will be minimal. Someone mentioned having to convert to ex cat, etc. A lot of people are running turbos without a cat, and the header is going to get swapped out anyway as part of the turbo setup, obviously, so I don't see that even being an issue. This all coming from me reading up on this site, considering a turbo. I am, however, a relative noob, driving an almost stock, N/A car, so take it for what it's worth. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2008
Tew
Registered!!

Tew is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Turbo for d17a1 vs d17a2

you can always vtec the A1 engine and bore and stroke it and beef it up. There's nothing like running a custome built engine and parts are starting to show up more for the A1. I Guess its all about prefference and how much work you are willing to put into your car.
Old 09-23-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

heh , welcome to the site nice bump on a 2 year old thread
Old 09-23-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

sweet i remember this thread!
Old 09-23-2008
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough

LMFAO lol yeah what he said and if anyones intrested im selling a cheap k motor look at the siggy but boosting a d17 just depends on how much you will be working it...are u willing to do pistons head work i think the only advantage is the tranny on the a1 i have one for sale also in my siggy
Old 09-23-2008
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough

didnt relize how old the thread was lmfao wooops
Old 09-28-2008
Turbo Guru

Originally Posted by Tew
you can always vtec the A1 engine and bore and stroke it and beef it up. There's nothing like running a custome built engine and parts are starting to show up more for the A1. I Guess its all about prefference and how much work you are willing to put into your car.
How exactly would you go about stroking a d17? What parts are starting to show up exclusively for the a1?
Old 09-28-2008
Turbo Guru

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
sweet i remember this thread!
LMAO, no ****. I was in a good mood that day.

I just reread some of the posts and LMFAO @ I can make 500 whp on pump gas just by slapping a turbo on my k series. YA RIGHT!!!

Quick Reply: Turbo for d17a1 vs d17a2